PDA

View Full Version : Is it a good time to fish at Mammoth?

Ultralight
08-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Never been there but thinking about a short trip up with the family next week during the week. Is this a good time to 'hunt' trout or is fishing difficult? We'll be using jigs primarily and will have limited fishing as most of the time will be spent hiking.

Asking as I just read a post on another forum where the poster stated that fishing is way down this year in the summer.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

UL

Headhunter
08-18-2009, 06:50 PM
I am in Mammoth right now. Came in last saturday, leaving tomorrow.

The fishing does seem to be "less" than in past years. It has been very busy with tourists, though, to the point of great annoyance.....(I suppose that I'M a tourist....).

But it's still worth fishing.

HH

flybug
08-18-2009, 10:46 PM
I felt the fishing was off a bit in the Mammoth area, but it was really windy and overcast when I was there, the bite did come up in the evenings, the fish were rising in great numbers.

Good luck!

Ultralight
08-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks.

Headhunter, are you fishing with jigs? And can you give us a sense of where you fished and the number of fish caught in a day?

Thanks again!
UL

Big Country
08-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Check your PM Ultralight.

christopherstellar
08-19-2009, 01:39 PM
The water levels in the creeks and rivers are getting quite low and fish do seem to be concentrated in the pools. I was just up there this past weekend and must say the fishing was not that spectacular. Right now there is a lot of pressure and if your not the person hitting those holes first your not going to catch fish. My advise is to stick to the lakes using the threaded crawler technique or -if you have a boat- use lead core and be down at least 3 colors using Needlefish. Also, use your electronics and fish the drop offs with lip-ripperz. Good Luck!

Ultralight
08-20-2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks everyone! What do boat rentals cost in that area?

I'll actually be doing lots of hiking and then when we encounter lakes, toss a jig or a metal lure out for maybe 30 minutes and then going on to the next point.

Do scent on lures help?
Also, what color jigs?

Thanks,
UL