PDA

View Full Version : The Big One That Got Away

Poxy Boggards
08-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Fished NPH on Monday, fishing was slow for the most part.

Made some bait, and headed to my undisclosed location. Fished for a couple of hours for a few short nibbles.

Put out a fresh big bait, and waited. Saw a small bump, and picked up the rod. Felt a few more small tugs which I thought might be the bait. Then I felt a nicer tug tug tug, set the hook, and the fish took a nice run. Turned the fish, and thought to myself, must be a shorty.

As the fish came closer it started to feel a little bit bigger. Got it to color, and realized that I had a monster Hali on the line. way over 30". Got it in real close a couple of times. Didn't have a gaff or net, and the fish ended up breaking me off.

Definetly would have been the fish of the summer for me, but he lives to fight another day. Just exciting enough to make me jones for fishing while I'm stuck here at work. Maybe next time. I need a gaff!

vanillagurilla
08-12-2009, 02:44 PM
monster bro... monster.

BIGRED KILLA
08-12-2009, 02:50 PM
They love those live fresh smelt better luck next time.

Bigred

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry bout the lost fish, as I stated SO MANY TIMES..."the fish gotta win ONCE in a while" so consider this one as one of those times...that will just fire you up to go back and get on an even bigger model..

I would be sure you have a way to land a big fish, you never know what you might lay into out there, I landed a shovelnose over 5' long which was way unexpected too...expect the unexpected I'd say !

at least you got to see the fish wich is somewhat thrilling, I'm sure you'll get another sooner than later, get back out there and get on them suckas, I look forward to your next story about how you were the victor this time..

Good luck,
Gary

Rooster
08-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Cool play by play POXY,, Hope 2 cya out there..

MAVERICK27
08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry to hear Brother! Keep up what you are doin....it will hit!

boxl0bster
08-13-2009, 08:06 PM
what a bummer wes, im sure you'll get one just as big soon!

bones
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Been there done that for sure. I get anxiety attacks still when I think of quite a few breakoffs right at my toes earlier this season. It REALLY messes with your head when you get them right to the spot where they open their mouths right in front of you .......and you can see the line across their teeth because they have swallowed the DS bait. The bigger girls ALWAYS make that last freaky run no matter how hard you try to NOT bring them in too green. Gary's right.....Sometimes.......They have to win !

I truely do feel your pain though!

Wingnut
08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Damn, I hate it when that happens! :Evil: :mad: :Angry:
When round two comes... you win. :Wink:

megafisher94
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
that always happens to me... the time i dont bring the net i hook up with a huge 20lb fish and i end up wading and bear hugging the fish just to get a pic... o well at least u got the fight and thats wut matters.

Poxy Boggards
08-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I will be more prepared on the next trip. Still get's my blood moving just thinking about it.

flyngby
08-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry for the loss!!!!

Next time will be better with the knowledge you got from this trip!

Steve