PDA

View Full Version : Bad fish count reports

hektic77
08-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Now normally fish counts are a little off as the deckhands are guessing an approx per angler...but I took my son and two buddies out of Pierpoint on there twilight Wednesday night and it was straight up slow...very slim pickins with 45 anglers on board...approx. 1/2 the anglers got skunked and the other 1/2 got 1 or 2 a piece...couple guys had a few more...we are talking no more than 40 fish on the boat...all sandbass except 2 sculpin...

Pierpoint reported well over 300 sandbass...total B.S.

Pierpoint used to be my favorite landing to fish out of because of the professional attitude , good captains, and great deck hands...Not the case this last trip at all...

As far as I am concerned they ramped up the fish report to lure in the fisherman which is bogus business...unfortunately for them they have lost a customer that likes to entertain. I take out alot of guys fishing as appreciation of there hard work...I will be moving on to another landing for the rest of the summer...

I have frequented 22nd street but have not in a few years...does anybody have a suggestion of another landing?

Also if anyone on here knows any of the personnel that run the Southern Cal or anybody else at Pierpoint let them know they are being called out on their B.S. reports...

Sorry had to vent...I hate LIARS...

hung380
08-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Try long beach marina, love the enterprise.

victor101
08-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Try Long Beach Sportfishing...I was impressed last time i fished with them. Things are turning around for the better... The Native Sun crew is great, The Icon is on a roll, Capt. Anthony Fisher is back and running the Tide Change. On top of that, they are running the 3 for 2 deal!

olfishergal
08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I agree with Vic.........Long Beach Sports Fishing really goes the exxtra mile to keep you happy and on the fish.......No exaggerated fish counts, actually I think they are a little low sometimes.......OFG

Oz
08-06-2009, 07:41 PM
that sucks if they posted as u said about limits when they didnt...but also remember when it comes to twilight counts, whatever you see (like todays counts) are from the previous day. try as people have said LBSF or MDR for twilights.

victor101
08-06-2009, 07:46 PM
that sucks if they posted as u said about limits when they didnt...but also remember when it comes to twilight counts, whatever you see (like todays counts) are from the previous day. try as people have said LBSF or MDR for twilights.

100% agree...sometimes the counts that are reported are from the day before.

Eat Sleep Fish
08-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Ive gotten FAKE fish counts from pierpoint as well. several times.

hbomb
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your personal experience, but I would have to agree with vic, I was there last week on the native sun off of Long Beach Sport Fishing on a twilight trip and they definitely take care of you there. I love it, I would definitely go again.:Thumbs Up:

GET DA NET
08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Ive gotten FAKE fish counts from pierpoint as well. several times.

Same here........

glumace
08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
LB Marina, Enterprise took care of us last Sunday night, but as one poster said before the twilight numbers are always a day off, they get reported after 5pm on the day after.

JapanRon
08-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi hectik77,

Yes, I checked their site and see the Wed Twilight listed as 332 for 45.

JapanRon

ghetto dad
08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Nice...yeah, we have our faults, as with most landings/busineses, but we do NOT inflate the fish counts at LBSF. Thanks vic, oz, and OFG for the props....

GD

CAPT'N
08-07-2009, 01:55 AM
LB Marina is/was owned by Pierpoint..................

Liteweight
08-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Hi hectik77,

Yes, I checked their site and see the Wed Twilight listed as 332 for 45.

JapanRon

As someone who has worked in the industry a while ago, it is not always the landings fault.
Could it be that someone @ the paper doubled on the 3's in the report?
Without getting into detail I've been misquoted in the papers myself.
Ghetto Dad if you read this thread again would you chime in on this?
LW

ghetto dad
08-07-2009, 07:24 AM
As someone who has worked in the industry a while ago, it is not always the landings fault.
Could it be that someone @ the paper doubled on the 3's in the report?
Without getting into detail I've been misquoted in the papers myself.
Ghetto Dad if you read this thread again would you chime in on this?
LW

yes, it is totally possible...but Ron just said it was on their site too....I remember one time in the winter, we caught 400 sand dabs on a boat, and the paper read sand BASS :ROFL:man, the phones were going off....but it its in all the papers they call, and on thier site....hmmmm...u tell me....

GD

hektic77
08-07-2009, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies...As Japan Ron said it shows on there web site the count as I check fish counts and reports daily for nearly all landings to see the trends. Thats how I book my trips and decide what gear to bring Etc.

