PDA

View Full Version : SEAL BEACH PIER 8/9/09... almost had it

ryryk
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Got to the pier around 7am and went to work. First line in approx. 7:15am. First to get bit was the ghost shrimp crigged with a size 1 owner long shank baitholder. And 1oz egg sinker. It was a lil leopard shark about a foot long. Thru out the day we were getting short bit
And managed a handful of white croakers. After missing bites all day my girlfriend decides she's going to hold the rod... Being our last ghost shrimp.
GREAT IDEA! She set the hook on what she said was a solid tug, instant bendo! My 6'6" medium action rod was bent in half as the fish tried for under the pier. Finally the fish breaks the surface
"Halibut!" we exclaim. This thing was legal or barely legal no doubt. The rod was no help when hoisting this thing from the water so I grab the line to hand line it up.
After its half way up it shakes with all its might and the mainline snapped!!! Fish belly flopped into the water as our jaws hit the floor...
Wow the adrenaline!
Super bummed I tried to sabiki up some live bait hoping for more halibut with no luck so we packed it up at 1pm.

We'll try and land that first halibut again soon might take the inflatable out in NPH.

Tight lines

Ry

Jig-Guy
08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
No skunk, little Leo! I have not fished the pier for a long time. Heavier line maybe but I don't think hand lining a 22" Butt up on the pier will work most of the time. Are you still able to use those round nets with a rope on them. Ask at the bait store where you purchase the ghost shrimp. Also could you have pulled the Butt up to the shore by walking down the pier? Anyway at least you both got bit and had a good time. Thanks for the report & picture. Some day that little Leo will be 4 feet long and fun to catch again.

Tight Lines

Jig-Guy

TShaffer
08-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I don't know what it is about pier fishing but it's always fun. I know how you feel about losing that hali, I've lost plenty of fish off piers while handlining. Great report.

Odium
08-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Damn thats a heartbreaker!! Better luck in NPH!

gavin310
08-10-2009, 10:25 AM
man that sucks about the hali. you got to tire the thing out until it's almost dead before you pull it up a pier. you also could have asked if anybody had a crab net and brought it up that way.

smokehound
08-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Told ya there were nice halis there lol!

Keep at it, catch some small walleye surfperch, the halis there LOVE em.

At the first lifeguard tower, stop immediately at the right side of the pier, there are tons of walleyes there, and they make great hali bait. Fish around there and you will at LEAST catch nearly legal butts. Good luck. The tiny croakers caught at the end work good too, but the perch work better.

DCCTrouserTrout
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Sucks to hear about losing the fish. It's just something you have to deal with on the pier I guess... More times than not the fish snap the line when trying to haul them up...

ryryk
08-10-2009, 07:36 PM
I still can't believe the line snapped. It was 10lb test. So what kind of set up would u use to fish with live walleye or croakers? I'll probably have to buy bigger hooks what would u recommend? And to catch the perch u just use sand crabs or what? Feel free to PM me any info... I'm going to get this halibut lol

Mr Bendo
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Buy a drop net!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can use a crab net as a drop net! Sorry to hear about your Halibut, even at the net they can get away!!! I use 12lb test and 15lb test as well. If you want I fish HB pier every summer and catch halibut, your welcome to come out and I'll show the rigging.

flyngby
08-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry about the lost Flattie!

Like others said, buy a hoop net bait it up and drop it to the bottom. You might get some legal crabs and it will come in handy to help land the legal in the future!!!!

That is the smallest Leo I have ever seen posted!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the report!

Steve