PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing in GF's beach house backyard, Breaking the skunk! 8/9

xjdesertfox
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
So my girlfriend and her family rented out a beach house in very northern malibu, i decided it would be a good time to bring the fishing gear.

when i got to the house, we skimboarded for about an hour and noticed one guy 2 houses down fishing with sand crabs on what looked like an 8-10 foot surf rod. he never touched the water and casted when the water would recede.

During my entire time there, i didnt see him catch ANYTHING, so i decided i would try my luck, took my 3 rods out of the truck. hooked my girlfriend up with a mackeral pattern krocodile,

and rigged myself up with a gulp jerkshad on a drop shot with a 3/4oz sinker using 8lbs seaguar. we walked out into the surf in until we were waist deep and i taught her how to cast/retrieve the kroc, i cast the dropshot right over a crashing wave about 20 yds infront of me, as i move my rod to start working the dropshot, i feel my line suddenly get heavy,

and SWING and its hooked up, the fish wasnt peeling drag, but refused to let me bring him in, took me me about 5 incoming waves before i could use the wave to bring him in, out comes my first Barred surf perch, he was 11" long, i didnt have a scale to get his weight, but if i had to guess it would be close, if not 2 lbs

we fished for another hour after that, i switched to white ice flukes, and put my gf on the gulp, girlfriend picked up a little guy, probably 6" who we let back into the surf to fight another day.

no pics because theyre on my gf's mom's camera which is still at the house.

Rods/Tackle used
Shimano sojourn/Shimano Sienna
10 lbs p-line flouroclear
dropper loop, 3/0 gamakatsu worm hook, 3/4oz sinker, Gulp Jerkshad

Berkley lightning rod/Pflueger President reel
8 lbs seaguar invizx
dropshot, 3/0 gamakatsu, 3/4oz sinker, Gulp Jerkshad

vanillagurilla
08-09-2009, 11:46 AM
nice work.

socalfish
08-09-2009, 06:04 PM
good job out there. like the report!

klymons
08-09-2009, 06:52 PM
So my girlfriend and her family rented out a beach house in very northern malibu, i decided it would be a good time to bring the fishing gear.

when i got to the house, we skimboarded for about an hour and noticed one guy 2 houses down fishing with sand crabs on what looked like an 8-10 foot surf rod. he never touched the water and casted when the water would recede.

During my entire time there, i didnt see him catch ANYTHING, so i decided i would try my luck, took my 3 rods out of the truck. hooked my girlfriend up with a mackeral pattern krocodile,

and rigged myself up with a gulp jerkshad on a drop shot with a 3/4oz sinker using 8lbs seaguar. we walked out into the surf in until we were waist deep and i taught her how to cast/retrieve the kroc, i cast the dropshot right over a crashing wave about 20 yds infront of me, as i move my rod to start working the dropshot, i feel my line suddenly get heavy,

and SWING and its hooked up, the fish wasnt peeling drag, but refused to let me bring him in, took me me about 5 incoming waves before i could use the wave to bring him in, out comes my first Barred surf perch, he was 11" long, i didnt have a scale to get his weight, but if i had to guess it would be close, if not 2 lbs

we fished for another hour after that, i switched to white ice flukes, and put my gf on the gulp, girlfriend picked up a little guy, probably 6" who we let back into the surf to fight another day.

no pics because theyre on my gf's mom's camera which is still at the house.

Rods/Tackle used
Shimano sojourn/Shimano Sienna
10 lbs p-line flouroclear
dropper loop, 3/0 gamakatsu worm hook, 3/4oz sinker, Gulp Jerkshad

Berkley lightning rod/Pflueger President reel
8 lbs seaguar invizx
dropshot, 3/0 gamakatsu, 3/4oz sinker, Gulp Jerkshad

Good job fishing the backyard! When I fish in my backyard all I ever catch is crabgass, some schooling petunias, and the odd bit of abandoned patio furniture!(insert drum roll, general chuckling, and an engraved invitation to a sandcrab barbecue). . .but seriously, you not only whipped The Skunk, you kicked his sorry self all the way to the edge of Pacific Highway, where he's still standing with his thumb out, trying to catch a ride. . .

xjdesertfox
08-09-2009, 08:00 PM
Good job fishing the backyard! When I fish in my backyard all I ever catch is crabgass, some schooling petunias, and the odd bit of abandoned patio furniture!(insert drum roll, general chuckling, and an engraved invitation to a sandcrab barbecue). . .but seriously, you not only whipped The Skunk, you kicked his sorry self all the way to the edge of Pacific Highway, where he's still standing with his thumb out, trying to catch a ride. . .

haha, thanks man, your post definately gave me a chuckle

i was sooo stoked when i caught that fish, it definately turned me into a believer in berkley jerkshad

smokehound
08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
Mmmmm-MM! 11 inch bsp sounds delicious! These things are awesome fried!

11 inches is a NICE perch.

xjdesertfox
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Mmmmm-MM! 11 inch bsp sounds delicious! These things are awesome fried!

11 inches is a NICE perch.

hell yea man! i put it in one of those ziploc freezer bags and it hardly fit in the bag diagonally, i covered it in some lemon pepper and salt and fried it, it was delicious

heading back out tomorrow for more :Twisted:

xjdesertfox
08-10-2009, 02:16 PM
got the picture off my phone of the guy after her mom put him in the freezer for a little

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss35/xjdesertfox/IMAG0034.jpg

the bag is 10" wide and 11" tall

prchjrk
08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
nice BSP! WTG!

flyngby
08-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Nice work on the piggie!

Steve