PDA

View Full Version : Avacodo W/ Salt & Pepper

Troutman65
08-09-2009, 01:15 AM
Get yourself one whole Avacodo and slice it in half. Take you knife and VERY carefully stab the pit ( Seed ) and turn to remove the seed. Take your salt shaker and salt both halfs. Repete with pepper. Eat with tea spoon. MMMMMMMMM GOOODDD :LOL::ROFL:

gotstofish
08-09-2009, 02:38 PM
I agree avocados are good with just salt and pepper.Sometimes I eat it with a vinegar and olive oil dressing,just avocado and dressing.All right now I've got to get me some.:Smile:

vanillagurilla
08-09-2009, 02:56 PM
damn things are 2.50 a peice at ralphs by my house lol. i see no avacados in my future.

troutdog
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Do you have any good recipes for toast? :LOL:

TD

BIGRED KILLA
08-09-2009, 04:08 PM
I call BS without pics there is no way you can make that.

Bigred

lalo56
08-09-2009, 05:09 PM
I need to grow a tree in the back yard now that the dogs are not allowed back there. They would always bite on it and never let it grow. Once i get the avocado tree going then i will have guacamole all the time. YUMM!

Troutman65
08-09-2009, 09:20 PM
damn things are 2.50 a peice at ralphs by my house lol. I see no avacados in my future.

i have a tree :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

Troutman65
08-09-2009, 09:23 PM
I agree avocados are good with just salt and pepper.Sometimes I eat it with a vinegar and olive oil dressing,just avocado and dressing.All right now I've got to get me some.:Smile:

NICE , Very tasty sounding for sure. Thanks for the post.:Envious:

Troutman65
08-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Do you have any good recipes for toast? :LOL:

TD

AS a matter of fact I do . Avacodo on toast. You take the seed out and mash up in a bowl and add salt & Pepper. Mix again and spread onto your toast. Its great for breakfast. :Big Grin:

Hometown
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
maybe not toast just put it in a tortilla with chesse mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sparky70
08-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Try a little Mayo on your Avacado..Really Good

Oz
08-09-2009, 11:44 PM
avocado, onion, lime and tomato mixed together is good. leave the avocado pit in the mixture so it doesnt turn brown.

troutdog
08-10-2009, 12:13 AM
i have a tree :!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!::!!!:

Can you bring a couple to the lake on Friday? I'll trade you for a sandwich er sumthin :Wink:

TD

victor101
08-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you have any recipies for a grilled cheese?

Sparky70
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Put Lemon juice on a Avacado to keep it from turning brown.

Troutman65
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Can you bring a couple to the lake on Friday? I'll trade you for a sandwich er sumthin :Wink:

TD

They are not ready yet TD. October is when they should be ready to pick.

DccFISHerMan
08-10-2009, 06:48 PM
best way to have avocado is on a damn quesa-dilla

greygrizz
08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Half them remove seed fill with your favorite salsa. Also try filling with small shrimp and little salsa . Take soft ripe avo out of skin put in blender with so greeen salsa and a little olive oil make great dip for chips or put on pork. Yum

OldRedShnapper
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM

DAMN my wife Joanne made some goood food with avacados, she put some raw trout mixed with avacado with some of that spices she uses all the time. but god damn thats very good tasting, shes a good girl. :Wink:

GET DA NET
08-13-2009, 02:06 PM

That brings back some memories tacos de aguacates y queso........

troutdog
08-13-2009, 02:08 PM
They are not ready yet TD. October is when they should be ready to pick.

Sounds good, let me know when it is time to harvest!:Wink:

TD

Troutman65
08-14-2009, 12:06 AM

TD

No problem Bro. :Cool:

Troutman65
08-14-2009, 12:08 AM

The toast is the white boy in me.:Wink::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Troutman65
10-06-2009, 11:32 PM

TD

hey Aaron, The Avoacodo tree should be getting ready for some picking. I did not put feed down in September like I should of. I watered the tree all day today. Avacodo trees require lots of water. Maybe its not to late to put the feed down. I will put that on my list of to do's for tomorrow.

Should be habving fresh Avacodos all winter. Life is good with Avacodos to eat .:Envious:

dfisher
10-06-2009, 11:44 PM
japanese style avocado - slice the avocado in bite size pieces and then poor ponzu sauce over it and enjoy, you won't regret it. If you don't know what ponzu sauce is it is basically soy sauce with a freshly squeezed lemon juice. Either or works GREAT!

Troutman65
10-07-2009, 12:47 AM
japanese style avocado - slice the avocado in bite size pieces and then poor ponzu sauce over it and enjoy, you won't regret it. If you don't know what ponzu sauce is it is basically soy sauce with a freshly squeezed lemon juice. Either or works GREAT!

Oh I know what Ponzu sauce is I sure like it with my Albacore Sushi. :Big Grin:

I will have to try that . Thanks for posting .:Cool:

Cangler
10-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Try them with shrimp and mayo !

Sparky70
10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Try it with a little mayonase, then salt and (lemon-pepper). Yummey!!!!!

