PDA

View Full Version : Is it true... with the LC..

Justl1keRaven
08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Is it true that 90% of the time you won't catch anything?
Is it true that you have to go look for fish, and fish won't come to you?

Why is LC so great?

vanillagurilla
08-06-2009, 07:18 AM
because if there there, the LC will get them over any other hard bait.

tacklejunkie
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Is it true... with the LC..
It's definitely true. This lure is golden. Don't even think about if it works or not because it DOES!

That is not true. I would go so far as to say "False".
You might not be catching anything with it right now, but that's just because you have not found the right spot. When you find the right spot, you'll probably get the fish on the first or second cast. It's all about you, the fish and the circumstances. Not the lures fault. :Wink: Just remember, where there is one halibut, this is more!

Is it true that you have to go look for fish, and fish won't come to you?If you are in a good spot, the fish will come to you. but you might have to go look for the good spot.

Why is LC so great? You will see for yourself, if you keep trying! Don't give up! That lure RULES!

What color did you get?! All the colors work! :LOL: It's the "action" of the lure that makes it work! (The way it swims!)
Make sure you reel it in kinda slowly but at a medium slow pace. Keep it moving but just enough.

bsp
08-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Dead wrong. It'll seem like that in the beginning, but once you get to be decent the skunk is pretty rare.

Is it true that you have to go look for fish, and fish won't
come to you?

Yeah, but it's like that fishing any artificial lures. If you aren't up for constantly walking and casting until you find fish, then the LC definitely isn't for you. Once you find the halibut though, they usually will bite the LC.

Why is LC so great?

Because it has accounted for 2 or 3 halibut over 40in from the surf, many 30in-40in fish, a much larger amount of legals, and countless shorts. No other one lure has accounted for that many halibut.

Justl1keRaven
08-06-2009, 02:29 PM
How do you know the wave condition/height is ideal for the LC?
What beaches are more suited for LC? I went to Redondo again, and failed, skunked, and yeah... Lost my LC.. there goes my $20.00.

is it true Laguna is the most popular fishing beach also because of the water clarity?

tacklejunkie
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Look here (http://www.tidelinesonline.com/setupRegion.do;jsessionid=EBB28BFD71C077D0D56C7627 6C5A43C7?regionID=1) for good tides dude.
I like to go when the tides are low in the mornings.. but that depends on where you fish too! You have lots to learn about the LC lure! .. And so do I yet. haha Everyone seems to have a part of the tide they like to fish at each of their different spots.
Just keep an eye on that chart each time you go and you will start putting patterns together and see what type of "waves" they like.

Some beaches are better than others for waves/no waves!
Try different spots. You'll get it.
Also, look on google earth (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geusJAUHtK_1UBvmZXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTBybnZlZnR lBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkAw--/SIG=11cuvsk42/EXP=1249681856/**http%3a//earth.google.com/) for good spots!

You can also drop shot largemouth bass plastics to get them in the same places as the LC lure!

NICKYMOUSE8
08-06-2009, 04:11 PM
I feel so alone sometimes with my little ''fairy wand'' you guys got it easier :Crying:

Justl1keRaven
08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Some beaches are better than others for waves/no waves!

There are some beaches with no waves? Where?

tacklejunkie
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
I feel so alone sometimes with my little ''fairy wand'' you guys got it easier :Crying:
I got owned in the surf with my 8wt.
I have the materials and City Dad's Bigfoot Surf Fly Assortment but I have not put in my time yet. I'm too far out in the desert. One of these days! :Wink:

I have not found any yet either but I know of and have heard of some with very minimal to no waves.

I get my butts out of a big trench, and when I can't find them there I go looking for more trenches. Anywhere where I find baitfish I'll usually catch something. Even little tiny 6" halibut and spotties!
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%2012-5-08/surf4.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%208-4-08/surf004.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%208-4-08/surf001.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%208-4-08/surf002.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/surf%20and%20NPH%20tube%206-16-09/surfandNPH6-16-09003.jpg

NICKYMOUSE8
08-06-2009, 05:56 PM
:Razz:Yeah, T.j you own those fish on the L.C & yeah in a big surf it's tough even with my 10 wt :EyePop:Im so brave that i got owned last week in seal.

tacklejunkie
08-06-2009, 06:26 PM
:Razz:Yeah, T.j you own those fish on the L.C & yeah in a big surf it's tough even with my 10 wt :EyePop:Im so brave that i got owned last week in seal.
It definitely takes some courage to bring the fly rod only down to the beach.
Check out some of Wingnut's old fly surf reports for some inspiration. :Wink:

calico killer kevin
08-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Honestly, I don't think you're ready to fish the LC yet. Wait till you gain confidence for the halis and purchase more suitable tackle. You expect the LC to be your halibut killing "gurantee", but that's the wrong way to approach.

"Is it true that 90% of the time you won't catch anything?"
??? Definitely not. It all depends on where you fish and if you know what you're doing. Every single thing that you do can either raise or lower your chance of catching fish. Listen to all of the advice that is given to you and put it to work.

"Is it true that you have to go look for fish, and fish won't come to you?"
Give me a break. When have the best things in life ever handed themselves over to you? Everything you get is earned through preparation, dedication, and seizing the opportunity when it shows itself.

"Why is LC so great?"
It is a proven fish killer, but don't take anyone's word for it. If you persevere, you will find out for yourself.

I recommend that for now, you dropshot to gain confidence. Google the dropshot rig to find out how to tie it, go buy some flukes, 1/2oz bell sinkers, and go from there. Dropshotting is much easier on the wallet and is more suitable for your tackle

.Beyond all, you need to put in your time and straighten out some kinks for yourself. No handouts.

bsp
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
How do you know the wave condition/height is ideal for the LC?
What beaches are more suited for LC? I went to Redondo again, and failed, skunked, and yeah... Lost my LC.. there goes my $20.00.

is it true Laguna is the most popular fishing beach also because of the water clarity?

When the surf is below 2ft is generally good, but as long as there are deeper areas for halibut to hide, like near riptides and in holes/troughs in the surf, you can catch halibut when the swell report is up to 5ft. An even, slow rolling swell with long, consistent intervals is also better than a fast, crashing swell with random or short intervals.

LCs catch fish at every beach when presented correctly. It takes time to develop the skill to adapt the LC to different water conditions and figure out where to present for each species. The larger specimens of the most common surf species (perch and yellowfin croaker) will readily attack a LC if you put it in front of them.

There are halibut at Redondo, and they have been caught on LCs. You HAVE to put in more time and effort than just two trips before you dismiss a spot or lure.

If you are really so fast to disregard the LC, I recommend going out and buying some 2in Gulp! Camo Sandworms, 6lb leader, some size 8 barrel swivels, round red beads, size 6 Mosquito hooks (Hayabusa, Owner, or Gamakatsu), some 1/2oz and 3/4oz egg weights, tie them up on a Carolina rig (google it if you don't know) and going for surf perch to gain confidence in artificials. You'll get instant gratification, it'll teach you how to read the surf (a VERY important skill), and give you confidence in artificial baits that should translate over into more willingness to try artificials for halibut.

As CKC said, maybe you'd like dropshotting a little more. Give that a try, and instructions are readily available on the internet. Go to tacklewarehouse.com for good instructions. Zoom Flukes, some 1/2 oz weights, 8lb or 10lb line, size 2 straight shank, and 4/0 offset hooks are all you need.

Halibut fishing is one of the most challenging types of surf fishing. Don't expect success immediately. Time and effort are the most important aspects to becoming a good fisherman with any technique.

Laguna can be good, but you have to know what you are doing. It's not the most popular fishing beach, and most of it is challenging to fish with lots of rocks and kelp to snag up and lose tackle in. You can make very good catches there, but, again, you have to put in the time and effort to scout out areas during different conditions to figure it out. It's also a huge area, so be prepared to walk and drive a lot to find fish.

The South Bay is one of the best places to learn how to surf fish since it has minimal amounts of objects to snag on. If you really are serious about becoming a good halibut fisherman, put in the effort on the various South Bay beaches until you can get them consistently and know WHY you caught them there. Until you can identify why you caught that halibut, you won't be able to identify similar conditions on different beaches and will have very little success over all.

