PDA

View Full Version : sunday in and out of the water(multiple areas)- rough day

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Thought I’d return to the scene of the crime to where I lost that big Halibut when we had those huge seas..

Well I did but conditions just weren’t right but I fished it very diligently anyway as the tide came..

The low tide condition and LOW high tide coming in didn’t seem to be creating the much valued trough’s that I fished b4…

The Seas were real high, the swell was pretty severe sending me 30 yards out on the jetty again….
Vegetation was thick so I adjusted to a dropshot rig and it was a little more workable..

I tried 4 spots there, both in and out of the water…I had 4 strikes and those seemed to be small fish : (

On to another spot….no strikes…then another…no strikes…another spot I saw a fellow FNN’r (sorry buddy I forgot you name but maybe you’ll post up and say hi)

I said a hello and fished on….no love..

I worked all the way from Channel Islands harbor to Zuma stopping here and there for a few casts in select spots….some spots the surf was so high I didn’t even cast..just returned to the truck

My legs were taking a beatdown from the heavy surf trying to drag me out…

Malibu was my 2nd to last spot and the surf wasn’t too bad but the veggies were thick so I didn’t even cast…

Well by now the shank of the day had past and I had not caught a single fish (dayam !)

I made my way to Marina Del Rey to see about salvaging my day…

I fished off the jetty in the surf zone…then the middle of the jetty, then the end…..got a total of 13 strikes out there but nothing stuck…

Darkness fell and I wasn’t settling for no fish…So….to the back inner reaches of the bay I went…

Found a nice spot off a storm wall with some light in the water..
Slung my mackerel pattern Crocodile HARD !...

Drug it through the light….Hookup !

Nice battler too…..turned out to be about a 24” white seabass, he ended up shakin’ off as I attempted to haul him up the storm wall so no pics but it felt good to catch a fish even if he shook off on the ride up out of the water…(wasn’t legal anyway)

Another set of casts produced 1 yellowfin croaker about a foot long.

I called it a night !

Seems as though the lucky star wasn’t shining for me this day and I took a beatdown
I tried Gulp on a jig (3 colors)
Dropshot gulp (2 colors)
Crocodile
Lucky craft
Just didn’t seem to be my day : (
but I still tried hard ! to no avail : (
I take my lumps like we all do.

One things for sure…I’ll be back sooner than later for a heaping helping of revenge..

Gary

kpn
08-10-2009, 01:37 PM
It still better than staying home bro....You should listens to me.....go to Castaic instead :ROFL:.

KPN.

Wingnut
08-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Damn Gary, your effort is worthy of a S.W.A.T. medal of valor. :Cool: That's a lot of time & energy put into a day of fishing, and I can relate. I hear that you work just as hard at the Duct too for those Linesides. Paying your dues, that's what I call it... the reward is just around the corner. The least Poseidon can do was to let you land that WSB. :LOL: Good luck at Castaic, I know you're gonna be there... probably in the morning. :Twisted:

doyoufishmuch
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
WTG for not bustin out the ole bait and wait game like I always do. I give you props 4 keepin it artificial and slicing the skunk!

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-11-2009, 06:03 PM
WTG for not bustin out the ole bait and wait game like I always do. I give you props 4 keepin it artificial and slicing the skunk!
Thanks for the props on a rather unfruitfull day nonetheless..

I will add that I've got nothing against bait, it's all good but the fish I was targeting don't really bite so well on bait unless it's live, I probably could have made bait in some zones but I do have confidence in the lures and methods I ran that day, it just wasnt in the cards for me this outing...

I've mentioned this b4, some days you just gotta take whatever action the lake or sea puts out and enjoy it...this day was one of those days...

It did seem real bleek for the whole day after a total of 17 short strikes and no fish...and then some meager action after dark....well, I took what action I could get....still always fun and always a learning experience !
Thx,
Gary

Damn Gary, your effort is worthy of a S.W.A.T. medal of valor. :Cool: That's a lot of time & energy put into a day of fishing, and I can relate. I hear that you work just as hard at the Duct too for those Linesides. Paying your dues, that's what I call it... the reward is just around the corner. The least Poseidon can do was to let you land that WSB. :LOL: Good luck at Castaic, I know you're gonna be there... probably in the morning. :Twisted:

Thanks Arthur, yes it was payin' dues...to the letter of it !..

I take the good with the bad, it was still fun and I explored areas I had never explored before, thats how you get things wired as you know, some days the fish cooprate and some days they don't ! (I'm now crying 2 tears in a bucket and your playing the violin-ha ha ha)

I'll be back on them soon enough, I don't quit that easily and I will return with a vengeance : )

As for the medal of Valor....I'll take it ! ha ha ha ! Man, I'm a little sore from all the hiking I did, some o those spots I was scaling down steep rock faces just to get there..I think I'll have to realize 14 hrs plus in the surf zones is a little much....maybe I'll limit it to 13 hrs plus next time...it was that last hr that did me in....ha ha ha ha

I'm no stranger to endurance fishing as you note above but this one beat me down : (

Ha ha ha....dues were paid , next outing it's gonna be my turn...the fish had their day and now so will I....
I'll make an example of them and show them that I've started a game fo blood...they won 1st round....it's On !

flyngby
08-19-2009, 08:02 PM
Nice way to saw the day!!!

Sometimes we have to pay the dues for our other spectacular days out there!

Nice report as always even though not your best!

Steve