PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Schoolies 8/16 @"Castache"

Fishthewhaler
08-17-2009, 03:55 PM
My back is kinda sore, so today is Castache!! Cranking in rigs is tough on the herniated back disc..Today I got there early and decided to troll til 715 when Ralph was to join me, son I had to be back at the dock. I brought out the lighter Jimmy Houson Shimano with the calcutta today. Got em both in the holders and headed the beat towards kong. Before c point, Ol Jimmy started screamin!!Damn that was kinda quick I thought. That was out in deep water, it was fun as a few rentals passed me by and watched as I was bendo. Fish was a schoolie. Got the rigs aout and watched C point boil a bit but I was too lazy to pull in the spread, so I just trolled as close to em as I could, short bite..Got another 1/4 mile and Jimmy Houson 2fish, other rig Zero, maybe I will switch colors soon, on the TLD5 rig. Get to the Kong and TLD5 starts talkin back!! Do one lap around the island and now its score: Jimmy houston 2 , and TLD5 2. Ralph calls and says pick me up at the dock. I pull em in and go as fast as the honda 9.9 will allow. Load ralphs gear up and head back on the same pattern. Ralph hasn't witnessed Mr stripey on the trollers yet, he is an old school castaic striper guy, but never did it this way. Well it wasn't long till Ralph was a true believer in it after a couple fish. He said it was better than going out on a party boat right now, at least local fishing. I thought that was kinda cool. We fished a point for an hour or so, where he caught a few LMB's, and I loaded upa 1/2 dozen stripes. We pull up the lines and headed towards LIZ canyon, and got snagged up twice, third time it was fish on. Seems like everytime I hit the unsafe shallow zone, I got fish. We fished our way out of the canyon for a couple more stripers. Ralph had to be back to the dock at 2. I dropped him off with a half dozen stripers, he was off to a BBQ. I headed to the buoy line to see if any bigger units wanted to tangle. Tied up to my same spot I fished moonlight, same scenario. Fish on till I had the box full, and said time to go. No big boys, released a ton of dinks, kept a limit of 13" 14" fish. Sunday schoolies . Whatever your bait of choice, keep it movin a bit, seem like they wanted stuff to not just sit there. I headed back in trolling, trying to dial in the points. both rigs got snagged at one point, but got out free. Released 2 more on the way in.

TroutOnly
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
FTW YOU NEEDED TO TELL RALPH WELCOME TO THE DARKSIDE ,STRIPEY MASS MURDER,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

eddie33081
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow. I have to get out there with all your castaic reports. Been using you guys as my fish report for a while. Might have to get a hold of you T.O. for a guide session.

Liteweight
08-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Sounds like the lake is producing pretty consistently lately. :Smile:

Unfortunately the big 'un don't want to play yet. :Sad: Can't wait for them to come out and play.

WTG; thanks for the post. :Big Grin:

LW

Fishthewhaler
08-18-2009, 04:20 AM
Sounds like the lake is producing pretty consistently lately. :Smile:

Unfortunately the big 'un don't want to play yet. :Sad: Can't wait for them to come out and play.

WTG; thanks for the post. :Big Grin:

LW

10 schoolies actually gives upa decent amount of table fare. A giant bowl of ceviche coming with me to work tomorrow!! I do still need a DD stripey for the resume. one of these days...

vagabond
08-18-2009, 09:13 AM
ftw you got that sh%$t dialed down..:Beer Toast: