PDA

View Full Version : whats the best way to fish convict?

christainmetalhead909
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
i have never been there and i have a 14' boat i can take, but i was wondering if it was worth it. what is the best way to fish convict, or where a good spot is if any one is willing to give it up, whats best? trolling, bait and wait, fly fishing, lures? ill be leaving on the 10th any info will be great,

thank you.

J-hook
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
From the dam parking to the back of the lake and return is 2+ miles hike on the north shore. It's probably quarter to half mile less round if you can park on the south shore parking close to the trail and hike the south shore. How's your legs and hiking? Both shores have their share of cliffs and embankments to negotiate; and this gives a more limited amount of easy-access shoreline spots, and the easy/good spots go first.

I've seen shoreline people do just as well as boaters. You can float tube it too. Pontoons, canoe, kayak also.

samgann93
08-04-2009, 03:44 PM
i have done well fishing with lip ripperz wacky rigged. slowly dragging on the bottom.

troutdog
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Fish the inlet....hands down best spot on the lake imo. Crawlers or power worms would be my bait of choice.

TD

syiamonster
08-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Inlet for sure. I usually do pretty well of the shore too, if I don't get a boat. I usually do well with a Panther Martin at that lake. 1/32, black with yellow spots on body, gold blade. Power worms kill anywhere in the Sierras.

christainmetalhead909
08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
awesome guys, thanks for the info. im excited to go i have been wanting to go to this lake for years now. ill try the inlet first then if thats no go then ill try the othe spots.

christainmetalhead909
08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
From the dam parking to the back of the lake and return is 2+ miles hike on the north shore. It's probably quarter to half mile less round if you can park on the south shore parking close to the trail and hike the south shore. How's your legs and hiking? Both shores have their share of cliffs and embankments to negotiate; and this gives a more limited amount of easy-access shoreline spots, and the easy/good spots go first.

I've seen shoreline people do just as well as boaters. You can float tube it too. Pontoons, canoe, kayak also.

i may do the hike to the north shore, my legs are good, but i will have my little brother with me he is 12 but i think he can handel it also.

greg
08-07-2009, 01:27 PM
One trick I learned years ago about fishing Convict is to smear some of that garlic butter spread on your inflated crawler. It continues to work well at Convict but not so well on other lakes...

christainmetalhead909
08-07-2009, 02:30 PM
thanks greg i have the trout garlic dip i think it would work the same. thanks for the info.