Sparky70
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Vanilla,
I just got 2 avacodos at Albertsons for $1.99....Hee Hee :ROFL::ROFL:

fishincrave
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Pepper jack cheese tomato and (Haas) Avocados put it in warm petta bread with a cold brew .:LOL:

fishindude420
11-05-2009, 10:10 AM
tuna, avacodo, and jalapeno sandwitch.mmmmmm

murrieta angler
11-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm with you Troutman, salt/pepper and spoon. Sometimes i'll sprinkle some Lawry's seasoning salt to mix it up a little...:Big Grin:

TRDEXPERT
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Avacados on sale at Vallarta Superrmaket

4 for $1.00

I just had a torta of carnitas with avacado.. BOMB!!!

old pudd fisher
11-28-2009, 09:00 PM
They are just so tasty anyway you eat them. I love them.

Mondo21
11-29-2009, 01:44 PM
damn things are 2.50 a peice at ralphs by my house lol. i see no avacados in my future.

I find that the Mexican Markets are always cheaper. Cindy:Big Grin:

Troutman65
11-29-2009, 01:50 PM
I get them Free from my Tree !!!:LOL::Wink::Big Grin::Cool:

TShaffer
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I have an avacado tree with a surplus of avacados on it. Anyonw wanna buy some???LOL.

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-01-2009, 07:19 AM
I will be taking out about 50 avocado trees this spring due to the water shortage. Agriculture takes a back seat to beautiful green lawns.

If you want avos year 'round plant:
Hass...march-Aug
Reed...Aug-Nov
Fuerte...Nov-March

Other good choices are Holiday(Dec-ish), Lamb Hass(June-ish)

Will trade avocados to an ACCOMPLISHED mini-jig trout instructor...:LOL:

Troutman65
12-01-2009, 10:11 AM
I will be taking out about 50 avocado trees this spring due to the water shortage. Agriculture takes a back seat to beautiful green lawns.

Hass...march-Aug
Reed...Aug-Nov
Fuerte...Nov-March

That sucks having to take out your avocado trees. I think my tree is a Fuerte. The avacodos are a smooth skin. Its a dwarf tree. This year I did not feed it like I should of and there is not a bummper crop like other years . I got some on the kitchen table waiting to eat in about 4 days

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-01-2009, 11:00 AM
The oil content determines the flavor of an avocado. The trees I mentioned all have the same oil content of a Hass. Fuerte was the main commercial avo til the Hass came along. One of my favorites. Hass rules because of the thick skin, which makes it a good shipper.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
12-01-2009, 09:15 PM
My grandparents were avocado farmers decades ago in Cucamonga (now Rancho Cucamonga) so I've eaten avocados just about every way possible. Simplest way was to half them, take out the seed, and pour a little soy sauce and sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on it and eat with a spoon.
Anyone still have leftover turkey? Turkey and avocado sandwiches are the best!
My grandparents grew many varieties of avocados, did you know there are over 30 different varieties of them delicious little fruits? They mostly grew fuertes, bacon, and susan avocados. My grandfather even came out with his own avocado by grafting. He crossed the original mexican avocado called the pueblo avocado with the susan. It had a very dark yellow flesh kind of like a hass but had a dark black smooth skin. Great taste and easy to peel, but the seed was bigger than normal so it wasn't very marketable.
The only way to keep avocados for a long period of time is to make guacamole and freeze it, making sure you use lots of lemon or lime juice to keep it from turning brown. The seed left in it does work, but why waste space since you always season guacamole with lemon or lime juice anyways. I use zip loc bags to freeze my guac and it stays fresh for at least a year in the freezer.
TTFM

Troutman65
12-01-2009, 09:31 PM
My grandparents were avocado farmers decades ago in Cucamonga (now Rancho Cucamonga) so I've eaten avocados just about every way possible. Simplest way was to half them, take out the seed, and pour a little soy sauce and sprinkle some roasted sesame seeds on it and eat with a spoon.
Anyone still have leftover turkey? Turkey and avocado sandwiches are the best!
My grandparents grew many varieties of avocados, did you know there are over 30 different varieties of them delicious little fruits? They mostly grew fuertes, bacon, and susan avocados. My grandfather even came out with his own avocado by grafting. He crossed the original mexican avocado called the pueblo avocado with the susan. It had a very dark yellow flesh kind of like a hass but had a dark black smooth skin. Great taste and easy to peel, but the seed was bigger than normal so it wasn't very marketable.
The only way to keep avocados for a long period of time is to make guacamole and freeze it, making sure you use lots of lemon or lime juice to keep it from turning brown. The seed left in it does work, but why waste space since you always season guacamole with lemon or lime juice anyways. I use zip loc bags to freeze my guac and it stays fresh for at least a year in the freezer.
TTFM

TTFM, Thanks for posting up . Good info. :Big Grin:

carpanglerdude
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
So, I have an avacado tree and I know nothing about it...when do they get ripe? So far, they have done nothing but get fat and green on the tree all summer (and fall) long. The ones that fall down eventually ripen and rot. I've picked a few (hard and green) and let them sit in the house, but they dont seem to ripen...any helps?

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
See my post above re variety and harvest times. I would need to know what variety you have.

