PDA

View Full Version : Bishop 6/22-25

fisheral
06-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Slow...slowww...and slower...

The fish just weren't biting this time, and/or there just weren't many fish left to catch. The weather was hot in town-100- and I believe it got close to 80 at Intake 2 and even Sabrina. That could have played a part also, so my "excuse" this time is both weather and lack of fish. Did I mention the wind as well? It got rather gusty at times, and Mammoth was even worse, and June Loop also wasn't lacking for wind. So although I didn't catch many fish- just 5 overall- I did get my Alpers once again! :)

Fri- Saw the Alpers truck driving down as I was going up to Intake, so just missed it. Didn't see many fish hanging around the front and there were a few kids around so I didn't want to join them. Walked down towards the dam as I didn't see any fish hanging around the usual spots. After a couple hours, I finally hooked into a fish, and was surprised with an Alpers. Finally got it in after it kept running away from my net a few times. Weighed close to 4 lbs, 18 inches. The lure in the picture is what I caught it on- a Thomas Cyclone 1/6 oz. red/gold. It seems that I'm catching more of my Alpers on the smaller Cyclones compared to the regular Buoyants lately. I managed only 3 more the rest of the day, but the Alpers was good enough.

Sat- Went to Intake again, but the fish weren't biting at all. I only caught 1 all day. The strange thing is that usually I can always see a good number of fish following/chasing Buoyants, but I barely saw any all day.

Sun- Went to see the June Lake Loop, stopped at Gull lake. Saw the Alpers they have in a little pond at the marina. Tried the "back" of the lake for a bit and just missed an Alpers- it just wouldn't bite what I had out there. A guy in a kayak had been there for 4 days, and he only caught 3 fish, but one was an Alpers. He had a fishfinder and said the trout were holding down at 32 feet! So more slow fishing. Went to Lake Mary for a little bit also, got nothing and only saw a few fish caught. And it was really windy up there, especially at Twin Lakes.

Mon- Tried Intake one last time and got nothing. Since I've been at a few DFG stockings on Mondays, I was hoping for another, but nothing came...yet. Heading down the road back to town, alas the truck was going up! Just missed it, but it wasn't too bad since I mostly release all DFG fish, but it would have been nice to feel the tug of just a few more fish before leaving.

So it was basically slow everywhere. Supposedly Intake was stocked Thursday, but since many fish weren't caught the whole weekend, I think it was stocked before then. Lake Sabrina mentioned being stocked on Monday, so I think Intake may have been stocked the same day, and since the DFG showed up again the next Monday, that further supported my thinking. And so if Intake was stocked Monday, then I could see why fishing would be really slow if a lot of fish were taken before Friday. And since I missed the Alpers stocking, I don't know how many Alpers were put in, but I didn't see many caught the whole weekend. The weather was warm everywhere as well, so I wonder how big a role that played in the fishing. I hope that this trip wasn't a sign for what's to come up there, as I expect it to only get hotter as the summer moves along. Along with the heat comes algae/vegetation growth as well- I think Intake has too much and it's possibly playing a role in the fishing. I hope things improve the rest of the season and good luck to anyone going up there!

sierraslam
06-27-2007, 07:02 AM
Come on now, a 4 pound Alpers Trout will make anyone a happy fisherman. Got just take in scenery and enjoy the Sierras when the fishing is slow. Fall will be really good lake fishing this year even if it's ugly because of low water levels. good fishin!

SDJHawk
06-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the info though. When you get the chance check you pm I sent you.
Thanks

one_leg
06-28-2007, 01:32 AM
Nice thick fish you landed there. Congratulations.

One_Leg

Troutman65
06-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Nice trout you caught there

:thumb:

Thanks for your post

Tm65

smokehound
06-28-2007, 06:43 PM
Dang.. look at that fatazz

gwar666r
06-30-2007, 04:38 PM
i was up there about the same time you were and i was slaying the fish at intake 2, 1 after the other i fished south lake and ended up with 5 different kinds of fish in 30 minutes a brook,stalker raindow,alpers,a brown and a cross between a brown and a rainbow it was crazy and ended the trip at north lake with 8 fish in an hour all fish were cought on a red and gold t/b

fisheral
06-30-2007, 05:03 PM
gwar666r- You probably got there right after the DFG stock. No one was even close to slaying them when I was there. What day were you at Intake?

gwar666r
07-01-2007, 02:12 PM
on wed the day after they stock there all the fish were in the deeper water