PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice!!!

Headhunter
08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Hi, All;

My son and I have been going up to Mammoth every year for a while, and we'll be up there next week for a few days.

We usually fish just a few regular places, Like mary, George, Gull, mamie, Twin, etc.

We'll do most of those this year as well, BUT we'd like to try something a little different.

We'd like to try fishing the Owens, but I know NOTHING about it. I'm thinking of finding a place we can drive to near the river, park, and then just walk by the river through the valley for a while and fish as we go. The pictures I see of the River just snaking though the grassy valley has always been appealing, and i'd LOVE to fish it.

Any suggestions on doing that? where we go and how to get there?

Also, My son has been talking about maybe hiking up to one of the lakes that aren't accessible by road, for a little fishing. Not TOO far or dificult; I had some ugly surgery last year, and I'm still not entirely back to my old self, so keeping that in mind, any suggestions for trails that will lead us up to a lake for the chance at nabbing some Goldens?

Thanks!

HH

jim532
08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
For the owens river as going through Bishop on 395, veer right on to Hwy 6. About 2 miles up, you'll see the bridge, just park and go either direction.

I'm not sure about goldens, but a very enjoyable easy hike where you will have great fishing is Little Lakes Valley, take Hwy 395 take the turn off for rock creek lake and drive about 8 miles to where the road ends at the Mosquito Flat trailhead.

have fun

drivelikejoewho
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Hi, All;

My son and I have been going up to Mammoth every year for a while, and we'll be up there next week for a few days.

We usually fish just a few regular places, Like mary, George, Gull, mamie, Twin, etc.

We'll do most of those this year as well, BUT we'd like to try something a little different.

We'd like to try fishing the Owens, but I know NOTHING about it. I'm thinking of finding a place we can drive to near the river, park, and then just walk by the river through the valley for a while and fish as we go. The pictures I see of the River just snaking though the grassy valley has always been appealing, and i'd LOVE to fish it.

Any suggestions on doing that? where we go and how to get there?

Also, My son has been talking about maybe hiking up to one of the lakes that aren't accessible by road, for a little fishing. Not TOO far or dificult; I had some ugly surgery last year, and I'm still not entirely back to my old self, so keeping that in mind, any suggestions for trails that will lead us up to a lake for the chance at nabbing some Goldens?

Thanks!

HH

I try to be helpful when I can since I've gotten a lot of good info off this site.

I'm not sure about the previous poster's directions but I assume you want to do the Owens near Mammoth Lakes. Assuming that is the case, take the Main road in Mammoth to the 395 and you want to go south. About 5 miles south on the 395 you'll hit a street called Benton Crossing. I'm pretty sure there is a tiny old church there or a structure of some kind to use as reference. You'll make a left onto Benton Crossing off the 395 south. From there you are going to want to drive about 7 miles on Benton Crossing. The street winds back and forth a bit. You'll probably drive by a bunch of cows and think you are in the middle of nowhere (you are). Eventually you'll see an RV campground area and there should be some RV's and people there. You'll cross over a bridge as you see that. You want to drive a little past (maybe 1000 feet) the RV campground and there will be dirt roads that will lead you closer to the river. They can be ugly so if you have a small car be careful. If you have an SUV or a truck you should be fine. Park as close as you can to the fence an there are holes to let you in. Hopefully you'll see a few cars and probably some people walking up and down the area. You'll know you are in the right spot if the ground is like talcum powder.

As far as hikes go, well I'm going to be doing that for the first time this year. I think one of the easier ones to do is the Little Lakes Valley or Mosquito Flats trailhead. I think I'm going to do the Saddlebag loop which is behind Saddlebag lake. YOu just take the water taxi across the lake and hike back. The first lake is 1000 feet from where the boat drops you off. Lots of brookies here. We've caught those in Saddlebag. Here are links to both and maybe others will chime in...

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/hiking/flat2.htm

http://www.rockcreeklake.com/virtual/llvalley/llvalley.htm

http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/

http://www.saddlebaglakeresort.com/Hiking.htm

Good Luck and let us know how it goes! I'm going this weekend.

fng
08-12-2009, 07:26 AM
This time of year there are a lot different rules for each section of the upper owens. And the "monument" that servers as a marker for one of the sections isn't the easiest thing to find. From what I remember it's just a pile of rocks and some metal.

Headhunter
08-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Guys, Thanks for the Info!

Especially DrivelikeJoeWho....that was terrifc, and it gave me EXACTLY what I need.

Based on the links you gave, I did some further research and it looks like we're going to do the Little Lakes trails....sounds like a terrifc intro to hiking in that area. My son is very excited about it, and sends his thanks too.

And the Owens info is what I needed as well.

Thanks, all.....I'll be sure to give a report when we get back....we're headed up this friday, and we'll be gone an entire week. After 4 days in mammoth, we'll head down to San Francisco and may go out on one of the early morning cattle Boats under the Golden gate for some ocean fishing. Then, drive down the coast with some stops and various lakes along the way.

Gonna be a FUN trip!

Thanks again, guys!

HH