PDA

View Full Version : Long Run 8/15

webmaster
08-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Left early Sat. morning with my friend John. The plan was to pick up some squirts and head over to SCI for the morning yellowtail bite.
Got a nice scoop of squid from SPBC and headed out. We got about 10 miles out and I decided to check the bait and noticed the water is not circulating in the tank and it is all dead already.
Decided to go to Catalina and see if we could buy some more. Found the LBC and picked up another 1/2 scoop. Got to SCI a little later than planned and found out that the bite was hot in the morning but died out about the time we got there. Soaked the squirts for a while and then decided to head offshore and search for bluefin, albacore and paddys.
Headed to the W butterfly bank, then trolled to the 43 spot for nada. Stopped on a bunch of paddys that had tons of bait but no fish under them.
Started heading home and got about 7 miles NW of the 43 when I spotted a nice paddy with lots of bird on it. We pulled up and saw a school of 20-30 pound dorado swimming around. Dropped in the squirts and within a few minutes John and I are double hooked up, but they are not fighting like dodo, instead they are going into the paddy and deep. Got them both up and they turned out to be nice 20 pound yelllowtails!
Set back up un the paddy and I get another hit but this time when I set the hook a nice bull dorado jumps out of the water. Kicked my but on #20 test and almost spooled me twice, but almost and hour later I got him on the boat.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/jeff/dodo11.jpg
He was 23.7 on the digital scale. My PB for dodo. We hit up a few more paddys on the way home but all were the same story - tons of baitfish but nothing else. Saw a marlin and threw a brail of squid at him but he wasnt interested in that. Also saw a few sharks on the surface including one that was 100+. Nice weather the whole time until we got back up to LB, then it was snotty. Put over 200 miles on the boat and burned only 40 gallons of gas.

http://fishinghotpage.com/images/jeff/myfish.jpg
Nighttime shot of my fish. Didn't get a picture of Johns YT, but it was about the same size.

Liteweight
08-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Yep. That's my definiton of fun.

Very nice DODO.

Some good fuel mileage also!

LW

JapanRon
08-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Hi webmaster,

WTG on the stick-with-it !! Nice fish for sure ! In Japan we call that grade of Dorado (Shira) a 'meter over' fish (me~ta o~ba) being ....... well over a meter long. Good job.

Thanks,

JapanRon

supasportkid
08-16-2009, 09:00 PM
congrats on the pb dodo! 200 miles! thats alotta drivin, well worth it

BIGRED KILLA
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice job out there on the dodo and tails and only 40 gallons of gas what H.P is the outboard. Thanks for the pics and report keep it up out there.

Bigred

Rooster
08-16-2009, 11:04 PM
Nicely done Jeff, Always enjoy reading your reports. Bitchen BULL :Thumbs Up: Props

TroutOnly
08-17-2009, 08:52 AM
GREAT JOB JEFF, S-C-I IS THE PLACE FOR SOME GREAT FISHING,,,,t/o

sansou
08-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Nice job Jeff!

Good looking bull dorado and nice yeller!

The F/V Keilani shoots....and scores!

pineapple express
08-19-2009, 02:10 AM
wtg jeff... sounds like a fun day on the water.
mahaloz for the report.
PE

webmaster
08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks everybody for the nice comments.

The 40HP Merc gets great mileage, but only does about 13kt when fully loaded. Once we burned most of the fuel and dumped the bait, we did 15-18kt coming home.

I'm looking to upgrade to a 90HP soon. That should give me some more knots and still get good mileage.

Kevman
08-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Awesome catch! What kind of boat do you have? That's an impressive run with a 40HP.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Damn sweeeeeeet !

an hour of battle must have worked you over and then some.

Huge congrats on besting that sucka especially on that light line.

Niice !

Congrats to both of you