If it is a typo then I guess I am out of line but I have been doing this for a long time and I doubt it's a typo...False report to keep the fisherman coming in...Put it this way there was 45 anglers on a wednesday twilight!!! Elbow to elbow on a twilight...

I will definately give LBSF a call a book a trip for next week...I have about 10 guys with me this time...Thanks again for the input...

Japan Ron...i know you frequent Pierpoint very often as I have fished with you several times on 3/4 day boats and of course your great reports that you always give from your trips...Maybe you can drop a little hint to the powers to be over there and let them know that some folks are not happy...

What will end up happening at Pierpoint is that more and more true fisherman will stop going there and more of the don't give a **** crowd will show up and turn the place into a **** hole...The intire boat was full of them Wednesday night with kids running around like maniacs and causing havok all over the boat and in the bait tank...There punk *** father sitting at the rail never saying a word to them...quality parenting at the best!

I had my son with me and he was even pissed at the punks because he wanted to fish and not deal with the out of control kids...every time he went to get bait the other kids were digging in the bait tank, catching chovies and screwing with them and throwing them everywhere...very nice...

rocknreel20
08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Fished a twilight on the Socal once - Never again -
Captain parked the boat got on his cell phone and tried to be cute with the female cook.
Deckhand (1) only, sat in the galley and left everyone on deck, no bait in the wells.
We moved once that night.
I worked in the industry and have spent many years and days on sporties, this was the worst operation ive seen.

SeaSick17
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
I was out yesterday and nobody was catching anything. We were at the flats for 2 hours and saw 3 bass caught on the sport boats. Looking at the reports this morning, the sport boats killed it out there. That is total BS!!!!!!

ldsaylor
08-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree on that the numbers on party boats seem a little inflated sometimes on a few of the boats I have been on. Sometimes they are pretty accurate though. I have done a couple twilite's recently and the boats have done very poorly. It was frustrating and tough fishing out there. Just curious does the crew always fish on these boats when fishing is slow? I thought it looked kind of bad when I was on a boat and a crew member pulled up a sand bass right next to a bunch of people that hadn't caught anything.. Just seemed a little unprofessional.

primo55
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
:???:went thru the same thing two weeks ago!!looked up the fish count,looked good...went out on the so cal and no one got anywhere close to limits..checked out the count the next morning and it was a good number on the count,i dont get it!!

JapanRon
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi hektic77,

When it comes to making comments on the operation to the 'powers that be' ..... what I have to say means jack-nothin', ziltch, zippo, nada !! There is a certain mentality throughout the entire industry in general (as you well know) that demonstrates there's a vast chasm dividing the folks 'in-the-business' and the patron ..... no matter if the angler goes 8 days a week !! :) That seems in direct contradition to the 'service' industry in which these guys are engaged. But .... it is what it is and my 'as an outsider' word is only worth contempt at best and ridicule or excommunication from even a conversation at worst. (I know of one exception .... that's GD and his boss (no not his wife) .... from experience).

I virtually lived with a sportfishing landings' family in Japan for 2 1/2 months out of the year for a number of years and I fully understand the 'fisherman's' take on their lifestyle and the business of their rough and tumble world. You earn everything twice ... NO, three times just to be sure before whatever you have to say is even listened to !! Just ask Capt.G !!

Surprising how similar these two industrys' attitudes are towards the business of sportfishing !!

Now ... on the rowdy kids. Kids running around in the dark .... excellent !! Taking kids one does not plan to super~vise or at least provide sit-down entertainment for is wrong. The idiots that often do this (don't plan on watching their kids ...... if it's even their kids .... ha ha ha) only brought the kids (kids fish free now ... right !!) so that they can take multiple limits of fish (uncleaned) home legally !! Look at the kids ..... look at the dads !!! Yikes !!

Boy what a bunch of happy campers (including yours truely) we have here today !! :)

Me .... I'm keeping in mind the beautiful crisp, clear, September ~ November waters with lite crowds, beautiful water, and seasoned anglers to persue our favorite recreation.

JapanRon

TShaffer
08-07-2009, 03:10 PM
You said it JapanRon

hektic77
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Very nice response JR...

Guess I just had to vent some frustration...

Now lets get back to fishing...carry on !!!

BOIL909
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
sandiego landings for life

smokehound
08-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Its because bad reports dont bring in you cash cows. Lmfao..

