PDA

View Full Version : not a good way to start the day :(

fisheraces
08-04-2009, 07:20 AM
http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_12988992?source=rss

Puropuro
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I thought you could keep them over 36". What do they mean by "permit"?

fish4keep
08-04-2009, 10:33 AM

I don't know, but I think legally if you want to have leopard shark in an aquarium, you need a permit from DFG. If you're keeping a legal size leopard to eat, then all you need is a fishing license if not caught from piers or harbor jetties.....

But from the sound of it, it looks like whoever did this took a preggo leo to harvest the babies. Only a cut was made in the belly of the female leo. Not sure what the other one is since you can't see the underside of it.....

Troutman65
08-04-2009, 11:42 AM
I just saw this on the news. Terrible for sure. So my question is are the Lepord sharks protected ?

midgettosser1
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM

"It is illegal to possess a leopard shark under 36 inches, and larger ones can be kept only by state Fish and Games permit,"

I think they mean that under no circumstances can you keep a leo under 36 inches. But if you have a fishing permit from DFG, it is legal to keep them at 36 inches or larger.

Maybe this whole story is no more complicated than someone catching 2 leo's, planning on eating them, but getting to lazy to clean them... then dumping the carcasses into a trashcan.
hell, maybe someone found them washed up on shore and took them home for their kids to dissect. could have been anything.

sucks to waste their lives... but this might not be quite the conspiracy some may make it out to be.

midgettosser1
08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
I just saw this on the news. Terrible for sure. So my question is are the Lepord sharks protected ?

just the ones under 36 inches I'd imagine.

Puropuro
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Maybe this whole story is no more complicated than someone catching 2 leo's, planning on eating them, but getting to lazy to clean them... then dumping the carcasses into a trashcan.
hell, maybe someone found them washed up on shore and took them home for their kids to dissect. could have been anything.

sucks to waste their lives... but this might not be quite the conspiracy some may make it out to be.

I know.....it's CHUPACABRA 2009!!!