PDA

View Full Version : Highway 88 Corridor

Shoreman
08-07-2009, 06:38 AM
With a moniker like Shoreman, remember, I only fish from the shore.

I fish this area often because I live right off Highway 88 and it makes access easy. I've been fishing Caples Lake a lot because the California DFG has been stocking it regularly to replenish what was taken last year after the water level was lowered and the dam repaired. Caples has a lot of Rainbows and Browns that are hitting on Rainbow Power Bait. Fish the spillway and the dam with a slip sinker rig for best results.

Red Lake (over Carson pass) is producing some nice Lahontan Cutthroats if you fish with a small yellow Rooster Tail. Brookies are caught with Kastmasters in both silver and gold and occassionally with Power Bait on the same rig.

Bear River Reservoir has some nice Rainbows that bite on PB on slip sinker rigs at the first dam. If you fish early in the am (I only fish mornings) try a silver Panther Martin before the sun passes over the hill, and gold shortly there after.

I rarely fish Silver Lake, but have caught Rainbows on blown up nightcrawlers at Ferguson Point picnic area.

Shoreman

billy b
08-08-2009, 09:05 AM
... maybe get to meet you someday. I live in Gardnerville and am just starting to explore that area. It's a pleasant and beautiful 20-30 minute drive from my shack to Red, Caples, etc. I've driven to Blue Lakes (gorgeous) but don't know what's the opportunities to fish there. I did leave a report from my 1st excursion to Caples. I try to be faithful about leaving reports ... sharing - as long as I don't get too wordy.

I enjoyed your personal site too. I'm trying to figure out where to get some worms and which kind to use ... between Gville and the "corridor"?

Thanks again,

bill

Shoreman
08-09-2009, 09:03 AM
Hey Billy B. You can access my email on my blog and if you want, let me know when you'll be up Caples way and maybe I can meet you there. Red Lake is good too for Brookies and Cutthroat. Always interested in meeting fellow fishermen. Lower Blue Lake is supposed to be good for Rainbows. I'm planning a trip up there in the next week or so, been kind of puny for the last two weeks, but getting better. All that area around Hope Valley is good including the Carson.