To answer your last question, there are several beaches with very low to no waves on a consistent basis that are not inside a harbor. Where are they.... you'll just have to put in the effort to find them yourself. Looking for free handouts is one of the best ways to not get them when it comes to fishing spots. People will share spots once they feel that the other person will respect said spot. Most of the time, this happens once the person has put in enough time and effort to merit some recognition from others.

Good luck out there whether you choose to continue with halibut fishing or not. As long as you are having a good time, nothing else really matters. Remember the size limit for halibut is 22in, and everything under goes back!

klocked
08-06-2009, 10:51 PM
I agree with almost everything they wrote!! They wont always hit the LC so it would be better to bring 2 setups.... 1 for the LC and 1 for dropshotting. Start out with the LC and if that doesn't produce, try the dropshot. Bringing those two setups with you will double your chances at catching one.

I know your ? was about the LC but....
Next time you're at Redondo and you see a skunk coming on the butts, you could always switch out to a Carolina rig with 1/2oz sliding sinker with a Gulp Camo Sandworm on a #6 mosquito hook and catch Walleye surf perch. Just cast out a little beyond the shore break and slowly reel in all the way to shore. Start on the North side of that little jetty and work your way towards the pier. The Walleyes are usually right in the shore break not even 3ft from the sand. That way you can avoid the skunk:LOL:

You should be able to start catching them before you get half way to that drain. Halis will bite the Camo Sandworm too btw.

The red areas are the hotspots for the Walleyes
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/Im003028.jpg

Wingnut
08-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Read, study and do research on whatever species you intend to target (know your prey).

Spend time in the surf (can't be successful surf fishing if you're not comfortable in it).

Invest some time in finding areas with potential (learn to fish different areas/spots).

Find out what is the best time to fish those spots (High tide or low tide, grey light or sunset).

Then grab an LC and hit the surf. The LC will not help you find spots, bring the fish to you or make you a better fisherman. It can only improve your odds of catching the fish.

Have an alternate plan ready. Practice different techniques, learn to adapt to the conditions and what the bite dictates (what works one week may not work the next). Throwing the LC exclusively will not always get it done. Learn to dropshot and how to use other artificials such as swimbaits and Krocodiles. Expand your horizon & think outside the box.

Do these things in this exact order... and success awaits you. :Wink:

Good luck out there. :Cool:

Justl1keRaven
08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Good luck out there whether you choose to continue with halibut fishing or not. As long as you are having a good time, nothing else really matters. Remember the size limit for halibut is 22in, and everything under goes back!

Oh trust me, I don't give up that easily! I may get skunked or lose an LC, but I think everyone will encounter that right? It's part of the learning process! But I WILL EAT ONE THATS LESS THAN 22 INCH FOR THE TROUBLE!

I kid.

klocked
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
............... But I WILL EAT ONE THATS LESS THAN 22 INCH FOR THE TROUBLE!

I kid.

I hope you're kidding

calico killer kevin
08-07-2009, 02:47 AM
Oh trust me, I don't give up that easily! I may get skunked or lose an LC, but I think everyone will encounter that right? It's part of the learning process! But I WILL EAT ONE THATS LESS THAN 22 INCH FOR THE TROUBLE!

I kid.

I concur. The best ones are between 14-20". Meat is much firmer.

tacklejunkie
08-07-2009, 04:33 PM
I concur. The best ones are between 14-20". Meat is much firmer.
What you talking about willis? :LOL:

Dropshotting is much easier on the wallet
In a way, I got you there too! I lose my drop shot rigs all day but I'm pretty good about losing the LC now! I would go so far as to say I lose $5 in hooks, $10 in line and $5 in d/s sinkers for every half LC I lose! Depending on how you fish the LC might save you some money! :Shocked: Two sides of the coin hehe.

just givin' ya crap mang. :Wink:

calico killer kevin
08-07-2009, 05:14 PM
:Envious:

In a way, I got you there too! I lose my drop shot rigs all day but I'm pretty good about losing the LC now! I would go so far as to say I lose $5 in hooks, $10 in line and $5 in d/s sinkers for every half LC I lose! Depending on how you fish the LC might save you some money! :Shocked: Two sides of the coin hehe.

