PDA

View Full Version : good spots for butts

bassaholic90
07-31-2009, 11:29 PM
can anyone help me out with a good area to catch some butts. im c&l just so you know i mainly fish newport harbor

keenefish
08-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Man, put your time into the surf for that, do your homework and you will be rewarded!
keene

victor101
08-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Man, put your time into the surf for that, do your homework and you will be rewarded!
keene

+1

...either that or follow Wingnut around!

bassaholic90
08-01-2009, 10:17 AM
keene

thanks guys....... i put plenty of time in just hopeing for some advise where to fish. i always get pancakes never bigger then 6 inches

Simplyeman
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
I wish it were that easy but people wont give up their sweet spots =)

Enjoy the hunt.

calico killer kevin
08-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Start at Cherry Beach and around the Belmont Shores area. Dropshot some fluke looking baits and you'll do fine.

Like the guys said, just put in your time. No handouts.

bones
08-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Well....I could give up a few good spots by newport but then I would have to KILLLLLLL YOU....LOL

JK Dude!

Although I can't give up any of my spots I will try to help a bit. In my experience If you are sticking the pancakes.....You are very close to the bigger models. Keep moving around. Countless times I have been fishing with Wingnut and we have been on a pancake fest when we found a spot that was holding bigger models. The little guys aren't as picky about water clarity as the bigger flatties.
Prime conditions for flatties include....

1. Clear conditions. (not kelp conditions but actual visibility)
2. Consistant water temps above 58 degrees.
3. Presence of baitfish (sardines,anchovies and smelt) The bigger the better!
4. Structure (sand bars,troughs,boiler rocks,kelp beds)
5. Good current (tide swings NOT turbulance)
6. Calm conditions (flatties don't like big waves)

In a nutshell......Calm,Warm,Clear conditions will draw the bait into the shallows and they like some kind of structure to hang around. Flatties will always follow.
Remember....Flatties are opportunists.....Ambush masters......If there is no available food source.....They will move out.

Hope this helps you a bit. Try going to maps.google.com and play with the satellight link. It's amazing what you can find. If you are sticking the pancakes....Just keep moving and you will find the bigger models.

Good luck-----<><

bsp
08-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Dude, don't worry. You'll stick a legal eventually. Every halibut hunter went through exactly what you are going through right now. Specific spots aren't usually handed out, but most guys will help you figure out how to find your own. Mike (Bones) pretty much hit the nail on the head with what to look for. I'll put my own spin on it.

As a general rule, halibut like calm areas (small waves or no waves) with structure nearby to ambush bait fish. Structure can be kelp, boiler rocks, jetties, pier pilings, eel grass beds, riptides, holes, and troughs in the sand. All these can be found by taking a few minutes to look at the beach before fishing. The presence of bait fish is also good indicator of halibut or other predatory fish. If bait can be seen puddling on the surface or in the waves, chances are halibut will be actively feeding. Sometimes you'll even see halibut go air born!

Some things to think about when scouting an area are:

If I were a halibut, where would the best place be to put myself to ambush bait with the least amount of effort? Is there access to an escape route nearby in case I get spooked? Where are there the most options for cover (an area that combines cover types is preferable to one that does not)?

Lure selection is pretty basic. You are either tossing a dropshot rig or a jerkbait (usually a Flash minnow 110 by Lucky Craft). Most guys start off with the LC to cover water and see how halibut are feeding, and then switch to the dropshot to work the area more thoroughly. Dropshot Zoom Flukes and Gulp! Baitfish with a 1/4oz to 1/2oz weight. A 3in Big Hammer or Pearl swimbait will also work at times. Use baitfish colors for all of these like Smelt, Anchovy, and Sardine.

With this info, you should be able to find your own spot. Remember: Look for ambush sites (structure), an escape route, and hopefully some baitfish presence all in an area with minimal waves. On an open beach, this usually means fishing near jetties, riptides, and holes or troughs. On a calm beach, this means fishing near visible depressions, eel grass beds, kelp, and boiler rocks.

Remember to ask questions if you need some help. There are a lot of talented halibut fishermen on this board, and they'll help you out.

Good Luck, and release your PB fish!

Also, what exactly are you doing when you go halibut hunting? It may be that you are in the right spot, but doing something wrong for the legal halibut.

CKC was right about Cherry being good for halibut. If you try that area enough, you will eventually get a legal. Still, I am not sure I'd ever keep one from around there.

bassaholic90
08-01-2009, 10:04 PM
thanks for the help guys im going to fish there this monday ill have to let you guys know how i do.

Wingnut
08-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Mike (Bones) & Marc (BSP) said it all. :Cool: One thing I would like to add is some people like to fish for Halibut on sunny & clear, cloudless days... I've had more luck on overcast days and prefer fishing the early morning grey light hours. :Wink: Good luck out there.

Mike & Marc... see ya boys in a few hours! :Twisted: :Wink: :Secret: