PDA

View Full Version : Endeavor 1.375000 Day Report-Aug. 16

daveg456
08-17-2009, 08:56 PM
What??? You never heard of a 1.375 day trip? Well here you go. Actually an overnight but you'll know what I mean later.

Headed down the 5 on Saturday afternoon and see slow traffic as I get to the Domes from the other side. It's slow going all the way to Las Pulgas where the Marines have their tanks and hummers pointed at the freeway so what does every driver decide to do, yup, slow down and check out what was going on which was nothing. Thanks for slowing down my parade, damn lookie loos.

Anyways, get down to the area and stop by L & L for some grub. Katsu curry and a loco moco for Capt. Dave and some gravy for making some for breakfast. Get there around 8. Boat gets in from a 2 day trip where they slayed them and I guess they could have put a lot more on except for some lost fish. Boat gets there around 8:30, do a quick turn around and out by about 9 or so. Get some sardines with bigger ones and some pinners mixed in. Not in the best condition but what are you going to do but just deal with it.

Get out to the grounds about 70 miles south somewhere down towards the Ensenada area. Didn't ask what bank but saw the Holiday, Vagabond and a couple of other boats I couldn't recognize along with a handful of private boats. Seas where slightly crossed up and 2-3 foot swells. It looked like the wind was going to get on it early but the seas and the wind calmed down as the day progressed. Ended up being very pleasant with the sun coming out in the afternoon.

Put the jigs out and started trolling and get a jig strike. Get a handful of fish and keep doing that but towards the mid morning, things started to get slower. Seemed like the fish bit early and later as you will see. We would troll and stop on jig strikes or see some birds working or work a meter mark. The kelps didn't produce anything for us. It was a scratchy bite but we did see fish and metered them down deeper like 100+ deep. Looking back, I should have put out a rig with a weight and sent it down there. Tried the iron for a few for nothing. Next time it's like that, I'm going with the a half ounce or something to get deeper. Worth a try.

Got tangled up by a guy who decided to sit and watch as myself and another guy were fighting a fish and he decides to dangle his bare hook around our poles. So what's the worst thing that could go wrong? You got it, his dangling bare hook and line gets tangled around my line and the other dude's pole and pop, I get broken off. I normally don't get mad but I was kind of pissed. Especially since ...... forget it.

Anyways, get another nice Blue Fin Tuna to gaff and with about a foot to go before he meets my friend with the bamboo and steel hook for an E ticket joyride aboard the boat, the hook pulls loose. Sueno goes for a last ditch free swimmer gaff but the tuna gets free. It was about a 30 lber too. Dang it.

So long story longer, I get a Blue Fin Tuna later so at least I got one so the pressure is off. Well that's all I got. I think my problem was I was using straight 20 lb with no flouro. I had a 25 with flouro but I thought hey, it's 20 lb. they should bite it but it was my mistake not putting it on. Especially with the bait not being the best. 2nd lesson learned.

Well we were about 70 miles out so we call it a day at 3:00 which is kind of pushing it to where we would get back around 9:30 at cruising speed. Well we throttle up and leave the trollers out and put the jigs back farther for the troll back home and to see if we come across anything. Well about 20 minutes later, we get a jig strike put it comes unbuttoned. Dave stops the boat anyways and tells us to start fishing. Well a few people already broke their gear down and were scrambling as we get a few fresh ones hooked up. We get a steady bite on Blue Fin Tuna and albacore. I'm guessing we put on about 10 more fish and a few nice Blue Fin Tuna before we REALLY have to go and it's 4 friggin 30 and were out 60 miles. That's 4:30 for you laymen. Dang. We're on an overnight trip but we're a wannabe day and a half trip. Now that's what I call pushing it. I didn't think they had another trip after us but they had a 1.5 day trip going out. So this gets us back at 10:30 for the next charter. The next group looked a little perturbed as they stood there staring at the empty docks of the boats that had left but Dave wouldn't short change a charter group and kept us out longer knowing that there would be plenty of time to get the next charter out to the fishing grounds in plenty of time for the greylight. Hope they did well.