$20 in dropshots every few trips? Holy crap, what are you fishing? Coral reef? Geez.

To save money, I buy the bulk Owner and Gamakatsu worm hooks, the cheapass bell sinkers from Wally, and back with braid for this type of ish. Costs me $1 to topshot 30yd of 10lb and depending on whether I fish a basstrix or a fluke, about $1.50-$2.50 a rig and I usually lose about 1-2 rigs a trip. Very cost efficient if I may say so.:LOL:

BTW, I've been killing the spotties and sandies lately on the DS flashtrix in Siver Ghost and Milky White in 3"-4".

BTW-2, Fisherman's Access in Brea has a ton of sick new Flashminnows in stock such as BSP, Smelt, etc. that you and Winggy might want to add to your collections.

Justl1keRaven
08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
When you drop shot rig, what size would be ideal for a fluke or worm? Do you scent it? Would a bait casting reel be more efficient?

What do you catch with dropshot?

calico killer kevin
08-07-2009, 05:28 PM

When you drop shot rig, what size would be ideal for a fluke or worm? Do you scent it? Would a bait casting reel be more efficient?

What do you catch with dropshot?
TRy to mimic a baitfish with the original sized fluke. Smaller worms might work pretty well on the croakers and perch, but I'd stick to baitfish for halis.

Scenting definitely helps. I like procure or unibutter.

Personally, I prefer to DS with spinners, but I've seen people using baitcasters. More efficient? I don't think so because the gear ratios of most spinning reels allow you to retrieve less line than casters, allowing you to work the dropshot better.

tacklejunkie
08-07-2009, 05:37 PM
$20 in dropshots every few trips?I didn't say how often though.. I'd say I go through about that much every four trips. I also change line more than I should. But I don't lose an LC once every four trips, so I think I save money using the LC. I usually throw it when the water is clear. The thing I catch the most with this lure is "white sea bags". With the occasional cracking one open casting to rocky/submerged structures. (They hold together with a legal while cracked half way around the diameter! :LOL: )

But there are those days where a C-rig or D/S will work and the LC will not though so like Klocked said I usually bring both, along with a Kroc spoon and a few leadhead/big hammer swimbaits.

I agree, the Gamakatsu bulk d/s hook packs are a good value, but can be hard for me to source sometimes. I also use a high quality (read as "I pay too much for my") drop shot sinkers now because I find they give me less trouble and in fact help in some situations.

When I drop shot, I use 6lb line, but others use 8.
You'd want say a #1 gamakatsu split shot/drop shot hook (Walmart)
and 3/8oz or 1/2oz drop shot sinker.

I like to use "baby flukes" in the surf or 4" flashtrix like Mike the PMB told me about. They work great! You can also use 3" gulp minnows! Those are like cheating though :LOL:

Like stated elsewhere, try calico cocktail procure.

I've caught all the same fish on drop shot I did on th LCFM110 lure,
but all the fish I catch on the LCFM110 are much bigger! Also, I find it fun when they "hit" (eat) the lure.. Adrenaline you can't find anywhere else but dancing with mother nature and her "pets". You never know exactly what is going to be on the end of your line next with that lure!

vanillagurilla
08-07-2009, 05:37 PM
i use a curado 100b bait caster with 20lb braid and 6-8lb topshot for dropshotting right now. i also use 1/0 gamagatsu dropshot/finesse hooks and a 3/8oz casting sinkers as my ds weight. better than baby flukes are bass assassins in smokein shad color if you can find them. http://www.bassassassin.com/p/-Salt-%26-Pepper-Silver-Phantom-3-inch-Shads/bass-fishing-lures/-CAT-CAC197/-3-inch-Shads/SA13336/ these bad boys are MONEY!

vanillagurilla
08-07-2009, 05:39 PM
yeah TJ slow rollin that biotch and then ur rod loads up and its ON!@!

spooks
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think you're ready to fish the LC yet. Wait till you gain confidence for the halis and purchase more suitable tackle. You expect the LC to be your halibut killing "gurantee", but that's the wrong way to approach.

