PDA

View Full Version : newport jetty by the wedge

bassassassin
08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
anybody evercatch any bass or halibut off the bay side in the kelp? wat do u guys use?? i went today and threw gulp jerk shad on dropshot and darterhead and just got a bunch of short bites

FishermanStu
08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
ive seen em catch some big halibut using live smelt towards the end of it. i doubt thats your thing so maybe scratch that off. another thing that works well is a curly tail grub and a little thing that seems to work exceptionally well is to put the blade from a spinner on the line in front of the grub for a little extra flash.

vanillagurilla
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
i have caught butts and bass but mostly shorts. grubs work good but i like to c-rig. right now most of the fish are near the bait barge (halis) or right at the start of the jetti near the park.

vanillagurilla
08-07-2009, 01:13 PM
try ds a frozen chovie. fresh dead or alive is best but u use what u got.

bassassassin
08-07-2009, 02:43 PM
i fished right in front of the park and just got short bites ill have to try again

vanillagurilla
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
cast farrr as u can. try to use something that looks like an anchovie or sardine.

bassassassin
08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
thanks for the info anybody have any luck on flukes, also how line shy are they

smokehound
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I dont often target halibut so close to jetties, they always manage to get me snagged in the kelp around the rocks. If you just use sandcrabs closer towards 40th street, you can catch some nice beans. Use light line, and try to use larger hooks, as guthooking= no bueno.

It does require getting wet though, but thats what surf fishing is all about. No sand spike for me!

tacklejunkie
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
anybody evercatch any bass or halibut off the bay side in the kelp? wat do u guys use?? i went today and threw gulp jerk shad on dropshot and darterhead and just got a bunch of short bites

Drop shot white or biatfish color "baby flukes" and white 3"-4" "flashtrix".
I've caught hali's there and Matt's buddy does good there on hali's and spotties.

You gotta work through and around the eel grass and the kelp though.
Make sure to rig the flashtrix weedless or like nose hook tex-skinned so they pull through with no snags. Also, dropshot pencil style sinkers that pull right through. Still getting bait stuck in weeds and no fish? Lengthen drop shot tag end.

Put calico cocktail procue on the plastics too to help them hang on. Disregard the short biters there... there's tons of them. You'll know when you hook up! They'll either feel like a snag or try to rip the rod out of your hand most of the time. Sometimes a few quick thumps like a bass.

bassassassin
08-08-2009, 01:33 AM
finally got a small halibut on a c rig with a chartruese gulp fluke thanks for the help, ill add a picture as soon as i find the wire for my phone