PDA

View Full Version : Careful what you eat...

sansou
08-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Was cruising the OEHHA website (Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment) as a result of reading an article posted elsewhere.

Came across this well conceived slide show applicable to you LA/OC peeps who like to eat your surf catch or local cattleboating catch, and thought I would share.

Take a gander:

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/special_reports/pdf/SoCalLAPresentation.pdf

If you guys come across a San Diego specific survey, please post up. I can only find warnings for inside SD harbor (no surprise there!), but am curious about toxicity levels for the SD Bay at large.

tacklejunkie
08-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the post.
Looks like it's still ok to eat 2 legals from the red zone a week per male above 17.
Interesting info.
I've only eaten three surf fish myself until I started throwing them all back too.

Ready 2 Go
08-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Good reason to practice C&R when fishing from shore and big Calico's- higher concentration of PCB's and mercury. :Cool:

Too bad they could not catch enough WSB's nor Sheephead for thier study. :ROFL:

Thanks for the post.

Ready 2 Go

DarkShadow
08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I eat everything my license entitles me to eat.

C&R is for hippies.

:ROFL:

Ready 2 Go
08-09-2009, 03:12 PM
I eat everything my license entitles me to eat.

C&R is for hippies.

:Death2Above:
You eat worms, ghost shrimp, sand crabs, rays, skates, blue sharks, and white croaker? :OMG!:

BTW- Thanks for taking all the fish from the city lakes or other stocked fishing spots because you feel entitled to eat them and eating large breeding females so that stocks are more slowly replenished. :Applause:

Supporters of MLPA feel entitled will close some of the most accessible and productive areas to all fishermen based on posts such are yours. :Finger:

Ready 2 Go

troutdog
08-09-2009, 03:19 PM
You eat worms, ghost shrimp, sand crabs, rays, skates, blue sharks, and white croaker? :OMG!:

BTW- Thanks for taking all the fish from the city lakes or other stocked fishing spots because you feel entitled to eat them and eating large breeding females so that stocks are more slowly replenished. :Applause:

Supporters of MLPA feel entitled will close some of the most accessible and productive areas to all fishermen based on posts such are yours. :Finger:

Ready 2 Go

I can pretty much all but assure you DS was joking, hence the ":ROFL:" emoticon at the end of his post....the scary thing is there are many people that actually do eat everything the can catch or poach :Shocked:

Garlic ghost shrimp anyone? :Wink:

TD

DarkShadow
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Heck yes! Add a little Tapatío, and those things you mentioned are tasty as all heck. God put them on earth for me to eat, and eat up I will. In fact, I bet you've never had some Worm/Ghost Shrimp/Sand Crab/Ray/Skate/Blue Shark/White Croaker ceviche. It's the bomb.

If that was a problem, DFG would adjust their regulations as necessary. But because I feel DFG slot, size and number limits are the best indication on the fragility (or lack thereof) of the population, and they'd make it C&R if they needed fish populations protected, I will continue to follow all these limits because it is my 'right.'

Ready 2 Go

MLPA needs to focus on the seiners, because it is them, and not this God fearing fisherman who respects all limits and regulations, that are damaging the population of fish.

BTW, Ready 2 Go, I'm kidding, I'm being facetious. I'm just expressing some of the sentiments that I hear from fisherman, and why conservation does not apply to them.

:Wink:

City Dad
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I heard that if you drink enough high-proof liquor with your fish it cancells out all of the toxins. I'm pretty sure that is true.

When me and my uncle was loading our own cartridges, we used to hold the slugs in our mouths, but we was rinising out with Ancient Age sips between and we aren't still not okay which I attribute to the above prestated statement. Also we used to shoot up our old televisions and didn't have no kind of troubles what so ever. people say that this is probably bad to but we are sure to have something strong to drink and we haven't not ever had the cancer. so this makes the obvious reason why alchohol is helpful, like asperin and should not look down their noses at us who know what we are doing but mind there own business.