BIGRED KILLA
12-02-2009, 04:58 PM
So, I have an avacado tree and I know nothing about it...when do they get ripe? So far, they have done nothing but get fat and green on the tree all summer (and fall) long. The ones that fall down eventually ripen and rot. I've picked a few (hard and green) and let them sit in the house, but they dont seem to ripen...any helps?

Same happen to my tree they look cool on the tree tho but they are never ripe.

Bigred

fisherman from long beach
12-02-2009, 05:52 PM
i heard that to help ripen them,put them in brown paper bag and put in your stove,and check on them in a couple of days

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
If you pick them too early, they won't have enough oil content to ripen. They are all water early, and will just shrivel up.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
12-03-2009, 08:43 PM
The "old school" way to tell if the avocados are ready to pick to and send to market is to cut the avocado in half going top to bottom and pull apart the two halves. If the skin on the seed sticks to the flesh of the avocado, it doesn't have the oil content it needs to ripen after harvested. Also when you buy avocados in the store they all have a very small piece of the stem attached to the fruit. The pickers cut the stem off very close to the fruit so it'll stay on and not leave an open hole for the fruit to dry up.
Another good way to eat these is to cut one in half, take out the seed and you'll have two little bowls, then put a spoonfull of chicken or tuna salad (like for sandwiches) in the hole and eat with a spoon. Another great way to serve avocados, especially after reading this late at night, is to make an omelet with bacon, avocado slices, and cheese and serve it with tomato slices or salsa!
BON APPETIT !
TTFM

Troutman65
12-04-2009, 12:26 AM
All this talk of Avocados makes me hungry for one. I think I'll eat one that has just ripened.

I just noticed I misspelled Avocados in my first post.:ROFL:

STEVE IN SOCAL
12-05-2009, 08:12 AM
We new wut yu ment tu sai....:Cool:.

Troutman65
12-05-2009, 09:04 AM
we new wut yu ment tu sai....:cool:.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Troutman65
03-29-2010, 11:35 PM
I just found this and it looks really good. I still got em on the tree . MMmmmmmmmmm

. Avocado: Avocado Boats

http://a323.yahoofs.com/phugc/g1UHZ2Tz2mkn/photos/5ea6efc2b112fd3fedba41caa564fcbb/mr_b37ce240dc6fa1.jpg?ug_____DLKwLeNV1

Ingredients:

3 ripe avocados
1 lemon
Hot sauce, several drops
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
2 small plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 scallions, chopped
Coarse salt
Preparation:

Cut into and all around the pit of each avocado, down to the pits. Twist the avocados and separate them. Whack the corner of your knife into each pit and remove it. Using a large spoon, scoop out each avocado half and arrange them on a plate. Dress the avocados with lemon juice, a few drops of hot sauce, and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil. Combine the tomatoes and scallions and season with salt. Fill the avocados with plum tomatoes and serve.

Troutman65
03-30-2010, 02:05 AM

I tryed something close just now, I had a nice large half and I took the seed out and poured in the half Newman's Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette . It was really good . I am glad I tryed it .

Sparky70
03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Avacodos only a buck each here.....I cut mine in 1/2 take out the seed, then put salt,a little lemon juice and a dab of Mayonnaise. Poke it good with a fork to get the flavor all through it.

bowler
03-31-2010, 08:39 AM
My mother-in-law like them with Sweetened Condensed.

bowler
03-31-2010, 08:41 AM
put them in a paper bag with an apple and sit in a dark cool place.

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
04-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Carpanglerdude,
My grandparents used to grow avocados on a farm in Cucamonga so I know some info about the luscious fruit. The avocados are ready to pick, depending on the variety, when you take one and cut it in half from top to bottom and separate the halves. If the skin of the seed sticks to the meat of the fruit it's not ready to pick. If the skin of the seed stays on the seed it's ready to pick and will ripen at room temperature. It all depends on the oil content of the fruit which makes the seed skin stick or not. Pending on how many fruit are on the tree, it's good to pick them all at that time and keep them in the garage at a cooler temp so they don't ripen all at once. You can also have the time to disperse the fruit to family, friends, and relatives. Also, if you have kids that want to make a few bucks they are easy to sell, like lemonade. Like 2 or 3 for $1.00.
Also have a few recipes for avocados if interested, like taking half of one with the skin still on it, take a scoop of chicken salad sandwich spread and put in seed hole and eat with a spoon.
Hope this helps
TTFM

Frenchy
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Hass...march-Aug
Reed...Aug-Nov
Fuerte...Nov-March

avocados for min jig lessons what lake you wanna fish

adriiiian
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
hahaha BS no pics

Troutman65
04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
hahaha BS no pics

You got me with that post :???::Confused:

Fishbones
04-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I have a big tree prob about 35yrs old and it gives off avocados like 3 times a year.

My girl is from brazil and over there they sprinkle sugar on them.

Troutman65
04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I have a big tree prob about 35yrs old and it gives off avocados like 3 times a year.

My girl is from brazil and over there they sprinkle sugar on them.

Sugar ? Wow . Thats a trip . Thanks for sharing