PDA

View Full Version : O.C. article about Huntington Beach Pier

bchbum54
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/pier-fishermen-surfers-2528882-stemmer-lines

Dude i surfed back in the days but the thought of closing part of the pier for surffers is gay.

spooks
08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
why do fisherman always have to get the back seat, you would thing we dont pay taxes like everybody else.
why are we the last ones on the beach with any rights to it.
it makes me boil.

Liteweight
08-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Seems to me if you were fishing from the beach in the surf, the surfers would tell you to go fish from the pier. Now they want to dictate where on the pier to fish???
If you want to get the City Councils attention, anglers should write the City Council and inform them that they will boycott all business' on the pier by going elsewhere if not allowed to utilize the fishing locations best suited for the species targeted. After all, angler's will usually patronize shops on the pier where surfer do not (at least not to the extent that angler's and their families do...$$$).
In these economic times, hit them where they'll pay attention. Many cities rely on business tax revenue to fill their coffers.
Even though I don't fish there very often, I intend to write a brief e-mail to the city council that if they restrict the fishing locations on the pier, I and my family and friends will find another angler friendly place in which to patronize. (I might also drop a hint of the power of the internet and fishing blogs contained within).
If I lived in the area and knew some of the business' on the pier, I might also inform them of how this decision could hurt their business.
I would call on all anglers to take a minute or so to send a short e-mail expressing their concerns on this issue.
LW

FishermanStu
08-17-2009, 12:07 AM
do you know how much revenue surfing brings to the city of huntington beach? did you guys have your head in the sand during the us open? do you really think they care that the fisherman have to move out another 50 yards past the breakers?

doyoufishmuch
08-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I get that HB makes alot from surf contests, but it should come down to safety. By which I mean surfing next to the pier isnt even safe to begin with. Fishing lines are no big deal when compared to the razor sharp pilings under the pier. They shouldn't be allowed to get close to it in the first place. So they want fisherman to move further out so they can get closer?? Hopefully some common sense will prevail in the city council.

spooks
08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
do you know how much revenue surfing brings to the city of huntington beach? did you guys have your head in the sand during the us open? do you really think they care that the fisherman have to move out another 50 yards past the breakers?

are my taxes any less important than the surfers or any other citizen.
it comes down to the rights of an individual.
who goin to move the surfer away.
today is the fisherman being deny the right to fish, who's next to be deny the right to do what?

calico killer kevin
08-17-2009, 10:33 PM
The surfers are supposed to be 50 yeards away from the piling anyway, right? If not I will continue to surf near the pilings and weave between 50lb line, an array of large sized trble hooks, and 8oz sinkers.:Big Grin:

SHAD MAN 09
08-18-2009, 02:08 PM
The surfers are supposed to be 50 yeards away from the piling anyway, right? If not I will continue to surf near the pilings and weave between 50lb line, an array of large sized trble hooks, and 8oz sinkers.:Big Grin:

:ROFL::ROFL: Its getting dumb with everyone feeling like victims and trying to make up some b/s rules. HAlf the people that surf suck anyway they can go somewhere else :Big Grin:

Ready 2 Go
08-18-2009, 04:54 PM
The surfers are wrong on this one, if they are really "surfers"

What a bunch of Barneys if they have to use the current next to the pier. Man up and paddle away from the pier. If they can't then they should not be surfing near any pier anyways.

No wonder they get caught in the lines -founders.

The two guys in this the story will be Darwin awards winners soon. One probably can't fish and the other can't surf, but I bet they both talk $heet.

Ready 2 Go

smokehound
08-20-2009, 05:49 AM
when surfers run over my line, i yank back hard. Mwahaha!

calico killer kevin
08-20-2009, 04:23 PM
The surfers are wrong on this one, if they are really "surfers"

What a bunch of Barneys if they have to use the current next to the pier. Man up and paddle away from the pier. If they can't then they should not be surfing near any pier anyways.

No wonder they get caught in the lines -founders.

The two guys in this the story will be Darwin awards winners soon. One probably can't fish and the other can't surf, but I bet they both talk $heet.

Ready 2 Go
Really? Then what's your definition of a "surfer"?

Kelly Slater get towed around on a jet ski all the time. Is he not your definition of an OG surfer?

Don't take offense, I'm just venting cause I f'ed up my favorite board today.

Fish Dog
08-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Just pulled up google maps and checked and there's roughly 8.33 miles of beach within the City of Huntington Beach that the surfers can choose from. On the other hand, the fishermen that want to target surf species off the HB pier have about what, 30 yards, (the distance of a good cast), on each side of the pier. That's 14660.8 yards vs. 60 yards. In other words the fishermen want 4% (if my math's right) of the ocean vs. 96% for the surfers...damn selfish fishermen...

FishermanStu
08-20-2009, 09:54 PM
what you cant surf fish from the beach? its illegal to use those 14660.8 yards to fish? the same reason you fish by the pier is why they surf by the pier. its just better there.

Fish Dog
08-21-2009, 10:47 AM
what you cant surf fish from the beach? its illegal to use those 14660.8 yards to fish? the same reason you fish by the pier is why they surf by the pier. its just better there.

