PDA

View Full Version : Catalina -quest for other waters though 8-16

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Went out to the big blue on Saturday night /Sunday.

It was a last minute trip for me as Bucketbay called me while I was fishing at marina del rey on my skiff..

So…..I took a run home dropped the boat and turned around and went out..

I Joined Bucketbay (Dwayne) and his 2 pals Victor and Toby and we headed out…

Started out real harshly…1st the snow job king at the bait barge sold us mostly dead squid and tried telling us that the dead was just as good or better….HA !

Then we got just outside the harbor and opened the throttle up….

The motor started bogging at anything over 3grand rpm…

We took apart some things, fuel line filter, gas primer bulb, etc…

We worked for quite some time and at least 3 stops to our trip-..

We got it going great….made it ¾ of the way there then it did it again…

Slow going after that…so we decided to fish Catalina, our target was San Clemente

Started off slow but after a move to slightly deeper water, we got on some action..

BENDO ! ~

Toby was – ON ~…..Hookup !

battling away for quite some time !

Dayam ! these suckas are POWERFULL !

I watched in envy and awe of the sheer power of these fearsome creatures !

As I awaited my shot at the fine worthy adversaries! I’m sure my eyes were as big as silver dollars with excitement of this new species to me !

Toby was fighting that sucka like a trooper and worked on ‘em real hard !

After a real long tiresome battle, Toby’s fish wrapped him in the anchor and unfortunately and regrettably got away : (

So sorry buddy : (

Immediately Dwayne was ON ! ~

Zzzzz………Zzzzzzzzz!.....Zzzzzzz!

Real long runs and power played deep tugging runs were the word for the day !

Dwayne battled on and made way on this brutal drag peeler !

He had it maybe 7/10ths of the way in and unfortunately the hook pulled out …….
(Dayam again !)

Imediately I look over at my rod in the holder going bend-o….by the time I grabbed it, the feesh had different ideas and broke me off on my 40 lb rig….Hmnnnn ~

I didn’t get a chance to even grab the pole…

Then it was Victors turn….

Hookup !~…..he slayed that sucka in a quiet calm…….that fish was working ‘em hard but the more the fish gave out….the more Victor quietly gave back..

After a long worthy battle, Victors fish hits the gaff…then the boat…Sooooo Sweeet !
White Seabass delight!
Sweet job brotha !

Shortly after….Victor hooks up again and slays him down without a word…

EVEN BIGER !

Dayam !

Another sweet TOAD !

We started calling him the “Silent Killa’!”

Here are his 2 awesome catches !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/catalina8-16-09-gary-victor-WSB.jpg

After a while I thought maybe I had missed my shot at these suckas but after a little bit…

BENDO !~

Zzzzz ….Zzzzzzz Zzzzzzzz !
Holy drag peelers batman…this fish had an attitude !
I thought he was gonna spool me out on the 1st run !

I worked him off to the right……then I worked him behind the boat to the right….then behind the boat then off to the left of the boat and he started heading towards the anchor area…..No! no…no no !
TheN I got him turned back towards the back again and then real deep….

Straight down near the stern was where I did a straightup standoff…he waas real deep still with his head down and he wasn’t gonna give up this epic battle !

I’d gain 5’ and he’d take 10’..

I had 3 layers of clothes and I was sweating up a storm but I wasn’t gonna give up either…

After a real long, 3 alarm, arm tiring drag peeling battle….Dwayne gaff’s ‘em up solid and as I saw the fish come over the deck I was elated in my victory !

Yellowtail victory ! Dayam !

My 1st Yellowtail
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/catalina8-16-09-garyyellowtail.jpg

These suckas are pit bulls and I had heard how they are stubborn brutes but no amount of words can prepare you for that ride they take you on !

I cannot say how much I enjoyed not only hunting a new species but actually landing one !

I have been wanting to attack them for years but my seasickness stopped me from attempting the quest !

Got that seasickness out of the way now…the flood gates are opening and I got a feva’ !

That was it for that action so we went on to other areas searching…

We found a honeyhole for the nice solid whitefish that dwell there, we worked on the whitefish for a while and we all caught a good deal of these suckas…

This is an average one we slayed !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/catalina8-16-09-garywhitefish.jpg

We also caught a small number of real solid Sandbass with real attitudes as well, we didn’t photo those.

I want to thank the guys again for having me along to share in that wonderful day and new experience for me.

It was a day I’ll remember for a lifetime.

I’ll also commend everyone on the trip for hanging in there even with the boat issues, a lesser man would have turned back and cancelled.

Your all class acts in my book !