Final boat count was 25 Bluefin Tuna, 2 Dorado, 7 Skipjack Tuna, 18 Albacore, 2 Yellowfin Tuna for 18 anglers. We lost more than a few too. At the last stop, we saw a lot of fish boiling around us but they just wouldn't bite. So at least they are there.

For me I got 1 Blue Fin Tuna and a couple of woulda, coulda and shouldas but hey, live and learn and that's fishing.

As always, the crew and boat were excellent with Capt. Dave and Diron at the wheel grinding for fish, Russ and Travis on deck tagging and bleeding every tuna before sending them down the chute and Jason with the great homemade burgers. They have some open party trips coming up so if you get a chance, maybe I'll see you out there.

Big Kahuna
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Daveg456:
Nice report. Captain Dave aka Sueno is one of the hardest working skippers in San Diego - he will go the distance to put fish on the boat. I have waited at the docks many times for the overnight trip to come in - latest being 9:30p - so you know Sueno & Crew gives 110% every trip. Both Eddie and Jason are great cooks - the best burgers in the world! My group always raves about how good the food is - fried rice/eggs with portuguese sausage, burgers, prime rib, you name it..it's outstanding. Thanks to you, I'm in the mood for some hearty loco moco. Congrats on the BFT.

kgselect
08-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Very nice. Heartbreaking to lose fish at the gaff. But that's tuna fishing. At least you got one. Thanks for the report.

King Halibut
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Dave,

Nice report, I am going out on 09/03 which is a 1.5 trip.
I have never been on this boat before but it sounds like the captain and crew bust their collective asses to get people on fish.
Hope they are still there in two weeks. Lookin' for that first albacore!

Until then, tight lines!

KH

really_drunk
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
great report daveg456...too bad about the woulda coulda shoulda fish and the guy with the stray hook but sounds like u had a good time n thats what counts!!

JapanRon
08-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi daveg456,

Most excellent report .... even without lots of pictures. Sure would have liked to see the look on your face on that one tangled line bust-off though ..... j/k !

WTG on some nice sushi.

JapanRon

murrieta angler
08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
Mmmmmmm......Loco Moco!:Big Grin:

daveg456
08-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Very nice. Heartbreaking to lose fish at the gaff. But that's tuna fishing. At least you got one. Thanks for the report.

After the fiasco, happy I got at least one.

Hi daveg456,

Most excellent report .... even without lots of pictures. Sure would have liked to see the look on your face on that one tangled line bust-off though ..... j/k !

WTG on some nice sushi.

JapanRon

After all your detailed reports, I figure I can post a report, even without pics.

Mmmmmmm......Loco Moco!:Big Grin:

I'm going to see about getting that on the menu.

great report daveg456...too bad about the woulda coulda shoulda fish and the guy with the stray hook but sounds like u had a good time n thats what counts!!

Yup, even if you don't catch fish, being out on the water reconnects you with nature and puts things in perspective.

Daveg456:
Nice report. Captain Dave aka Sueno is one of the hardest working skippers in San Diego - he will go the distance to put fish on the boat. I have waited at the docks many times for the overnight trip to come in - latest being 9:30p - so you know Sueno & Crew gives 110% every trip. Both Eddie and Jason are great cooks - the best burgers in the world! My group always raves about how good the food is - fried rice/eggs with portuguese sausage, burgers, prime rib, you name it..it's outstanding. Thanks to you, I'm in the mood for some hearty loco moco. Congrats on the BFT.

Yeah they will go where the fish are. Talked with Diron and he mentioned how he hates it when they get back to the dock at 11:30am from a 1.5 day after they went 160 miles.

daveg456
08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Dave,

Nice report, I am going out on 09/03 which is a 1.5 trip.
I have never been on this boat before but it sounds like the captain and crew bust their collective asses to get people on fish.
Hope they are still there in two weeks. Lookin' for that first albacore!

Until then, tight lines!

KH

I was eyeing that trip too. I'll let you know if I go.

Dang it. Sold Out already. I need to keep it on the DL next time. j/k.

Hope whoever's on it has a great trip and posts a nice report.