Sure you can surf fish anywhere but we're talking about pier fishing, aren't we? And there are people that aren't capable, due to tackle or skill, to cast into the surf and there are people that can't afford a license that can't (legally) fish from the beach, only the pier (no license required).

BTW, I checked my math and I was wrong. It's actually 0.4% of the surf that the fisherman want vs 99.6% the surfers can surf in...makes them (fishermen) sound all that much more selfish...

Troutman65
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Sure you can surf fish anywhere but we're talking about pier fishing, aren't we? And there are people that aren't capable, due to tackle or skill, to cast into the surf and there are people that can't afford a license that can't (legally) fish from the beach, only the pier (no license required).

BTW, I checked my math and I was wrong. It's actually 0.4% of the surf that the fisherman want vs 99.6% the surfers can surf in...makes them (fishermen) sound all that much more selfish...

Your spot on there .

0.4 % we are just so very selfish. ( Fisherman)

guest007
08-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Hmmm, "Surf City, USA." Site of the US Open of Surfing. Numerous surf shops up, down, and all around Main Street. Huge tourist dollars during the summer, mostly because of the connection with surfing. How do you think this is going to turn out? And, what exactly is wrong with fishing further down the pier? Most of the time, the further out on the pier, the better the fishing.
Don't put fishing ahead of safety, and then call the surfers selfish.

daveg456
08-21-2009, 02:41 PM
I've been on both sides, getting tangled in fishing line and fishing from the pier. When your surfing, the wave dictates where you'll end up so you can't just surf away from the pier. And the line is impossible to see so its hard to avoid it if your going full speed. If your fishing, there's a zone where the power pocket of the wave breaks by the pier and where the surfer will be travelling in that section of the pier. Just fish above or below that area. But that probably won't work since guys are paddling out in all areas.

As far as the economic thing and what the city will support, when you have two mall type surf shops on the corner of pch and main along with about 10 other surf related shops on main st., the city knows where their bread is buttered. Sorry to say but HB didn't copyright Surf City, USA because of the excellent perch fishing.

bsp
08-21-2009, 03:03 PM
And, what exactly is wrong with fishing further down the pier? Most of the time, the further out on the pier, the better the fishing.

Go try to catch corbina at the end of the pier and you'll understand why some guys are pissed off about this.

The base of the pier tends to be less crowded too, so guys will target surf perch, corbina, or spotfin there to get away from the crowds at the end. Also, quite a few people prefer those species as opposed to mackerel, sardines, or bonita that the end produces. Halibut fishing tends to be better closer to the base of the pier too.

The way I see it the fishermen are going to lose this one. Surfers > Fishermen everywhere, but especially in Surf City USA.

I think both sides are at fault since I have seen some real idiots at the Manhattan Beach Pier, and I am sure the same crap happens everywhere. Surfer thinks it's a good idea to surf right next to the pier where guys are snagging, gets impaled by mass of trebles, yells at fishermen, guys meet at base of pier, fight ensues, cops show up, nice rides to the station for both. Surfer thinks it's funny to cut guy's line for no reason, fisherman tosses lead at surfer's head. Fisherman decides it's a brilliant strategy to fish right in the middle of line up, hits/hooks surfer, surfer comes up on pier as fisherman is oblivious, fight ensues.

My favorite one though is when the guy decides to paddle in between the pilings at the end of the pier and creates a huge mess with himself at the center. That one is great, and usually needs the lifeguards to sort out as the moron is usually so tangled he can't go into shore.

The beach communities tends to side with the surfers as more of these residents surf as opposed to fish, and the communities draw more revenue from surfers (greater number of them) than fishermen.

As for the whole fishing on the beach argument, you get tossed off the beach so fast in the summer by lifeguards if you try to surf fish anytime between 9am and 4pm. The rule is 50yds away from all people in the water or the lifeguard's discretion, and while you might be fine for 30min some idiot family is going to decide to plop down right behind you and run into the water EXACTLY where you are standing. That's when Mr. Lifeguard shows up.

daveg456
08-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Hmmm, "Surf City, USA." Site of the US Open of Surfing. Numerous surf shops up, down, and all around Main Street. Huge tourist dollars during the summer, mostly because of the connection with surfing. How do you think this is going to turn out? And, what exactly is wrong with fishing further down the pier? Most of the time, the further out on the pier, the better the fishing.
Don't put fishing ahead of safety, and then call the surfers selfish.

P.S. I wasn't copying you but I saw your post later.

WARRIORMIKE
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
We pay a fee to the state of California to fish!! :Crying:Do surfers pay to surf? :Rolls Eyes:Does our license go up every year to fish? Again we (fisherman) generate money for this broke azzz state!:Angry::Angry: If surfers don't like it then they should have a "surfers license":Idea: Let them (surfers) bring money into this state, just like everyone else does who has a passion for there hobbies. :Wink:Surfers don't pay for anything but there boards and wetsuits, make them pay!!!!:Angry::Angry:

calico killer kevin
08-25-2009, 12:32 AM
We pay a fee to the state of California to fish!! :Crying:Do surfers pay to surf? :Rolls Eyes:Does our license go up every year to fish? Again we (fisherman) generate money for this broke azzz state!:Angry::Angry: If surfers don't like it then they should have a "surfers license":Idea: Let them (surfers) bring money into this state, just like everyone else does who has a passion for there hobbies. :Wink:Surfers don't pay for anything but there boards and wetsuits, make them pay!!!!:Angry::Angry:

So pier fisherman pay for their licenses? Nope...

