PDA

View Full Version : Albacore Report 6/26

WalePescado
06-27-2007, 09:15 AM
I fished aboard the Condor out of Fisherman's Landing yesterday. In light of the bite turn on that happened over the weekend I had to get out. Told the boss I'd be taking Tuesday off and headed down to SD Monday after work.

The morning started off with jig strikes and the occasional bait fish every half hour or so. There was then a good 3+ hour lull without a hit. I got the biggest boner (hehe) I had caught since I was 12 or so on the troll.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Bonito.jpg

After a few more hours of NOTHING we had a jig strike and I was able to get an albacore on a sardine. This was the only good stop of the day (and last) with multiple hookups, however it was a total SNAFU and alot of folks lost their fish.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Albie.jpg

I fished this boat once last season and would recommend it. The crew are great and do a dandy job. On a side note, we were buzzed by one of the f*!king seiners helicopters when we were on the last school. The seiner we could see off in the distance was on our *** in no time. Bastards!

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/Both.jpg
[/img]

D-PESCADOR
06-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Congrats on your catch no :skunk: for you .

SOSO
06-27-2007, 09:52 AM
Great pictures! Thanks for the report. I cant wait to go fish for Tuna.

Wingnut
06-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Nice catch, thanks for the report! :wink:

Cabin Fever
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Good job on the albies, thanks for the pics and report. On my trip it seemed like the albies wanted to bite later in the day. It seems like right now a 1 1/2 daytrip would be the way to go giving you the extra time in the afternoon. I agree with you on the seiners. I hear they are monitoring the radio for sportboats on a school and rushing in to wrap it. Thanks again. :thumb: :thumb:

BBL2Baja
06-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice catch on those albies!! And dude, that is a real nice bonita!
:thumb: :thumb:

Later,
Scott

seanyboi
06-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Nice catch!! I was trying to decide which 2 day i wanted to go on either condor or the legend. Ater the report i might choose the condor

06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I just got off of the Islander I caught 5 albies and a couple YT...Seiners were everywhere about 7 of them...2 helicopters and 1 plane....

sansou
06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Very nice fish & pics, especially the monster bonito!

I'm excited to see the possiblity of albacore this season. It's been a little while since we've seen them....

SanDimasLMB
06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
thats a very nice bonie and albie :thumb: too bad the skipper did a sh*t job on gaffing the albacore though, thats a lot of good meat lost

halo16
06-27-2007, 08:57 PM
Nice report great pics,

Hey i'm a bit of a newbe when it comes to tuna, so whats a seiner copter?

Anyways nice bonita and albie.

sansou
06-27-2007, 09:26 PM
Nice report great pics,

Hey i'm a bit of a newbe when it comes to tuna, so whats a seiner copter?

Anyways nice bonita and albie.

It's exactly what it sounds like: a helicopter (contracted out or owned by the operator sometimes) that assists the seiners do two things. One is to locate schools, and the other is to assist in making a perfect netting. Keep in mind their nets care HUGE. They do this by radio to the skiffs and main boat.

Hopefully someone here on the board knows the particulars better and can tell us what working on one is like...

reckless_m@
06-27-2007, 09:27 PM
That bone is almost as big as the albie! Good jab man!

Funjunkie74
06-27-2007, 09:31 PM
NNNNAAAAAAIIIIIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEE!!!

I am so excited for my next trip!!

Maybe I'll get my alba!!!

Great pics!!

FJ74

one_leg
06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Nice PIGGY, WP!!!

One_Leg

diamondbear
06-27-2007, 10:19 PM
NICE FISH AND THANKS FOR THE REPORT , IAM LEAVING SUN. NIGHT ON A 2.50 DAY OUT OF POINT LOMA , CANT WAIT // DB