PDA

View Full Version : Clicking Cumara

tacklejunkie
08-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Looks like I will be sending my brand new Cumara spinning rod in.
6 out of 8 of the guides make clicking noises while I wiggle my drop shot.
Whatever they did to wrap them was not good. If you barely touch a guide with your finger you can see it move under the wrap epoxy.

I've never dropped, scratched or even looked at this rod wrong. Never leaned a guide against anything. I have caught probably 100 fish on it since I bought it a month or two ago though.
I'll probably put it up for sale when I get one in return that doesn't click if anyone wants it. will be a CUS-68M in brand new condition.

Guess I still don't like the Cumaras. The weight and styling is nice though.

a biley
08-16-2009, 10:10 AM
bummer that you got a defective model. You're not leaving it in the car are you?

calico killer kevin
08-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Should not happen, regardless. Definitely send it back. Actually, get a buyer first, ask him what model he wants, go to Sav-On in Sante Fe, drop it off, and pick whatever model you want right off their rack.

That Dang Guy
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
I'd take it back and swap it out. Give it another chance and see what happens. If the problem persists, you can always swap and sell it. Odds are this is a very rare exception.

But it is true that Cumaras are a bit more fragile than your average rod. I tend to only sweep set unless fish are directly under me. High sticking will probably destroy the rod. But with Shimano's warranty, i'm not very concerned with it. They'll let you chop up the rod and shove it in a box to ship back to them. With the flat rate boxes USPS offers, it'll cost less in gas than it would be to warranty it over the counter. They usually have it back to you within a week.

tacklejunkie
08-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Not to be rude or a downer but I don't think I like Shimano products anymore. I have not had good luck with them. I keep trying them and trying them and I keep finding things wrong with them. I'll just sell this off and go to something else. I don't seem to have these problems with even low end loomis rods after a couple years of use unless I jam the rod tip into the asphalt and chip a guide.

Every time I buy a Shimano product it looks and feels great for a short while until I end up using it some then deciding it doesn't feel right.

I don't think I set a single hook on this rod without feeling out the fish first. No jerk sets or slack sets. It was making these noises before the only time I ever did high stick it on a fish in 45' of water on the dam. (almost fell off my pontoon, VG saw the whole thing)

I don't know what it is about the fishing industry but in other hobbies of mine noises, play and malfunctions are unacceptable and could cost you up to $3000 within a half second. The thing is, it requires you to make a mistake to ruin it. I don't even get that chance with my fishing gear because all my Shimano stuff fails before I can break it myself. Since I can't buy a "fish of a lifetime" that fish is worth more than $3000 to me, and I need the best gear I can get for the best chance at that fish. If I hooked a fish of a lifetime on this rod, I'm betting it would break a guide off and break my line.

I don't have super angler skills to hook DD's on spincasters so I do somewhat rely on good gear to help me land fish. I guess I can't have the super light weight stuff because I don't know how to use it properly even though I don't let a thing happen to it and make sure I don't hold it over 90* on hooksets etc.

Damnit. I really liked this rod too! What the heck. I'm kinda peeved about this.

El Weirdo
08-16-2009, 03:59 PM
.. If i may..you should look into the BPS signature series line of rods and reels...ever since i started using them..not have a problem with either rod or reel...i believe you will find the fit and finish not to mention the function of these equal to shimano of comparable models.....not to sure on the the return policies ..have never had to return anything..

el..

That Dang Guy
08-16-2009, 04:52 PM
TJ: I hope my post didn't sound like I was saying you high sticked it. That was never my intention. I was just trying to let you know my experiences with the line of rods.

I think that's the highest single complaint about the rods from people I know with it or on other forums. Hell my bro has broken a hand full of 7'2'' MH and had a hell of a time having it replaced. It was back ordered for months.

tacklejunkie
08-16-2009, 08:26 PM
I didn't take anything offensively. No worries. Just don't hate on me for whining about my busted shimano products.

To make a long story short, I deal with too many gear failures even though I honestly try my best to treat my gear really good. I have custom painted reels I don't even get scratches on while catching tons of bass all night in the scrub, and understand some good hooksetting, drag and rod angle techniques while fighting fish so you don't bust them off. I'm just sad to see this rod go. It's tough for me to adjust to new rods, and I use them like every couple of days or more.

a biley
08-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Well hope all goes well. I honestly can say that my Cumara CUC68M is my favorite rod and has never failed me. I use this during every outing, and stand by the Shimano products. I've muscled and guided a 9 lb bass with this rod.

Sorry you've had bad experiences with Shimano, I've had it with Daiwas. As for BPS brands El Weirdo, the return policy is 1 yr. I've returned rods that broke and a Rick Clunn Baitcaster reel, just keep your receipt.

I say you get a Powell, it's cheap and a VERY good rod.

HEMAN
08-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Well hope all goes well. I honestly can say that my Cumara CUC68M is my favorite rod and has never failed me. I use this during every outing, and stand by the Shimano products. I've muscled and guided a 9 lb bass with this rod.

Sorry you've had bad experiences with Shimano, I've had it with Daiwas. As for BPS brands El Weirdo, the return policy is 1 yr. I've returned rods that broke and a Rick Clunn Baitcaster reel, just keep your receipt.

I say you get a Powell, it's cheap and a VERY good rod.

my dropshot cumara is one of my favorite rods as well, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes about different brands.. no biggie..

BassnRack
08-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I am not too hot on the Powell rods. I bought one from tackle warehouse in a bind. I needed a new rod and didn't have a ton of money at the moment. Anyway, got a 6'8" Medium, Fast Action rod. Says to fish senkos, shakeyhead,.... Rod is NOT very light, and I don't like the cork at the grip. I have fairly small hands and it doesn't give a good feel. I've heard a lot of raving about these rods, but they're just ok to me. A GL3 is much lighter and more sensitive.

vanillagurilla
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
try a kistler TJ... havent heard anything bad about them... only good thing about shimano is over the counter replacement... maybe try a clarus.

HEMAN
08-18-2009, 05:53 PM
try a kistler TJ... havent heard anything bad about them... only good thing about shimano is over the counter replacement... maybe try a clarus.

"only good thing about shimano is over the counter replacement" really? Aren't daiwa and shimano the top 2 brands? I know it's your opinion, but just saying...

also.. going from a Cumara to a Clarus just aint right.. hehe

tacklejunkie
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Sam suggest I get this blank rewrapped.
Maybe I'll risk it and make it my first wrap victim.
Not bad action at all really. Dig the groovy stealth grip too. Wouldn't mind some beefy wraps on a custom set of guides or something but being so new to wrapping I'll have to ask for help. Then I'd probably break it right after and not be able to get it warranted. lol

I haven't even wrote home to shimano about it yet. Can't decide if I'm gonna walk it in somewhere or send an email. The subject still kinda bugs me. :Razz::Angry:

a biley
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey if you want to lay down $300 I suggest you get a Dobyns Champion Extreme! I'm getting the DX 702C soon, and sitting on top of it will be the Core 50mg!

MUST WORK EXTRA SHIFTS!@

weaponofbassdestruction
08-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Should have just bought a g loomis rod.

fish4keep
08-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey if you want to lay down $300 I suggest you get a Dobyns Champion Extreme! I'm getting the DX 702C soon, and sitting on top of it will be the Core 50mg!

MUST WORK EXTRA SHIFTS!@

Those are some sweet rods. I like the mini guides on them. I got the 51MG a few wks back, just need to pair it with something. For now it's on my Powell 702. I'm not sure yet but probably a Cumara....