I cannot wait to get out there again !
Whata nice bounty……there must be Blooooood !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/catalina8-16-09-blood.jpg

Till then,
Gary

hbomb
08-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Good Job guys,, its about time you caught something vic, :ROFL: jk...... :Razz:

Odium
08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Damn Vic!! Nice Slayage!!! Might be a pain to get them stones out on your own. . .

GeordyBass
08-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Well Done GARYBOY!!
Nice job guys you guys killed some at least with engine problems...

S*** happens...lol...

TroutOnly
08-17-2009, 02:35 PM
GREAT JOB FELLAS, CONGRATS ON YOURE FIRST Y/T GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

troutdog
08-17-2009, 02:39 PM
WTG out there...congrats on the wsb and yellow!

TD

fishinone
08-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Congrat's on the Yellowtail Gary.

I've been trying to get out there to try for some of those. So far we've been turned back by the weather.

cappo
08-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Perch pounder slayed the wsb. Nice job vic.

victor101
08-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Awesome write up Gary! It was cool meeting you...Thanks for posting up the pics. I made sure to charge my camera before we left and i forgot to grab it on the way out :mad:. Im glad I came along for this one...Sure was a trip i wont soon forget!

Congrats on your first of many Yellowtail!

hakaveli
08-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Nice going on the exotics guys. Man Ive been MIA on some other business i need to go after those biggens again GRRRRRRR

Bucket bay
08-17-2009, 04:12 PM
First and foremost I would like to thank Toby for having me onboard and for allowing me to invite two cool fishing friend on this trip and I would like to thank Vic and Gary for joining me on this trip.
I glad I was able to help Gary get his first Yellowtail and Vic his PB on the white sea bass I hade my shot on a good fish and lost it so I cant complain.

Good times good people
BB

BIGRED KILLA
08-17-2009, 06:56 PM
I had to read the title twice Gary at Catalina.. Very nice first Yellow Gary they fight like no other way to break in your seasickness on a nice fish. Those are some nice WSB' Victor glad you guys went out and found the Catalina exotics. Thanks for the pics and report Keep it up out there.

Bigred

olfishergal
08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
WTG out there guys..........I have a name of a jeweler who make jewelry out of the stones........let me know if u want it.......I love catching those bigger models. Looks like Cat has finally really got going.....Time for a trip. OFG

daveg456
08-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Nice job and congrats on your first yt. Now you're hooked. Since you have no excuse now you know you're due for a tuna trip before the season ends. Looking forward to that read.

Red Drum
08-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Nice bunch of fish guys...WTG!

Oz
08-17-2009, 07:43 PM
i know vic was happy u guys didnt make it to SCI :ROFL: 2 WSB. congrats homie. fresh dead squid does wonders :Cool:

supasportkid
08-17-2009, 07:55 PM
good job out there fellas!

victor101
08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Damn Vic!! Nice Slayage!!! Might be a pain to get them stones out on your own. . .

Wasnt really a pain...just had to figure out where the dam stones were

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/003-3.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/013-1.jpg

i know vic was happy u guys didnt make it to SCI :ROFL: 2 WSB. congrats homie. fresh dead squid does wonders :Cool:

I wwould of been happy wherever we would of ended up at...u know me LOL...i just want to fish! They were caught on live BTW...

cappo
08-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Those look like Haks teeth

hbomb
08-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Wasnt really a pain...just had to figure out where the dam stones were

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/003-3.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/ogvictor1/013-1.jpg

I wwould of been happy wherever we would of ended up at...u know me LOL...i just want to fish! They were caught on live BTW...

Talk about tearing it up.. :Razz:

CAPT'N
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice job on the WSB and CONGRATS Gary on the Yellow Tail. they are very worth advisaries.

Capt'n

Wingnut
08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Uh oh, Gary cured his seasickness. :Twisted: I guess you will be spending less time at the Duct now. :Wink: Congrats Vic on the nice WSB and Gary on your first Yellow. I haven't tangled with one in years, but the memories of the battle will never leave me. :Cool:

CAPT'N
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I have never been hurt worse by a feesh than by my PB yellow at Cedros in June of 07. It was 57 LBs, and kicked my *** on 30# mono.

My back has never been the same:Bug Eyes::Bug Eyes:

Hometown
08-17-2009, 10:13 PM
them yellows will kill you if you let them pull like crazy whenever you get the head turned the fish at the cortez can get huge when i was decking in the 80z and early 90 one of my buddys got one that went 72 lbs it made the 30 lbrs on the boat look small i need to get back to the bank

Oz
08-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Those look like Haks teeth

:ROFL::ROFL:

yes i know homie...thats cool u had some live still..just was saying doesnt matter live or dead u can catch them...now wheres some fillets fool :LOL:

Ambassadorhawg
08-18-2009, 06:26 AM
YEAH!!! WTG on the yellow. And you thought them Stipeys pulled hard, huh? Welcome to a whole new ball game...

