PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Tips Anyone>??

Lunker1979
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Headed off tomorrow on a 3/4 out of Oceanside. I normally just rent my gear but I am talking a few poles to play around with. Any ideas of some small little lures or jigs I can use?? I just want to throw them out there when we are loading up on bait and when I am tired of throwing sardines and minnows. I don't know anything about Saltwater, I'm all about Fresh! Gotta leave at 3am so I'll check in the morning before I go. Thanks again guys!

vanillagurilla
08-14-2009, 08:36 PM
flukes on 1/4 oz darter heads ;) . toss it out let it sink and streight wind it in.

HEMAN
08-14-2009, 11:15 PM
toss the LC Flashminnow

klymons
08-15-2009, 12:26 AM
Headed off tomorrow on a 3/4 out of Oceanside. I normally just rent my gear but I am talking a few poles to play around with. Any ideas of some small little lures or jigs I can use?? I just want to throw them out there when we are loading up on bait and when I am tired of throwing sardines and minnows. I don't know anything about Saltwater, I'm all about Fresh! Gotta leave at 3am so I'll check in the morning before I go. Thanks again guys!

When loading up on bait--when mackerel are the usual suspects--throw a 3-inch Krocodile spoon--or something like it. . .I assume you'll be fishing for sand bass--who are usually all over the 'chovies, but sometimes--like your significant other--they can sometimes get moody--even grouchy! (that's why sandies are nicknamed "grumpies") First off, break out the Gulp! arsenal if you have one--even freshwater Gulp! works in the salt! Remember, you have to show them something different to pry their jaws open. Fresh/Saltwater plastics--your creature baits, shad imitations, fake crawdads--even worms! When you go to the landing's tackle shop, check out their swimbaits and find out which ones are catching boat limits. Also, if you have any bait scents--ProCure, Berkeley(especially the new Gulp! squid spray--especially good for rockfish)--then try dousing the live bait and/or your artificials in something "fishy." (Nothing worse than an empty gunny sack--with your number on it--staring at you--and The Skunk--on the long ride home). It's pretty much common sense. If everybody is using live bait & catching very few fish, well, it's time to bust a move! Time to fling a Big Hammer that gets hit before it reaches the bottom and watching the die hard live bait guys go green with envy as the deckhand lip gaffs a calico bass with shoulders like an NFL linebacker. And that's all there is to it!. . .except for one more thing--try to be somewhat humble when you win the jackpot & the haters give you prison stares when the captain hands you a BIG WAD of cash. Anyway, that's my advice, and I hope it that it was least semi-helpful. Now go out there and tell those partyboat regulars that there's a new sheriff in town. . .