PDA

View Full Version : Oceanside 8/8

ddoskocil
08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Went North towards the barn kelp looking for calicos and maybe barracuda. Helgren's boats all went South, and the Dana Point boats were at the Barn. Lots of other private boats as well on a Saturday. As we pull in, I see some movement on the party boats and some gaffs going over the sides - thinking nice - some big logs. We pull in on the outside kelp, drop anchor. I throw a fly line sardine out, rod holder it, then help my dad and boy get hooked up. ZZZZZZZZZZ!!!. Okay, nice start with a big log. However - this thing is fighting way harder and taking out more line. After a few minutes, 4 nice size bonito go racing by the boat! I get mine in, a nice 5 pounder! There are a few more boils the next 5 minutes, no hookups, and then they are gone. (We didn't get there til almost 9 because of my kids - oh well) We spent the next 3 hours killing the small calicos - all 10-11 inches released on half cut squid, with one nice keeper. (Only sardines at the tank again.) Had fun with the family.

JapanRon
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi ddoskocil,

Nice job with the family. I say get out there and catch fish while the catching is decent.

Thanks,

JapanRon