Whenever you hook big game stuff like that, always yell, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-18-2009, 01:17 PM
WTG out there...congrats on the wsb and yellow!

TD

A day to remember...thanks : )

Gary

Congrat's on the Yellowtail Gary.

I've been trying to get out there to try for some of those. So far we've been turned back by the weather.
Thank you....get out there on them suckas !
unbeleivable !

Perch pounder slayed the wsb. Nice job vic.
This guys a stone cold methodical fish killer ! I'm impressed, he handled them toads with cool and collected moves....I'm sure many people panic and error....

I like his style !

Awesome write up Gary! It was cool meeting you...Thanks for posting up the pics. I made sure to charge my camera before we left and i forgot to grab it on the way out :mad:. Im glad I came along for this one...Sure was a trip i wont soon forget!

Congrats on your first of many Yellowtail!
What more could be said, I told the truth and a play by play....so SWEET !

No wories bout the pics, glad we could document the experience, cant wait to watch that video again of my YT coming over the rail....gonna play that again and again !

I had a great time out there, you all were class a company and everyone laid down the slay...couldnt ask for more !

Nice going on the exotics guys. Man Ive been MIA on some other business i need to go after those biggens again GRRRRRRR
Thanks, don't be surprised to see me out and about in those stomping grounds more often !

First and foremost I would like to thank Toby for having me onboard and for allowing me to invite two cool fishing friend on this trip and I would like to thank Vic and Gary for joining me on this trip.
I glad I was able to help Gary get his first Yellowtail and Vic his PB on the white sea bass I hade my shot on a good fish and lost it so I cant complain.

Good times good people
BB

I'm so glad I took you guys up on that trip....I'm still playing that whole thing out in my mind...it won't espcape me for a long while.

Thanks again for inviting me along to you Dwayne and another big thanks to Toby for being so gratious to allow someone he never met along on his sweet ride !

I had one of the best days fishing I can remember, I'd say it's well within the top 5 maybe top 3 !

EXCELLENT DAY....good fun and GREAT company !

I had to read the title twice Gary at Catalina.. Very nice first Yellow Gary they fight like no other way to break in your seasickness on a nice fish. Those are some nice WSB' Victor glad you guys went out and found the Catalina exotics. Thanks for the pics and report Keep it up out there.

Bigred

Man, it's so nice just to be able to go out there w/o getting sick....and fish to boot !

PRICELESS !

Love that battle....can't wait for the next....maybe this weekend !

Victor tore it UP !.....THE SILENT KILLA'

THIS GUY SCARES ME, I'm not sure I want to get into a jackpot with him....he'll slay and slay again without mentioning that you now owe him 20 bucks : )

Thanks for the props...that experience was just plain SICK !

WTG out there guys..........I have a name of a jeweler who make jewelry out of the stones........let me know if u want it.......I love catching those bigger models. Looks like Cat has finally really got going.....Time for a trip. OFG
I really gotta follow things closer nowadays to see the hotter zones...for years I turned a blind eye to this action knowing I couldnt tap into it...

I am looking foward to my 1st WSB in that class too...I've landed 2 legals and tons of other sub legal fish but those 2 wonderfull fish Vic got on were just beasts now matter how you slice it !

Congrats again to you Vic !

Nice job and congrats on your first yt. Now you're hooked. Since you have no excuse now you know you're due for a tuna trip before the season ends. Looking forward to that read.
Thank you !
Being hooked is an understatement.....I got a disease now......ohh man...cant even describe it....it's gonna get sick !

I may head back out on a cattle boat this weekend possibly

Nice bunch of fish guys...WTG!
Thanks man, I just ate some solid 3" steaks last night.....ahhh man...soooo tasty !

gonna do more tonight !

good job out there fellas!
Thanks, I'll always remember that trip and that particular fish...whatta blast !

Uh oh, Gary cured his seasickness. :Twisted: I guess you will be spending less time at the Duct now. :Wink: Congrats Vic on the nice WSB and Gary on your first Yellow. I haven't tangled with one in years, but the memories of the battle will never leave me. :Cool:
I will still continue attacks on the duct, especially with that huge toad I lost the other night...

This just equates to even less sleep and re-organizing my trip schedules..

20 years of pent up open salt fishing is about to unfold and has started already...I got a feva' second to none...

I'm not kidding !

I'm reved up in a way I have not experienced in years !

"Daddy likes" and Daddy "wants som mo'"

I actually feel sorry for those fish right now.....they are gonna get a pounding when I release all this possitive energy at them !

woo Hooooooooo! It's Ooooooooooooooooooooooon !

Damn staright about not forgetting the experience !

I'll remember that fish for a lifetime, I saved it's tail as well as a momento !

