PDA

View Full Version : Piru Trout Destruction, 8/15/09

Kevman
08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Hit up Piru with my pops for a relaxing day of trolling. Windy as usual and lots of ski boats. Took refuge by the dam. Water temp was around 72.5-73. Trout fishing is beginning to slow down a bit since the last plant in June.

Still limit fishing for us. 11 trout (1 released) on the downriggers and leadcore. Go deep--30 feet was about the sweet spot. Gold Kastmasters and Fire Tiger Needlefish produced.

Biggest fish was maybe 1.25#, just shy of 15".

Pics:
1. The ride
2. My pops at the helm
3. Dinner

GdHkSet1
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Thank you for a great summer trout report. Those are nice looking bows, were most of the fish caught from the DR or ther LC?

Fishthewhaler
08-15-2009, 09:45 PM
I like that rig you got there, looks like a panga, what is it? Oh, and nice going on the piru limits.
Ftw

Kevman
08-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you for a great summer trout report. Those are nice looking bows, were most of the fish caught from the DR or ther LC?

Today more were caught on the leadcore, around 8 colors of 12# LC with a 6# fluorocarbon leader. Some days the downriggers outproduce. You never know.

TroutOnly
08-15-2009, 10:04 PM
NICE TROUT,THIRTY FEET IS SHALLOW,THE GOLD CASTMASTER THAT LOOKS LIKE A TROUT KILLS THEM HOLDOVER TROUT THERE,,,,,,t/o

Kevman
08-15-2009, 10:05 PM
I like that rig you got there, looks like a panga, what is it? Oh, and nice going on the piru limits.
Ftw

It's a custom 17' panga built in Florida. I'm still trying to get the builder info from the guy we picked it up from. 7' beam, 50HP Tohatsu TLDI, fiberglass over wood construction, insulated fishbox, 25 gallon bait tank, 25 gallon fuel tank under the deck, bow platform, the works. Sips gas too.

Thanks for asking. Good fishin.

Kevman
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
NICE TROUT,THIRTY FEET IS SHALLOW,THE GOLD CASTMASTER THAT LOOKS LIKE A TROUT KILLS THEM HOLDOVER TROUT THERE,,,,,,t/o

I meant DEEP compared to the yahoos fishing straight mono today. We've fished in 65 feet over a 70 foot bottom there before in the dead of summer so you got a point. ;)

Water level is way down. Bottom is maybe 80-85 feet down the middle of the lake compared to almost 120 before.

Most of the fish are only "holdovers" from May or June, but still tasty. Lol.

gotstofish
08-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the report from my favorite freshwater lake.Did you get a chance
and clean the fish? Was wondering what color the meat was white or orange?
I usually us the leadcore because I rent a boat.Try the larger cd7 rapala in firetiger or silver.

Kevman
08-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the report from my favorite freshwater lake.Did you get a chance
and clean the fish? Was wondering what color the meat was white or orange?
I usually us the leadcore because I rent a boat.Try the larger cd7 rapala in firetiger or silver.

The meat was pale pink, the best I could tell. I've tried all kinds of rapalas at Piru, Js and CDs from #3-#7, and to be honest I have a lot better luck with Kastmasters and Needlefish. Maybe it's just me.

BingJr
08-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Needlefish are tuff to beat day in and day out on any lake. The vine seems to live the small cranks but otherwise, needlefish is always a good bet.

TroutOnly
08-16-2009, 10:18 AM
HEY KEV THERES REAL HOLDOVERS IN THERE ,THEY BREED IN THE CREEK ,THERE JUST A LITTLE HARDER TO CATCH, MOST IVE EVER GOT WERE AROUND THE PUMPHOUSE POINT OR OVER THE UNDER HUMPS IN THE CENTER OF THE LAKE, THEY ACTUALLY LOOK LIKE SMALL SILVER SALMON. TH E LAST TIME I DID A GUIDE TRIP THERE ME AND MY CLIENT CAUGHT 4 OR 5 OF THEM IN THE 3LB CLASS THEY HAD THAT BRIGHT ORANGE MEAT LIKE THE HOLDOVERS AT THE DVL,,,,,,,,t/o

Kevman
08-16-2009, 10:46 AM
That's awesome, Bob! I had one on before, had to be over 4 lbs., biggest trout I've ever had on. Ripped drag like a salmon alright, jumping like crazy too! Came unbuttoned after pulling out about 50 yards of line just as we were going to turn the boat around and go track him down. That's fishing!

4 or 5 holdovers in one guide trip! Wow, that's why you're a guide and I just eat the planters! lol. What does your boat look like. I'm sure I've seen you at Piru. We fish it all the time. Thanks for the tips!

Good fishin!
Kev

diamondbear
08-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Kev , VERY GOOD trolling report as your getting responses from some true trout trollers . Iam just biting at the bit and wanting so bad to catch a bunch of NICE TROLLED TROUT as you and your dad did , thanks for the report as I was going to ask about your boat also , looks like its made for trolling . // db

Kevman
08-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Kev , VERY GOOD trolling report as your getting responses from some true trout trollers . Iam just biting at the bit and wanting so bad to catch a bunch of NICE TROLLED TROUT as you and your dad did , thanks for the report as I was going to ask about your boat also , looks like its made for trolling . // db

Thanks, DB! My dad and I enjoy trout fishing. We rigged up the boat just how we like it. The Tohatsu TLDI has an adjustable 3-step idle, 700-800-900 RPMs, which puts us at perfect trolling speed, adjustable for the wind conditions.

Yeah, I see some of the master trollers in this thread so that's great!

Hope you can get out there soon and slay some!

Good fishin'!
Kev

TroutOnly
08-16-2009, 06:59 PM
HEY KEV CHECK OUT MY WEB SITE THE BANNER AT THE TOP OF THIS PAGE, IVE BEEN A HOLDOVER NUT FOR OVER TWENTY YEARS,LATELY IVE BEEN DISTRACTED WITH THE STRIPERS ,BUT I WOULD RATHER BE RUNNING MY DOWN RIGGERS WITH STACKED RODS NOTHING LIKE A QUADROUPLE HOOK UP OFF THE DR;S,,,,,,,MY SON LANED A 4 OR 5 LBER THERE ABOUT SEVEN YEARS AGO IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL TROUT,........t/o

Jimbow
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I'd say Kastmaster has been the lure of choice for the bows at the Pu. I've limited out on every trip there since November of last year from shore yet. usually takes about an hour or two. It does look like you landed some of the Pu old guard bows there. Kewl boat too! way to go dude! :Secret:

britheguy
08-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Great report!

I haven't seen a report that good from Piru in a while, good to see it's making a comeback.

I love your boat too, that thing is sick!