Do surfers pay to surf? Nope..

Does our license go up every year? Yep...

Do fisherman generate more money for the state, than the surfers? Not is Surf City it doesn't...

Hope I've addressed your concerns...

WARRIORMIKE
08-25-2009, 11:00 AM

Do fisherman generate more money for the state, than the surfers? Not is Surf City it doesn't...

As a whole the fishing community is a lot bigger than surfers. Plus with parking fees and forest adventure passes that we have to get if we want to fish in some of our local mountains, fisherman pay for it all.

smokehound
08-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I would say that fishing does Far far more for the local businesses like liquor stores that sell bait, sporting goods stores, WALMART, just about any store that deals in marine recreation. Fishermen also support gas stations majorly, with many driving to the beach from quite far away. I run into people on piers all the time that came from RIVERSIDE.

And it's not just bait and tackle. Fishermen buy paddleboards, kayaks, hobies, boats, float tubes.

Then you have the fast food joints. They make huge amounts of money from fishermen too.

Plus fishermen love beer, alot more than surfers do. We have the sedentary lifestyles to prove it. :lol:

Even surfers themselves support the sportfishing industry, by buying many brands that also cater to sportfishing in major ways, not to mention alot of them are buying some expensive *****. Also Cyclists (and there are quite a few of those in HB) contribute greatly.

This is a bad idea. Discouraging fishermen is just going to make them lose money.

daveg456
08-25-2009, 04:36 PM

Do surfers pay to surf? Nope..

Does our license go up every year? Yep...

Hope I've addressed your concerns...

If you look at the overall picture, there are more fishermen than surfers so they will contribute more to the economy. But the issue here is specific to HB and the HB pier.

On any given day, there are probably 100Xs more people surfing in HB than there are fishing on the pier. Each one either has a city beach pass, a state beach pass(some both) or put quarters in the meter and some park for free.

Just for myself-

Surfing
$125-City pass
$125-State pass

Fishing
$45-Fishing License

I haven't fished on the pier in years but I surf in HB a lot. So if we are comparing HB pier fishing vs. surfing in HB, it's no contest. But if you factor in all the costs of fishing, especially if you go out on a boat, it is way more expensive than surfing and contributes more to the economy. I guess it's all in how you look at it but I don't think it's an us vs. them thing as a lot of surfers that love to fish too. We can argue in circles but I think it comes down to the safety issue and probably preserving the surfing image that is so important for the city to attract the tourist dollars.

smokehound
08-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Whatever the case, no surfers should be surfing near any pier or jetty anyway!

In Oceanside, their pier has a 100 feet ordinance.

Im not sure if this is all piers, if it is, the surfers need to butt out and follow rules.

Piers are dangerous. Surfers should not be anywhere near them.

In this case, any surfer getting tangled brought it on his/herself. Unless the anglers went further than 100 feet with their cast.

calico killer kevin
08-26-2009, 12:24 AM
I understand what you guys are saying, but don't lose sight of the topic. Who the F mentioned cyclists, kayakers, boaters or float tubers? This is about surfers vs. fisherman in Huntington Beach. In Huntington Beach AKA Surf City, surfing will always overshadow fishing, no matter what. I agree that fishing is larger worldwide, but we're talking about Huntington Beach. Ain't no Adventure passes or mountains. If you seriously think that fishing benefits HB more than surfing, you are a fool.

smokehound
08-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Well.. how about.. we destroy the pier, and shut both sides up then?

:lol:

WARRIORMIKE
08-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Well.. how about.. we destroy the pier, and shut both sides up then?

:lol:

Well then the surfers would win. :Shocked:
But I would want to be there for the explosion! :Twisted::Twisted::Twisted:

WARRIORMIKE
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
I understand what you guys are saying, but don't lose sight of the topic. Ain't no Adventure passes or mountains. If you seriously think that fishing benefits HB more than surfing, you are a fool.

Dude maybe you don't :Rolls Eyes:

The problem with fisherman is we get "pinged" on every darn thing. Fisherman shell out a lot of money in this state. With lakes being dried up to lakes and streams being shut down fisherman are going to lean towards other means of fishing. So you might see a few more fisherman on the pier?? More lines?? Surfers, just like fisherman need to be aware and respect there surroundings. No surfing by the pier!! Pier fisherman are stationary. Meaning that they cant really go anywhere. So to avoid surfers they would have to leave. Or surfers are just going to have to move!!

calico killer kevin
08-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I do think the surfers should be 100ft from the pier, but that's probably not going to happen. This decision is not up to the STATE. It is in the hands on the HB councilmen. They could care less whether fisherman are getting "pinged" all over the state or how much revenue the state is receiving. The issue is pier fisherman and surfers in HB. And in HB, surfing rules, period...