PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead Update

RedKnight
08-11-2009, 12:32 PM
As of August 2nd, water level is still down and dropping by the day - My son and I have been tubing and taking the aluminum boat out each week. July's striper action was good anytime in the day, cut anchovies are still the ticket. We had most of our success for stripers in 35-65 depth. Average fish in July was 14-16 inches and weighing 1-1.5 pounds. Cat fishing has been tough in the day but picks up after sundown with a good bite continuing until about 2am. Cats have been biting on mack, crawlers and anchovies. LMB fishing has been fair early morning or before sundown, lots of small fish are visible in the coves and are attacking just about anything you throw. No luck on smallies although I did target them in deep water with no success.

Water temp is getting warmer now going into August. Only tube/fished the first weekend of August but the average size of the fish are 16-18 inches long and weighing in close to two pounds. Stripers are hitting on cut chovy and soft plastic/swim bait. Top water lures have been great over boils (when present). Didn't go after cats yet. Maybe this weekend.

Recent LMB fishing was exciting to say the least. The coves are seeing a lot of plant growth and sight fishing LMB is the way to go right now. Tubing into these spots is the key.....patients plus the right pattern is it. LMB are in and out of the growth. Small white plastic shad have been killing them.

I didn't fish last weekend due to high wind conditions but plan on tubing again this weekend. If anyone is interested in coming out, PM me and let me know.

Pics were taken but for some reason I still can't post them unless linking them through photobucket. I would appreciate the help If anyone could give me a tip on how to post the pics into the report. I only experienced this problem that began a few months back???

seal
08-11-2009, 12:39 PM
What areas of the lake have you been targeting? My buddy tubes out there every week and I get out occasionally to Henderson to join him. It's been a little iffy for him on the lure bite, hopefully more shad will show up and the topwater will be more consistent.

Thanks for the report!

RedKnight
08-12-2009, 04:27 PM
What areas of the lake have you been targeting? My buddy tubes out there every week and I get out occasionally to Henderson to join him. It's been a little iffy for him on the lure bite, hopefully more shad will show up and the topwater will be more consistent.

Thanks for the report!

Mostly between Gov't Wash and Calville. I'll PM you.

RamboBoy
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Howz the Lake Mead? Howz the water level? Any Stripers bite yet

seal
08-13-2009, 07:59 AM

I think the bait bite is ok but still waiting on the bigger shad to show up. That's the last report I got, but as things change I'll let you know Rambo.

RedKnight
08-13-2009, 05:27 PM

Are you kidding me......

boxl0bster
08-13-2009, 07:59 PM

Are you kidding me......

LOL!!:ROFL:

good job on the fish victor! i gotta get back out with you soon and with my tube! ill be there this weekend but with a bunch of friends, wont have any time to fish. :Crying: ill give you a call maybe we can get a few beers in and shoot the ish.

Stormcrow
08-14-2009, 01:20 PM
That is some great information THANK YOU! I may be coming to Vegas in the next couple of weeks. Between drunken nightclub stupors and one night stands I would love to get some fishing in! :Envious:

RamboBoy
08-17-2009, 01:04 AM
Hey Redknight and Seal,

My family and I went to the Las Vegas and Lake Mead, and we got home today.

I see the water level is good and met a boater guy. I asked him if he caught anything and he said he caught lots of striped bass. He used trolling.

Man, I forgot my fishing pole, but I will go up there, next time. I took some pictures out there.