From now on, i'm only hitting up boats going to catalina. I can catch hogs on the beach myself, and would only go on a boat to fish if they target WSB, yellowtail, or Dorado.

Not gonna spend so much money to catch a fish from the boilers in laguna around the same size for FREE.

ghetto dad
08-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Yeah Ron, its ridiculous these parents that bring out their kids and basically not watch them....do they NOT understand that a sportfishing boat can be a very dangerous place??? When my son was little, i basically wouldnt bring my rods, and stand BEHIND him the entire time fishing....make sure he was constantly safe, and to make sure no idiots hooked him when casting...i do the same with my daughter now.....its unbelievable.....

GD

the fish taco
08-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Popcorn anyone?????

fishon714
08-07-2009, 11:53 PM
My favorite anglers are the ones that think they own the boat just because they are regulars. Hilarious to see, especially when they are drunk. I consider everyone fishing on a open party to be "guests" of the boat and its crew. You have some rights, but to expect 5 star service from a landing that doesn't even patrol their senior citizen discounts is riduculous. If you want 5 star service, you have to pay the big bucks and head to San Diego on multi day trips. Their service is top notch (most of the time), but you should reward good service with good tips.

The rowdy kids and their parents have every right to be on the party boats because they are also guests. If you don't like that you can either a) buy your own boat b) talk to their parents c) try to ignore them and don't let them ruin your day of fishing. I prefer (c).

Also, if you have a problem, you should really address it to the owner of Pierpoint or upper management instead of complaining about it on a fishing website. You'd be surprised how some owners or managers are out of tune to what's happening to their business.

As for fish counts, some landings may inflate numbers, but I've also seen numbers that were much below the true count. I think this is due to some of the anglers that take their fish home in their sacks without filleting them. Hard for the deckhands to count when it's wide open bites. I've seen some anglers bring in coolers and "hide" 20 or so fish in there. 100% poaching, but sometimes I feel sorry for these people in many many ways.

fishon714

victor101
08-08-2009, 01:34 AM
My favorite are the guys that come on 1/2 and 3/4 days with their long range attitudes... "Hey look at me...i wear fishworks shorts...and i have accurate reels...you are all beneath me" Just a week ago on a twilight trip I was on...A "pro" said i shouldnt deck any barracuda if im not sure if they are legal. OK mr pro...how am i supposed to measure it? geez....should i have the deckhands gaff it instead? anyway...This guy was just pissed hed been throwing iron for a couple hours and didnt catch jack! i know im off topic but its 1:30AM and i cant sleep. Im supposed to wake up at 5:30am tomorrow morning to go fishing.

ghetto dad
08-08-2009, 07:17 AM
My favorite anglers are the ones that think they own the boat just because they are regulars. Hilarious to see, especially when they are drunk. I consider everyone fishing on a open party to be "guests" of the boat and its crew. You have some rights, but to expect 5 star service from a landing that doesn't even patrol their senior citizen discounts is riduculous. If you want 5 star service, you have to pay the big bucks and head to San Diego on multi day trips. Their service is top notch (most of the time), but you should reward good service with good tips.

The rowdy kids and their parents have every right to be on the party boats because they are also guests. If you don't like that you can either a) buy your own boat b) talk to their parents c) try to ignore them and don't let them ruin your day of fishing. I prefer (c).

Also, if you have a problem, you should really address it to the owner of Pierpoint or upper management instead of complaining about it on a fishing website. You'd be surprised how some owners or managers are out of tune to what's happening to their business.

As for fish counts, some landings may inflate numbers, but I've also seen numbers that were much below the true count. I think this is due to some of the anglers that take their fish home in their sacks without filleting them. Hard for the deckhands to count when it's wide open bites. I've seen some anglers bring in coolers and "hide" 20 or so fish in there. 100% poaching, but sometimes I feel sorry for these people in many many ways.

fishon714

this wasnt about "wide open bites" this was about a slow bite and a high number turned in.

and "rowdy" people and their kids do not have the "right" to ruin other peoples fishing trips.....