Gonna get on some mo' sooooon !

I have never been hurt worse by a feesh than by my PB yellow at Cedros in June of 07. It was 57 LBs, and kicked my *** on 30# mono.

My back has never been the same:Bug Eyes::Bug Eyes:
I am a quick healer, let 'em break me ! I can take it or die trying !

57 lbs huh ? damn....that's sick.....I'd love ta see a pic

I've got a whole new respect for that species now !

them yellows will kill you if you let them pull like crazy whenever you get the head turned the fish at the cortez can get huge when i was decking in the 80z and early 90 one of my buddys got one that went 72 lbs it made the 30 lbrs on the boat look small i need to get back to the bank
I took a real beatdown on 40lb gear, makes me wonder if this particular fish was one of those homeguards, I don't really have anything to compare it to at this point I just know this sucka was real powerfull and stubborn.

I worked that fish real hard ! (and long !), I even noted at one point during the battle that I was making sure he knew who was boss and gave him some power checks while I tried to turn 'em...he answered right back with pulling another 3-6 foot of drag...

dayam !..

saweet !

I was cautious though not to apply too much pressure to break off or rip the hook free.

I was told ahead of time that these suckas pretty much set the hook themselves in the beginning but I went ahead and gave it a good solid Ummmpff! during it 1st initial long drag peeling run.

I don't know but I felt better by doing that but I was very aware not to do a LMB yank on 'em at that point so I didnt yank the hook free.

Seemed to work out best in the end, I suppose I'll apply the same method on the next one but only time will tell if I should continue doing that or not....it's a new experience for me, I'll get it wired sooner than later...

I'm looking forward to the new experiences : )

I can only imagine what a 50 plus would do to you.....
I am looking foward to the abuse !
Gary

YEAH!!! WTG on the yellow. And you thought them Stipeys pulled hard, huh? Welcome to a whole new ball game...

Whenever you hook big game stuff like that, always yell, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

I think I already yelled that (in fact I know I did) and at least 5 other notable quotes and probaly at least that many cuss words...

Them stripers do fisht well indeed but these yellows are in a class themselves !

4g63power
08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
congrats on your first yellow! now you wont be able to sleep at night cuz you have the yellow fever!

CAPT'N
08-18-2009, 05:18 PM
Gary,
arent you glad I talked you into that kids trip last year............Look whats evolved!

You ask, you receive..................

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm302/schiffmans/577.jpg

As you can see it was grey light......I was toat before breakfast..:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Jackpot fish on that trip................

Capt'n

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Good Job guys,, its about time you caught something vic, :ROFL: jk...... :Razz:
Persistence pays off....if thats the payday...I wouldnt mind paying those dues !

I know he chased them suckas for a bit but didn't quit !

Vic....the SLAYA' !

Well Done GARYBOY!!
Nice job guys you guys killed some at least with engine problems...

S*** happens...lol...
Thanks, where theres a will theres a way....we pulled it through where most would have gone home.....we did considerably well given the conditions we were put up against.

GREAT JOB FELLAS, CONGRATS ON YOURE FIRST Y/T GARY,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o

Ohhh Bob, wait till I get out there and get a few more under my belt.....

Thax for da props....I think my fishing dementia is about to spiral out of control !

breeze71
08-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Good job bro!

...aren't you supposed to eat the heart of the first yellow you catch? u wuss :Envious:

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Good job bro!

...aren't you supposed to eat the heart of the first yellow you catch? u wuss :Envious:

I'M CURRENTLY EATING EVERYTHING...HEART, GILLS, TAIL, FINS, MISC ENTRAILS !

Everythings getting cooked and eatin' !

Ha ha ha ha

pokerface12
08-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Very nice job out there guys.

crappiemike
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
good job for your yellow!!!

cm

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a sweet video of the fish coming to the gaff and me landing it but I cussed twice in it...

Does anyone have ability to edit 2 words from audio ? or remove the audio altogether ??

Cangler
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Gratz man , i've never caught a yellow and id love too ..
The bait guy was part right , dead squid is awesome WSB bait

BIGRED KILLA
08-20-2009, 04:48 PM
I have a sweet video of the fish coming to the gaff and me landing it but I cussed twice in it...

Does anyone have ability to edit 2 words from audio ? or remove the audio altogether ??

Thats your first yellowtail and your first trip without getting seasick post it just say it is rated R lol i love the gaff/kill shots.

Bigred

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Rated R warning

Well, heres a video of me landing the YT.

Sorry bout the language so beware, I think I did a no no twice in my excitement...not too bad though

If anyone has a way to edit those words out..please lend me a hand and edit it for me...I cannot figure out a way to do it...I don't have the original footage..
only this link

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/nn118/bucketbay/?action=view&current=yellowtail.flv