PDA

View Full Version : State Furloughs - How does this effect the DFG?

Fish Dog
08-08-2009, 09:58 PM
As you probably know the state is furloughing employees three days a month to help with the budget crisis. The exception to this is state law enforcement...the exception to that is Fish & Game...yes, Fish & game is the only State law enforcement (as far as I know) that is having to take the furloughs. What's this mean for us? Three days less enforcement of our Fish & Game laws per Warden each month. Assuming there are about 200 Wardens in the field this is 600 less days of enforcement a month. Also, to top that off, I happen to know a Warden that is retiring in a couple months because of this. He was going to stick it out at least a couple more years but because of the furloughs he will be making more in retirement then he will working. So there's another very experienced Warden that won't be out in the field doing enforcement any more. Just irks me that Fish & Game always takes it in the shorts on this type of thing.

Liteweight
08-08-2009, 11:30 PM
:Soap Box:
Has anyone seen the budget cuts they've endured since Gov. Arnold taken over?
Nobody ever pays attention to anything until it hurts them or something they care about.
Also pay attention to license fees...someones got to pay for hatcheries etc. Don't be surpised @ some big increases coming, and/or even more cutbacks.
Prop. 13, Reaganomics, the Bush legacy...people need to understand what less taxes really mean.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a political activist or anything. I just care and ask questions.
Thanks for tuning in. :LOL:
LW

El Weirdo
08-09-2009, 10:48 AM
the state is furloughing employees I may have to end up selling my tracker...used to be a state gig was cool...cuts su*k in so many ways..we are no longer the "Golden state." but the "Pyrite state."( just google image pyrite)..my 2 cents..

Ready 2 Go
08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Don't forget that MLPA is going to add 200 sq miles of ocean of reserves to thier enforcement duties. :Evil:

Here is how the wardens feel about it.

“We request you delay or suspend any new mandates until there is some relief from furlough officer to enforce these significant new provisions,” according to a letter from the California Fish and Game Wardens Association that Jerry Karnow presented.

It is sad to watch our resources poached with too few wardens as it is, while the state is limiting our fishing opportunites and adding to thier burden. :mad:

Ready 2 Go