GD

ghetto dad
08-08-2009, 07:18 AM
My favorite are the guys that come on 1/2 and 3/4 days with their long range attitudes... "Hey look at me...i wear fishworks shorts...and i have accurate reels...you are all beneath me" Just a week ago on a twilight trip I was on...A "pro" said i shouldnt deck any barracuda if im not sure if they are legal. OK mr pro...how am i supposed to measure it? geez....should i have the deckhands gaff it instead? anyway...This guy was just pissed hed been throwing iron for a couple hours and didnt catch jack! i know im off topic but its 1:30AM and i cant sleep. Im supposed to wake up at 5:30am tomorrow morning to go fishing.

:ROFL:I love that "Look at me" comment......

and no, you shouldnt SLAM them on the deck and make the whole boat vibrate...lmao....and im sure you didnt do that vic,,,,,,but i have seen people do that to shirt fish....

GD

ghetto dad
08-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks for all the replies...As Japan Ron said it shows on there web site the count as I check fish counts and reports daily for nearly all landings to see the trends. Thats how I book my trips and decide what gear to bring Etc.

If it is a typo then I guess I am out of line but I have been doing this for a long time and I doubt it's a typo...False report to keep the fisherman coming in...Put it this way there was 45 anglers on a wednesday twilight!!! Elbow to elbow on a twilight...

I will definately give LBSF a call a book a trip for next week...I have about 10 guys with me this time...Thanks again for the input...

Japan Ron...i know you frequent Pierpoint very often as I have fished with you several times on 3/4 day boats and of course your great reports that you always give from your trips...Maybe you can drop a little hint to the powers to be over there and let them know that some folks are not happy...

What will end up happening at Pierpoint is that more and more true fisherman will stop going there and more of the don't give a **** crowd will show up and turn the place into a **** hole...The intire boat was full of them Wednesday night with kids running around like maniacs and causing havok all over the boat and in the bait tank...There punk *** father sitting at the rail never saying a word to them...quality parenting at the best!

I had my son with me and he was even pissed at the punks because he wanted to fish and not deal with the out of control kids...every time he went to get bait the other kids were digging in the bait tank, catching chovies and screwing with them and throwing them everywhere...very nice...

Hey brother, we are offering a "Buy 2, get 1 Free" discount program at Long Beach Sportfishing....pm me for the details......it will save you guys some cash..

GD

Ambassadorhawg
08-08-2009, 08:53 AM
BAD FISH COUNT!!! You're a bad, bad fish count!!! You are grounded to your bedroom for one month...no TV...no phone....no computer. And when we get home, I am gonna wash your mouth out with soap for saying such lies!!! You are BAD! I am gonna teach you to NEVER tell a lie AGAIN, Mr. or else...!!!!

fishinone
08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
You can't go wrong with long Beach Marina.

chuck'n deuce's
08-10-2009, 01:46 AM
the fish taco, can you please get me a large popcorn.fishing was great last tuesday night twilight, basically wide open, on wednesday it may have been a different story i wasnt there for that one.twilight counts are posted from the night before. better luck next time, buddy.

the fish taco
08-10-2009, 02:11 PM
the fish taco, can you please get me a large popcorn.fishing was great last tuesday night twilight, basically wide open, on wednesday it may have been a different story i wasnt there for that one.twilight counts are posted from the night before. better luck next time, buddy.

Would you like butter on it? For .99 cents more you can add a soda. lol...

Over all, I heard the cook on the SO CAL can cook up some bomb burgers!!!!!!

BigBass777
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
I went out of 22nd St. Landing on The Pursuit in June. I caught fish but the crew on that boat is very useless. They didn't help out with anything and it's the worst that I've ever seen. Fish counts are one thing and then the boat crew service is another. Even the cook was sleeping in the morning when nobody was buying anything. Find a landing you like (or by what others have mentioned) and stay with them. They appreciate your business and will have good service.

hektic77
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Hey brother, we are offering a "Buy 2, get 1 Free" discount program at Long Beach Sportfishing....pm me for the details......it will save you guys some cash..

GD

Thanks GD I will be contacting you soon...Hektic

Liteweight
08-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Me .... I'm keeping in mind the beautiful crisp, clear, September ~ November waters with lite crowds, beautiful water, and seasoned anglers to persue our favorite recreation.

JapanRon

Ooohhhh heck yeah!!!

ALWAYS been my favorite time of year. :Thumbs Up: :Thumbs Up: :Thumbs Up:

Not to mention the fishing really takes off after all the "kiddies" have gone back to school. :Dancing Banana: :Dancing Banana: :Dancing Banana:

Hhhmmmmm...already dreaming of Bigeye, Bluefin and DoDo's.

LW