Was cruising the OEHHA website (Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment) as a result of reading an article posted elsewhere.

Came across this well conceived slide show applicable to you LA/OC peeps who like to eat your surf catch or local cattleboating catch, and thought I would share.

Take a gander:

http://www.oehha.ca.gov/fish/special_reports/pdf/SoCalLAPresentation.pdf

If you guys come across a San Diego specific survey, please post up. I can only find warnings for inside SD harbor (no surprise there!), but am curious about toxicity levels for the SD Bay at large.

victor101
08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I just drink a 7up after i eat my white croakers and perch. When i burp, the pcb's and the ddt's come out...

WaterBound
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Why does the data from slide 2 and slide 26-27 conflict? It shows different yellow and red zones for malibu and point dune. So which is it 1-2 meals a month or 4 meals a month?

Granny Fish
08-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Why does the data from slide 2 and slide 26-27 conflict? It shows different yellow and red zones for malibu and point dune. So which is it 1-2 meals a month or 4 meals a month?

WaterBound - Look a little closer at the slides. The differences are recommendation by ages of people consuming.

Thanks for the post Sansou. Although this is not new information. The OEHHA have been making these recommendations for many years for the areas mentioned.

Ready 2 Go
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I can pretty much all but assure you DS was joking, hence the ":ROFL:" emoticon at the end of his post....the scary thing is there are many people that actually do eat everything the can catch or poach :Shocked:

Garlic ghost shrimp anyone? :Wink:

TD

Thanks TroutDog.

I will take some of that Garlic ghost shrimp!!!

How come yours have the claws and mine don't?

HMMmmmmm Cunchy goodness.

Ready 2 Go

Ready 2 Go
08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Heck yes! Add a little Tapatío, and those things you mentioned are tasty as all heck. God put them on earth for me to eat, and eat up I will. In fact, I bet you've never had some Worm/Ghost Shrimp/Sand Crab/Ray/Skate/Blue Shark/White Croaker ceviche. It's the bomb.

If that was a problem, DFG would adjust their regulations as necessary. But because I feel DFG slot, size and number limits are the best indication on the fragility (or lack thereof) of the population, and they'd make it C&R if they needed fish populations protected, I will continue to follow all these limits because it is my 'right.'

MLPA needs to focus on the seiners, because it is them, and not this God fearing fisherman who respects all limits and regulations, that are damaging the population of fish.

BTW, Ready 2 Go, I'm kidding, I'm being facetious. I'm just expressing some of the sentiments that I hear from fisherman, and why conservation does not apply to them.

:Wink:

I owe you a beer. :Beer Toast:

(me assuming again :Shocked: that you are old enough :Razz: and like beer)

What kind of beer goes with the crow I am preparing to eat?

The MLPA is closures are going to remove vast areas of productive fishing spots and does not focus on sieners at all or science. The MLPA process even go against the DGF numbers and ideas on fishing managment.

Ready 2 Go

troutdog
08-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks TroutDog.

I will take some of that Garlic ghost shrimp!!!

How come yours have the claws and mine don't?

HMMmmmmm Cunchy goodness.

Ready 2 Go

No problem R2G, personally I just prefer the added roughage :LOL:

TD

smokehound
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
These studies are as worthless as keyenesian economics.

It is merely bs "research" to flow in the favor of a political party. *cough cough MLPA*

The proof lies in the study itself. In one "red-zone" they tell you not to ever eat topsmelt, yet jacksmelt are okay in the same zone? Total load of garbage.

Jacksmelt are everywhere in the surf, live longer, and grow larger, while keeping the same dietary habits they share with topsmelt. This makes me HIGHLY distrust heal the bay. I clean my area up while fishing. I dont need some punk trying to guilt trip me. Walking around doing surveys doesnt accomplish a damn thing. How about the people of heal the bay spend all their time actually HEALING the bay???