"Is it true that 90% of the time you won't catch anything?"
??? Definitely not. It all depends on where you fish and if you know what you're doing. Every single thing that you do can either raise or lower your chance of catching fish. Listen to all of the advice that is given to you and put it to work.

"Is it true that you have to go look for fish, and fish won't come to you?"
Give me a break. When have the best things in life ever handed themselves over to you? Everything you get is earned through preparation, dedication, and seizing the opportunity when it shows itself.

"Why is LC so great?"
It is a proven fish killer, but don't take anyone's word for it. If you persevere, you will find out for yourself.

I recommend that for now, you dropshot to gain confidence. Google the dropshot rig to find out how to tie it, go buy some flukes, 1/2oz bell sinkers, and go from there. Dropshotting is much easier on the wallet and is more suitable for your tackle

.Beyond all, you need to put in your time and straighten out some kinks for yourself. No handouts.

well said, good advice .

Liteweight
08-09-2009, 12:25 AM
Something I learned a while ago, during the summer (and sometimes in the early fall) check the link @ sportfishing report.com and click on the bouy (swell) satelite download. When Tropical depressions form and move out past the Baja tip there will be a window where the swells will affect West Coast surf and tides. There is usually a few (3-5) day lag when the swells reach So. Cal. Keep an eye on the projected Surf Reports on the local news weather reports, that should give you a heads up.

When the surf is below 2ft is generally good, but as long as there are deeper areas for halibut to hide, like near riptides and in holes/troughs in the surf, you can catch halibut when the swell report is up to 5ft. An even, slow rolling swell with long, consistent intervals is also better than a fast, crashing swell with random or short intervals.

LCs catch fish at every beach when presented correctly. It takes time to develop the skill to adapt the LC to different water conditions and figure out where to present for each species. The larger specimens of the most common surf species (perch and yellowfin croaker) will readily attack a LC if you put it in front of them.

There are halibut at Redondo, and they have been caught on LCs. You HAVE to put in more time and effort than just two trips before you dismiss a spot or lure.

If you are really so fast to disregard the LC, I recommend going out and buying some 2in Gulp! Camo Sandworms, 6lb leader, some size 8 barrel swivels, round red beads, size 6 Mosquito hooks (Hayabusa, Owner, or Gamakatsu), some 1/2oz and 3/4oz egg weights, tie them up on a Carolina rig (google it if you don't know) and going for surf perch to gain confidence in artificials. You'll get instant gratification, it'll teach you how to read the surf (a VERY important skill), and give you confidence in artificial baits that should translate over into more willingness to try artificials for halibut.

As CKC said, maybe you'd like dropshotting a little more. Give that a try, and instructions are readily available on the internet. Go to tacklewarehouse.com for good instructions. Zoom Flukes, some 1/2 oz weights, 8lb or 10lb line, size 2 straight shank, and 4/0 offset hooks are all you need.

Halibut fishing is one of the most challenging types of surf fishing. Don't expect success immediately. Time and effort are the most important aspects to becoming a good fisherman with any technique.

Laguna can be good, but you have to know what you are doing. It's not the most popular fishing beach, and most of it is challenging to fish with lots of rocks and kelp to snag up and lose tackle in. You can make very good catches there, but, again, you have to put in the time and effort to scout out areas during different conditions to figure it out. It's also a huge area, so be prepared to walk and drive a lot to find fish.

The South Bay is one of the best places to learn how to surf fish since it has minimal amounts of objects to snag on. If you really are serious about becoming a good halibut fisherman, put in the effort on the various South Bay beaches until you can get them consistently and know WHY you caught them there. Until you can identify why you caught that halibut, you won't be able to identify similar conditions on different beaches and will have very little success over all.

To answer your last question, there are several beaches with very low to no waves on a consistent basis that are not inside a harbor. Where are they.... you'll just have to put in the effort to find them yourself. Looking for free handouts is one of the best ways to not get them when it comes to fishing spots. People will share spots once they feel that the other person will respect said spot. Most of the time, this happens once the person has put in enough time and effort to merit some recognition from others.

