PDA

View Full Version : Bass boat in the Harbor?

sliu6122
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Have anyone taken their bass boat into the harbor(salt) without having any problems?? I understand as long as you clean your boat well then it should be fine... but another person told me to pay someone 100 dollars everytime to professionally clean it for you or else it will ruin your motor... Is this true?? Please help, just bought a new bass boat.

lalo56
08-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Well like anything else. Salt will rust metals if you dont clean it properly. Thats why you see alot of condensers rusted and need to replace due to rust.

fisherman from long beach
08-16-2009, 02:44 PM
i have a lil monark bass boat im strictly gonna use it for the bays.i think if you clean them properly you will be alright.

sliu6122
08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
What is the proper way to clean it. I heard your suppose to flush the engine 3-5 mins with fresh water. Do you also scrub the bottom of the boat?? How about the carpet... how do you clean that?

08-16-2009, 06:44 PM
i was told to run fresh water thru it ,and every couple of days keep flushing it for 5mins.

MonsterGuppy
08-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I've heard a lot of people use a product called saltaway when they are flushing the engine. Also make sure you flush your weels on the trailer as well. My last boat was stored in Redondo harbor for 6 months before I bought it, had to replace all the zinks other then that it was fine. The trailer axels thou were rusted very bad and took some work getting them back in shape. The trailer was only use to put the boat in from different launch ramps up and down the coast, so really was not in the salt water that much.

sliu6122
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
Cool, I'm going to look into that. Also when people say "flush" what is the proper way to do so? Do i just run the hose through the propellers?

Kevman
08-17-2009, 11:25 AM
On most outboards, you use a sort of narrow ear-muffs-looking device that clamps on the lower unit over the water intake grilles. (picture attached)

You connect a garden hose to one side of the muffs, then slip the muffs over the front of the lower unit. The "V" of the metal should face the bow of the boat. Position the two suction cups so they cover the water intake grilles, turn the hose on fairly strong until water leaks out from the sides of the suction cups, then start the motor and run at idle speed.

Make sure water is running through the cooling system of the engine. You should see the pee stream coming out, though I've heard that on certain outboards the water pressure from the muffs is not sufficient to power the pee stream. If you have a temperature gauge, keep an eye on it.

Flush with fresh water for 5-10 minutes. Do not increase the throttle much above idle. Always be safe. Make sure your muffs and hose are not anywhere near your prop. Always keep the engine in neutral.

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about boat engines and boat maintenance. Be sure to take a boating safety course as well as asking a lot of questions to get up to speed on boat maintenance. Make sure your boat has all the required coast guard safety equipment. You can google "coast guard safety equipment" and you can find a list of what you need. Buying a shop manual for your engine never hurt either.

Good luck and be prepared to Break Out Another Thousand!
Kev

sliu6122
08-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Hahaha thanks! Your right I do have a lot to learn. I appreciate the tips and advice. This will help me out a lot! Thanks

BingJr
08-17-2009, 10:05 PM
The better you clean your boat, the longer it will take for the salt to win, but the salt will win. Unless you have a galvanized trailer with a full channel to protect the wiring, your trailer will be the first victim, but there are things on your boat that will rust that you cant get to and eventually the salt will win. Use Salt x or saltaway when you flush your motor, I would also hose the boat down with Salt x also. Scrub scrub scrub and you can keep it in pretty good shape for a while. Even remeber to scrub the staples holding your interior together. Those rust quick and leave long nasty rust streaks dripping down your rig.

GeordyBass
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
what happened to the tri-hull? you can take your boat in the salt but make sure to use the ear muffs like they said here.... what really helps too is to disconnect the gas line off of the motor when flushing,and let it run until the gas runs out,helps keep gunk and oil outta the carburetors.... I will stick my 18' bass boat in the salt too,but I will really wash it out thouroughly with the salt-a-way system which connects to the end of the water hose and the solution mixes in with the water.... wash trailer,tires,axle,and everything that can get corroded....also spray down your car/truck from the rear to be safe too....it's a lot of a hassle,but "it's the price to pay for a SLAY!"....good luck!

RamboBoy
08-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Don't take your bass boat into the salt water, man.

GeordyBass
08-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Don't take your bass boat into the salt water, man.

why not? lol,,,my bass boat has a saltwater edition motor....lol....

08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
On most outboards, you use a sort of narrow ear-muffs-looking device that clamps on the lower unit over the water intake grilles. (picture attached)

You connect a garden hose to one side of the muffs, then slip the muffs over the front of the lower unit. The "V" of the metal should face the bow of the boat. Position the two suction cups so they cover the water intake grilles, turn the hose on fairly strong until water leaks out from the sides of the suction cups, then start the motor and run at idle speed.

Make sure water is running through the cooling system of the engine. You should see the pee stream coming out, though I've heard that on certain outboards the water pressure from the muffs is not sufficient to power the pee stream. If you have a temperature gauge, keep an eye on it.

Flush with fresh water for 5-10 minutes. Do not increase the throttle much above idle. Always be safe. Make sure your muffs and hose are not anywhere near your prop. Always keep the engine in neutral.

It sounds like you have a lot to learn about boat engines and boat maintenance. Be sure to take a boating safety course as well as asking a lot of questions to get up to speed on boat maintenance. Make sure your boat has all the required coast guard safety equipment. You can google "coast guard safety equipment" and you can find a list of what you need. Buying a shop manual for your engine never hurt either.

Good luck and be prepared to Break Out Another Thousand!
Kev

you should have enough pressure with the dog ears it just forces water through the pee hole,but only bad thing about it is ,it wont let you know when its time to change your impeller.i was told to change it every two seasons.

sliu6122
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
This is very good information guys, for a boat newbie. Is there anyone out there that has an actually bass boat that touched the salt? I would like some feedback from them.

Ryan C
09-04-2009, 03:58 AM
i used to take my old ranger out their all the time even out in the ocean first thing in the morning is cool just be careful and dont go to far but i would not recommend doing it if u plan on keeping this boat for a while and want it to look good it will slowly deteriorate it but if is a beater and dont mind how it looks go head the bay is alot of fun.

J. Owen
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
flush ut out
wash it down
youl be fine