PDA

View Full Version : Pac voy 1 1/2 day....good yt

bowboy
08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
first off let me say this boat just "SMELLS FISHY" as soon as you walk on the dead fish stench grabs your attention!!! good sign. ive heard alot of great things about this boat, so was jazzed i got a spot on their weekend 1 1/2 day. with the moon phase i had high hopes of BFT goin wild...perfectly set up. set up all my stuff in the parking lot as i started work at 3am and had no sleep. found out that mark is taking the day off, so another captain is taking us out. wass really looking forward to fishin with mark, but everyone needs a day off, i guess...lol when signing in we all get a bunk assignment with our ticket. im in 14b. cool. i stow my stuff and off to bed. im just falling asleep, and some yahoo screams "GET UP NOW!!!" we have a problem here. not everyone is sleeping in the correct bunks and some guys had no bunks!WTF!!! the boat has 24 bunks for 24 anglers. whats the problem? Jeff comes down with the manifest and asks everyone to show their tickets. i show mine and im cool. the guy above me, get this, has a ticket for the AZTEC!! which left on a 1 1/2 day same time we did. by the time this was figured out, we had set our course already. on the wrong boat???DOH!!! Jeff assures him hes on a much better boat and he has to sleep in the galley!! ouch!!! so i get 3 new bunkroom mates. lets just say we never saw 2 of them as they were pukin throughout the entire trip. weather was crap. almost dangerous to walk around sometimes. someone even fell down the stairs to the bunkroom!!ouch!! as far as fishing, i never asked how far down we were, but paddy hopping, we had good YT fishing. some small rats, but for the most part, GOOD GRADE, i got 5, my mexican limit, 1 8lber, the rest were 18-28lbs!! had JP looked up, till someone catches a MONSTER!! easy 40lber!! cedros quality!! JP for sure. throughout the day we pick and scratch away to make for a great day on the water. on several pattys the captains says he meters tuna, but never hooked one. the same guy who was on the wrong boat, was actually pretty hot. he was fishing with a 3 oz sliding sinker and a dean. almost all the ones he caught was quality. i have been the victim of these brutes a few times this year, so was thinkin payback... i was using an avet jx 2 speed w/40lb on a 800H. they were biting the heavy string no problem. i got 3 on the heavyline and once i have my fill, its time for the surface iron. i get 2 more on the jx w/40 on the uncut 540!! sweet!! i went back to the 40lb, on our next kelp, i cast out and soak a dean a bit, i get picked up, set the hook and watch my 40lb disappear off my jx. im fishing heavy drag, so im like "WTF"!! it a big yellow. it takes me into the kelp. try every trick to get him out, but to no avail. oh well. 5-6 on the quality yellows is not bad at all!! now i need some tunafish!! there was one little trash can sized kelp we drove by, when the captain pulls the boat out of gear and says " DUMP IT GOOD" here it is!!! tuna fish time!! the crew brails and they respond, BFT boiling and backflipping out of the water. yes.... couple are hooked and looks like they are going to settle in and bite a little...NO!!! they boil and boil, yet none take any more hooked baits. typical BFT.. oh well. we start to troll and the "wrong boat guy" is up to troll, he brings his set up, which consists of a big5 type spinning rod, and a cheapy spinning reel. attaches a trolling lure to his 30lb main line. i look over to make sure i am seeing this correctly. yes i am!! there he is, in all his glory, holding onto his setup, wishing to get a bite. 5 mins into our rotation, we go over a little sonar mark and sure enough BAM!!!! HES ON!!! classic!!! he lands a nice bluefin. congrats bro!!! its getting latter now, we slide into an area where a couple other boats look like they're stopped fishing. we hear the trollong rods go off, slide baits back for nothing. troll fish is a big albie!!! cool. now everyone is out in the wind and weather. troll rods go off again. baits slide out, nothing. 2 more big albies and thats it. time to call it a trip. not sure on our final count, but everyone got at least one, except the 2 guys in my bunkroom that were pukin all day.

no pics. wifes Bday, so she needed it, and didnt want to enrage her, as i needed a major hall pass for this trip. it also helped that she was having an "all girls" party, so i wasnt invited anyways..

great boat, crew was good, but the food was awsome!!! JEFF IS THE MAN!!! his meals were awsome.

i also had dreams of BFT, not to be for us, but Sueno and Markus killed it that day!!! congrats!!

thanks for reading

Danny

bigtuna52
08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Cool story........ im going on the TopGun 80 later this month on a 1.5 day, was wondering if i should even mess w/20 or 25 lb setups???? Fish weren't line shy at all huh!

deanhall32
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
Now that was one funny trip!! Wrong boat guy catches a fish trolling on a spinning reel??

Sounds like a great trip and the fishing is just getting good!!!

Didn't I fish with you last year on the Orion??

bowboy
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
yes sir..hope to share a rail with ya again soon...dude, Brian is gettin it done again this year....he just had 53BFT for 14 on an overnight today!!!gotta get out again soon.....

BOIL909
08-09-2009, 06:19 PM
dam homeboy musta been tired enough to get on the wrong boat

JapanRon
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Hi bowboy,

Excellent report !! Will read it agian tomorrow. Wrong Boat .... no bunk .... poor guy.

JapanRon

deanhall32
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
yes sir..hope to share a rail with ya again soon...dude, Brian is gettin it done again this year....he just had 53BFT for 14 on an overnight today!!!gotta get out again soon.....

Leaving this Friday night on a 2 dayer getting back Sunday night. Still a few spots left. Call Brian or check out his website---www.fishorion.com. Hope to see you this weekend.

TShaffer
08-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Great report man. I woulda thought the guy trolling the spinning setup had a death wish but wow that's awesome he caught a bluefin.

bowboy
08-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Dean,

looks like 8 spots left. just looked at the weather and it looks **** box for the weekend offshore. 15-25 knts with building seas. inshore looks decent. we'll see. not sure if i want to take back to back *** whoopins!! ill keep an eye on the weather, if it calls for it to come down, i just might jump on it!!

Danny

gavin310
08-11-2009, 10:53 PM
nice write up man! you had my full attention when you said the wrong boat dude was on the troll with a cheapo spinning setup. lol. made me laugh when he landed a BFT. thanks for the report.

russ88
08-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Nice play by play report. Good going on the yellows!

fishkenstein
08-14-2009, 01:33 PM
what kind of trolling lure did the "wrong boat guy" use ?

kgselect
08-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice report. Surprised they let the guy troll with a spinner & 30#. They even discourage 50#.