Some of the most detailed info I've seen in a while.
Good reading.

I agree with almost everything they wrote!! They wont always hit the LC so it would be better to bring 2 setups.... 1 for the LC and 1 for dropshotting. Start out with the LC and if that doesn't produce, try the dropshot. Bringing those two setups with you will double your chances at catching one.

I know your ? was about the LC but....
Next time you're at Redondo and you see a skunk coming on the butts, you could always switch out to a Carolina rig with 1/2oz sliding sinker with a Gulp Camo Sandworm on a #6 mosquito hook and catch Walleye surf perch. Just cast out a little beyond the shore break and slowly reel in all the way to shore. Start on the North side of that little jetty and work your way towards the pier. The Walleyes are usually right in the shore break not even 3ft from the sand. That way you can avoid the skunk:LOL:

You should be able to start catching them before you get half way to that drain. Halis will bite the Camo Sandworm too btw.

The red areas are the hotspots for the Walleyes
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn39/klocked/Im003028.jpg

More good info.

Read, study and do research on whatever species you intend to target (know your prey).

Spend time in the surf (can't be successful surf fishing if you're not comfortable in it).

Invest some time in finding areas with potential (learn to fish different areas/spots).

Find out what is the best time to fish those spots (High tide or low tide, grey light or sunset).

Then grab an LC and hit the surf. The LC will not help you find spots, bring the fish to you or make you a better fisherman. It can only improve your odds of catching the fish.

Have an alternate plan ready. Practice different techniques, learn to adapt to the conditions and what the bite dictates (what works one week may not work the next). Throwing the LC exclusively will not always get it done. Learn to dropshot and how to use other artificials such as swimbaits and Krocodiles. Expand your horizon & think outside the box.

Do these things in this exact order... and success awaits you. :Wink:

Good luck out there. :Cool:

Even more good info.

Also read someone's question/response to bulk dropshot hooks...Check out Cabela's. Picked up bulk packs of #8 (63 qty), #6 (57 qty), #4 (57 qty) and #2's (51 qty) of Owner Mosquito Hooks for drop-shotting LMB when they were on sale, but even @ regular retail they're still under $10 per package! Just try adding up the price of a bulk purchase (and remember you can use them for LMB too) as opposed to buying (and frequently replacing) single packs.
LW
btw: guys, keep that excelent info coming. Though not always stated...quality info is always appreciated!!!

whate
10-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Awesome info. This gives me more confidence. Thanks bsp.

GeordyBass
10-01-2009, 11:24 PM
Not hating or offending, but seems like ur trying to get all the info and spots by asking questions like that. Remember, most people here get the spots right by searching and roaming around every different beach an jetty and put in a lot of effort to improve their fish catching efficiency and skills. The Lure is partly helping you get the fish to react, the rest is if you throw it in the right zones and also the right areas and structures for halibut. I am not experienced in the surf because I've done it just a couple of times. I've caughten maybe 10 pancakes and a few other fish in the 2-3 trips I've done on the surf out up "north"....lol.... Effort and time will put you on fish with a little luck mixed in. Don't just rely or fish the LC by itself. I personally have dropshot gear all the time, fresh or salt so be it.... If you aint catchin on LC use something else that day! DS Gulp 5-6" jerkshads or any other gulp product, even Zooms will work.... Good Luck!

Famous Ticketz
03-14-2011, 08:34 AM
alot of useful info in these posts, thanks to everyone..

smokehound
03-15-2011, 10:54 PM
You're going to have to spend some time on the surf and harbor to really get the hang of it.

If surf fishing, you need to learn about structure, and how it affects the surface of the water.

I like to spend a while watching the beach before i fish. You can see what's going on, rather than blind casting.

Terns diving indicate schools of tiny fish, which are food for slightly bigger fish, etc. look for them around the surf.

Big G
03-17-2011, 10:06 AM
FYI I was having a hard tme findind LC's. I learned the good online spots to find them from Wingnut. But I also got the new owner of Action Tackle to start carrying them. So now I have my arsenol, I picked up A new rig at the fred hall show too. Ill be out there this weekend.