PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Yosemite, Lundy Lake, And Mill creek.

SierraSlayer
08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Hello all, this is my first post I have been reading for years. I fish quite a lot so there will be more to come. Headed up to lee vining to camp and fish for a couple days, got up there last friday afternoon and no camp sites were available, so we kept going down 395 and ended up finding a site on mill creek, thats the creek that comes out of Lundy lake, We did very well in the creek, they had just planted so it was wide open all along the creek. Then I decided to float tube lundy lake, to not much sucess, only caught 2 on a phoebe. The next day we headed up to yosemite, and fished some creeks right after the entrace through tioga pass. On another note we had a bear come into our camp about 4 times, ate all my fish that i had kept, and tons of other snacks like poptarts, oreos, peanut butter, and the jelly and some other stuff. All in all great trip, I love it up there! check out some pics, not the greatest but u will get the idea.

BIGRED KILLA
08-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the pics and report looks like you guys had a great time up there with all those great snacks thats a for sure calling for a bear or me to stop by.

Bigred

bstolton
08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I have been near the lundy lake area but never fished there, is there good acess for shore fishing? I`m going to be in the june lake loop in sept. and would`nt mind trying some where new.

Bill

SierraSlayer
08-14-2009, 09:59 PM
I have been near the lundy lake area but never fished there, is there good acess for shore fishing? I`m going to be in the june lake loop in sept. and would`nt mind trying some where new.

Bill

Yea there is pretty good shore access, You can either fish at the west end of the lake, where the boat launch is and you can walk quite a ways down the north shore of the lake, or you can take a dirt road which is just before you come to the lake, it has a edison sign , take that road and it will put you right next to the dam and you can either walk the south shore line and fish or the dam, or you can walk over the dam onto the northshore. Hope this helps, this is a very nice lake you wont be dissapointed.

mammothfishin
08-15-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm glad you had a nice trip but next time read up on how to properly store your food. They are probably going to have to kill three bears in the Mammoth area because of this. One of the great things about visiting here is seeing wildlife and they need to be kept wild.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bear.shtml

Recreational Activities - Food Storage & Bears

The Inyo National Forest requires proper food storage in all wilderness areas. In some places where counter-balancing food has been unsuccessful and/or bear activity is very high, there are requirements that visitors must use containers designed to prevent access to bears. Bear canister regulations increase the chances for black bears to exist in a natural environment undisturbed by human influences. Click here for Food Storage Forest Order.

When bears gain access to improperly stored food they become habituated and food conditioned (less likely to forage for their natural food sources.) When black bears lose their fear of humans they may become more aggressive toward visitors as a strategy in obtaining human food. To protect humans and bears, please do your part to ensure your food is stored properly. Bear resistant food canisters provide many benefits, including a greater flexibility to camp in a wide variety of environments, an increased level of safety, and the knowledge that you are helping to preserve the health and well-being of the Sierra Nevada black bears.

PROPER FOOD STORAGE METHODS:

Bear-Resistant Food Canisters

The most effective method of food storage for backpackers is a bear-resistant canister. For stock users, the most effective method is bear-resistant panniers or steel drums. Bears cannot open any of these containers because they cannot gain a purchase with their claws. Therefore, we have often found that when bears see a canister, they simply walk away realizing their efforts to get inside would be futile. We strongly advise all backpackers and stock users to utilize one of these methods of food storage, even where canisters are not required.

Storing Food at Trailheads

Plan ahead so that you do not need to store extra food in your car. Bring only what you will need during your trip to the wilderness. At some trailheads, storing food in your car is prohibited, but bear resistant storage lockers are provided for your convenience. However, space is very limited. Leave bulky items, such as coolers, at home. Items that bears associate with food include plastic bottles, water bottles, coffee mugs, empty cans, trash, wrappers, cosmetics, grocery bags, boxes, and ice chests. Do not leave these items in your car or tent. Bears will break into your car or tent to obtain them.

The Counter-Balance Method

Previously, the counter-balance method of hanging food in sacs over a branch worked in many areas. Now, however, it is effective in fewer and fewer places. If you are traveling in an area where this method is still acceptable, remember that even when done properly bears may gain access to your food. Be prepared to actively defend your food and repeatedly scare bears away from your camp. Even with this negative reinforcement, bears may figure out a way to get your food - some bears will chew the branches off trees to get your food bags. The counter-balance method of hanging food sacs in trees is only a delaying tactic; eventually persistent bears obtain even properly hung food.

billy b
08-15-2009, 10:07 AM
The first picture is of Lundy? And where are the pictures taken of you and your friend on the shore?

Congrats on a nice trip ... sorry about the bears ripping you off ... glad you're safe ... sorry they got something to eat ... because it will encourage them to do it more ..

Natural Lefty
08-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Sierraslayer, sounds like a good trip, except for the bear problem.

I also started posting recently after viewing for years, and my first post was also about a trip to the Sierras, farther north around Tahoe. Welcome to the message board.

SierraSlayer
08-15-2009, 06:21 PM
thanks for the comments guys I feel welcomed! And about the bears, it kinda slipped my mind, when we first got up there we just unloaded our stuff, the food was in one of those rubbermaid boxes up on the picnic table, and we left for dinner in lee vining, we werent gone but an hour and when we came back he had gotten into our stuff. THe other times he came was during the day with other campers around, we had left out some cheese its, and some fish.. I know it was a mistake, I just wasnt expecting it.. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it!

And yes the first picture is from lundy, and the other pictures of the fish on the shoreline was a lake inside yosemite, I dont remember which one, one of the ones right along the road.:Big Grin:

Natural Lefty
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Sierraslayer, I think that would be Tenaya Lake in Yosemite. If you managed to catch a trout there, you were doing good. My wife and I tried fishing it once. I think it was three years ago. The inlets had dried up, and there were no bites or signs of fish, but the lake is said to have a sparse population of Rainbow and Brook Trout which manage to spawn there. We caught a bunch of fish (mostly Brookies and some Browns) in the Tuolumne River and one of its tributaries, though.

Do they still make you pay $20 to enter Yosemite? They did when we got there, even though it was only a day trip. Years ago, I remember it was free.

SierraSlayer
08-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Sierraslayer, I think that would be Tenaya Lake in Yosemite. If you managed to catch a trout there, you were doing good. My wife and I tried fishing it once. I think it was three years ago. The inlets had dried up, and there were no bites or signs of fish, but the lake is said to have a sparse population of Rainbow and Brook Trout which manage to spawn there. We caught a bunch of fish (mostly Brookies and some Browns) in the Tuolumne River and one of its tributaries, though.

Do they still make you pay $20 to enter Yosemite? They did when we got there, even though it was only a day trip. Years ago, I remember it was free.

Yes now that you said that, it was Tenaya lake, and we caught a wild rainbow, and a brooke trout in about 10 mins, I was usiing a brown crappie jig and I caught the rainbow, and my dad caught the brooke on a thomas bouyant I believe. And yes it costs 20 per car to enter the park, some of those other photos by that river are at the Tenaya river also, I caught quite a few brookeys but they were all real small,, I diddnt see many people fishing up in the park, I dont think that the lakes and streams have too much fishing pressure, most people that are up there are either climbers or people just sight seeing.

Natural Lefty
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
I am glad to know the fish are doing okay in Tenaya Lake. I guess my wife and I just were there at the wrong time, or not using the proper technique. Fishing is super in those spots in Yosemite and other national parks where the trout have enough spawning, in my opinion. All of the fish in the national parks are wild, since they have had a policy of not stocking the national parks for many years now. Good job on the fishies at Tenaya.:Smile: