PDA

View Full Version : Bass fishing on Kauai

swimbait101
08-11-2009, 02:18 PM
Hey guys ive been gone for like a week because i was in kauai. normally i would do the saltwater fishing but i found one brochure that advertised bass fishing. i immediatley asked my parents and they said yes. my dad and i booked a afternoon half-day trip. reading the brochure, this guys was a pro. he had all this tackle and knows what he was doing. so we met at a safeway and we got in the car. we drove to a little bay and lauched off his boat. we had 4 rods each. crankbait, spinnerbait, senko, sweet beaver. so he motored up for a minute and we were fishing. we fished floating grass the majority of the day excluding this tropical-like place on the river. so the wind is pickin' up and we drift while pitching senkos to the edge of the grass. my dad gets the first bite, he lands a fat 3lb largemouth. i was shocked. we take a pic and i let it go. Later on we hear a big explosion and the guide tells my dad to cast in a spot. he gets a bite but misses the hookset. i said my turn and i chick my senko to the pocket. WHOMP! i get my first bite. i set the hokk and bulldog this bass in. i land it and its about 2 1/2lbs. take a pic and let it go. after some time i see a little pocket with some floatin' branches and leaves. i pitch my senko and i get another bite. i set and reel. its a 1lb largemouth. after an hour the guide asks if i want to go up river for pitchin' senkos or using crawdads and minnows. i pick senkos and we do that. nothing
that was it for this trip, i know what im doing when i come back!!

calico killer kevin
08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
Cool. I was there earlier last month and I was really close to pulling the trigger on that trip, but decided to fish for peacocks in front of my hotel.

Kauai's a nice island, but it's more a "sightseeing" place rather than an activity place. The waves were dang near dead so I couldn't surf, the shores are rocky so no skimboarding, the snorkeling was okay, and the food was damn expensive. Probably heading to Waikiki next year. Much better. Just my opinion. What did you think about it?

swimbait101
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
where did u stay for peacocks??
our guide caught the former world record peacock on the same river we were fishing in.
snorkeling-SUCKS, was there last year and 5X better
fishing-AWESOME!!!!!
food-OK and EXPENSIVE
other groceries-EXPENSIVE
kayak- FUN

misterBAITer
08-12-2009, 11:20 AM
swimbait101 - That sounds awesome! Did you fish the Wailua River? I kayaked a portion of that river and it did look like it could hold some largemouth and peacock bass

calico killer kevin - Did you happen to stay at the Hilton or the Kauai Beach Villas? There were some big peacocks and tilapia at the lagoon.

swimbait101
08-12-2009, 03:18 PM
no i fished this other tiny river more north of the wailua. it is over the cliff and there is a pool to the right of the bridge. 100% frestwater
the wailua is brackish so it doesnt hold freshwater fish

calico killer kevin
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
swimbait101 - That sounds awesome! Did you fish the Wailua River? I kayaked a portion of that river and it did look like it could hold some largemouth and peacock bass

calico killer kevin - Did you happen to stay at the Hilton or the Kauai Beach Villas? There were some big peacocks and tilapia at the lagoon.
I did kayak and fish the Wailua River. Price for the kayak was a bit steep and I didn't catch anything. Saw a few tilaps though.

Forgot the name of the hotel until you mentioned it, but yeah it was the Beach Villas. I caught a single ~3lb peacock on a baby tilapia, lots of tilapia on bread, and a few 12-14" catfish on bread as well. Lots of peacocks in that pond as well as tilaps. The peacocks were traveling in groups of 2-4 and were absolute bruisers. The one I landed on 6lb absolutely worked me.

Fished a bit in front of the Hilton as well on the big rock structure out there. Kept snagging, so I switched to a t-rig Gulp Camo worm and killed the needlefish and various other species. The loved that ish.

Sorry for the thread jack lol.

misterBAITer
08-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I didn't catch jack on the wailua either lol...fished pretty close to the river mouth though.

I also fished the shoreline in front of the Hilton. Baited up with some small shrimp and caught a few unknown fish. They were small, but looked liked fish you'd see in the saltwater section of your local pet store. Too many snags to make it worthwhile.

I didn't know the pond had cats. I used the shrimp to catch baby tilapia, which was then used for peacock bait. I also used some topwater lures. It was fun getting slammed on 6lb line. I caught 4-5 of them that ranged from 1.5-3 lbs.

I agree, Kauai is more of a sightseeing/relaxing island and food is expensive. But I wouldn't mind going back.

calico killer kevin
08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't catch jack on the wailua either lol...fished pretty close to the river mouth though.

I also fished the shoreline in front of the Hilton. Baited up with some small shrimp and caught a few unknown fish. They were small, but looked liked fish you'd see in the saltwater section of your local pet store. Too many snags to make it worthwhile.

I didn't know the pond had cats. I used the shrimp to catch baby tilapia, which was then used for peacock bait. I also used some topwater lures. It was fun getting slammed on 6lb line. I caught 4-5 of them that ranged from 1.5-3 lbs.

I agree, Kauai is more of a sightseeing/relaxing island and food is expensive. But I wouldn't mind going back.
As was I. We then proceeded to catch a few waves on the kayaks outside of the delta. We got the cumbersome basic yellow rentals, so it was interesting to say the least.:LOL:

Until I thought of using the t-rig, I was snagging like a mofo as well. Got a few crazy ziiiiiinng...pooowwss though.:LOL:

We fished the small river near the tennis courts and the entrance of the Villas and decided that buying a few cane poles would be the more sportsman like way to do it. I caught probably the biggest tilapia in the whole freaking river which almost broke the oversized bamboo shoot.:ROFL:

On the flight back, we had a 7 hour layover in Oahu, so we decided to rent a car and check it out. Very much like L.A. in the fact that it has lots of cars, freeways, hills, building, ghettos, etc. Visited Pearl Harbor, Waikiki, and Diamond Head of which I must say that Waikiki was definitely the best. Beautiful place with a few freshwater rivers and ponds, malls, shops, restaurant, and best of all; the beach. Absolutely white sand with great swells. I know that's where we're gonna be vacationing next year.

FishermanStu
08-14-2009, 07:34 PM
a buddy of mine who lives there says that him and his grandpa kill them in the reservoirs on the island. theyre old sugar cane reservoirs or something.