PDA

View Full Version : How to cook Barracuda?

YakN'Surf
08-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Anyone have any good ways to cook cuda. I tried it the first time a couple years ago by just grilling it and it was pretty damn fishy. I caught a couple yesterday and was thinking maybe smoking it or frying it up for tacos would be better. Im sure someone out there knows the trick for these fish.

vanillagurilla
08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
soak the fillets in milk for 3-4 hrs. make sure you cut off any dark colored meat. thats where the fisy taste is. i like to marinade mine in teriaki sauce with crushed red pepers and then grill it.

BIGRED KILLA
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Ceviche them bleed em and put them on ice smoking em is good to if you are on a charter boat and they are baked from the sun and all dried give em away to your cats.

Bigred

GET DA NET
08-09-2009, 01:17 PM
ceviche............

Hometown
08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
smoke em lg zigs

Nessie Hunter
08-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Preparing after the catch is KEY!!!

To fishy for me.....:mad:

Pull a gill and bleed them well as they die!!. Keep cool/cold...
Bleeding them takes a lot of that taste out, and keeping them cool/cold keeps them fresh and the meat firm...

They go bad fast, so 2 days is about the limit in the fridge.... A long hot day in a dry gunny sack and they are TOAST!!

LBSea
08-10-2009, 05:08 PM
As Nessie said they go bad FAST. The real key if you plan on eating them is to ice down as soon as you catch them. If you are fishing a 1/2 day or 3/4 day and they sit in the gunny sack for even 1-2 hrs they will go to mush. It use to kill me to see the deckies filleting them after a full day in the sun, when they would start to skin them you would see the meat tear and fall apart.

I hear a lot of people say they marinade them in Italian Dressing and cook them on the BBQ.

Good Luck

rusty6
08-11-2009, 05:02 PM
make sure to keep that gunny sack DRENCHED after you catch/bleed one...best way to keep it cool on a charter boat. ceviche is my go to for cuda

kgselect
08-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Soaking in milk does help. Also, the teriyaki marinade or my family's shoyu recipe (soy sauce, sugar, mirin, lemon, ginger & garlic) would do a nice job. You can grill or sautee the marinaded filets. Make sure to marinade thoroughly and re-apply during cooking. Good luck.

fish
08-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Don't eat them.