PDA

View Full Version : Night at the Coachella Canal 7-31 40+

Desertfishen2
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
My son went on a trip to the coachella canal with some friends for some Channel Cats Thursday night. Had a few nibbles and one nice one that broke the line off on an underwater obstruction. Just about time to go at 1:30am when my son decided one more try. He tossed a liver shrimp combo just off to the side of the main current and seemed to snag the bottom. With one big yank the bottom began to move and it seemed to be coming toward him. He kept reeling and the fish never seemed to be concerned it was even hooked. after about 10 minutes the fish must have noticed the hook because the thing started to take off. after another 10 the fish was close again then zip off it went. another 10 had passed and the fish finally showed its face. And what a :EyePop: SURPRISE :EyePop: when he realized it wasnt a channel cat but a very large PB(hell first) FlatHead. after another 10 he got it to the side and grabbed that sucker and yanked him on the shore. After getting it home and weighing him in that fish tipped the scales at 42.3lbs and 41.25 inches long . well all i can say is HOW.

well that may sound like a normal everyday story but wait it gets better. his tackle consisted of: freshwater bass rod and reel loaded with 10lb test fluorocarbon line. LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY :Envious:

i gueas after all that you guys want to see some pictures:

" Dad said catfish dont have teeth. OUCH!!! "
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn404/DesertFishen/DSCF0933.jpg
Beast next to the amazing tackle.lol
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn404/DesertFishen/DSCF0930.jpg
first FlatHead and PB (obviously)
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn404/DesertFishen/DSCF0943.jpg

Not for tacos this is a steak
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn404/DesertFishen/DSCF0945.jpg
Sorry but if he didnt keep it our family fish fry would have been just a fry(in this hot desert heat)

OMWAA
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow!!! Congrats to your son. Thats crazy. I bet very few people on here have ever landed a catfish like that in all their years of fishing. I know I haven't. Just goes to show you.....give it one last cast.

Erik

CL SmooV
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Holy Mother Mary and JoJO!!!!!!!!!!! Damn thats a LUNK!!!! way to go. I havent seen one that healthy in years. Congrats!

smoov

Catrack77
07-31-2009, 03:34 PM
Sweet, very nice flat

fishinone
07-31-2009, 03:53 PM
WOW! What a toad.

I'm sure most guys have never seen a catfish like that. I sure haven't.

Lightning
07-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Awesome fish! Have they closed off a lot of the canal to fishing or is it still okay? Congrats on the huge kitty.

old pudd fisher
07-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Dammmm what a cat.

crappie stalker
08-01-2009, 05:59 AM
WHHEEEEWWWWEEEEE that was a great catch there.. That will be one of the tastiest fish to comeout of your grease at the fry... Also notice everyone the small fat content on this beast.. A channel at ten pounds would have much more fat than this beast does.. These flats are lean eating and fightin machines...

Congrats on the fish of a lifetime.. Story that will last forever...
What area of the coachella were you hitting?? Gates or straights? What general area??

CS

Astrolux
08-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Nice fish man. One word of advice though. Next time you catch one of those monsters, hang him up and cut his tail off while he is still alive and let all that blood flow out of the meat. It makes the meat taste a little better. :Wink:

team760
08-01-2009, 09:06 AM
great flathead...congrats on the pb.....nice pics...T.

CDOUBLE
08-01-2009, 09:42 AM
now that's a fish. That story that goes with it will live forever with you guys. One last cast, lite tackle, liver and shrimp,40 minute fight equal 40+ flathead. Awesome.
Question? in the area that you fished was the canal fenced, we have noticed that most of our old spots have been fenced and locked?

Way to go

Cdouble

Desertfishen2
08-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Nice fish man. One word of advice though. Next time you catch one of those monsters, hang him up and cut his tail off while he is still alive and let all that blood flow out of the meat. It makes the meat taste a little better. :Wink:
thanx We'll give it a try

Congrats on the fish of a lifetime.. Story that will last forever...
What area of the coachella were you hitting?? Gates or straights? What general area??

CS
Gates where the water is really moving

now that's a fish. That story that goes with it will live forever with you guys. One last cast, lite tackle, liver and shrimp,40 minute fight equal 40+ flathead. Awesome.
Question? in the area that you fished was the canal fenced, we have noticed that most of our old spots have been fenced and locked?

Way to go

Cdouble

we drive up a side road to the canal and walk up a small hill. people camp out in the desert often to ride there quads and what not in the day and walk up the bank to fish at night.
i think the fence/gate is to keep people off the access road.

RedKnight
08-01-2009, 11:08 AM
WOW, congrats on the moster. What a story to share. Thanks.

bluehunter
08-01-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice flathead. That is cool getting on light gear. Should put out some excellent tasting fish there is nothing like flatheads for that matter.

Asecino420
08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Hmm good meat there...great catch...congrats.

diamondbear
08-01-2009, 04:39 PM
now thats a big fish , well done . those steaks look good .

DesertFishen3
08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
hello all Thanx for the kind words and yes i will remember this for a very very long time. obviously i am desertfishen2's son(i caught that beast)

by the way it was a great fish fry. some of the best fish i have ever had. I cant wait to get back out there to get another nice cat.

jsl
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Congrats!! Thx for the great report. Are those flatheads as good as channels, and what type of breading do u guys use to fry em?

Scott

DesertFishen3
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
the flathead is better than channel in my opinion. and probably a lot of other people too. all we use is cornmeal and they come out perfect.

RamboBoy
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
How is canal the water level going?

Big kitty, man

smokehound
08-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Holy crap that is a titan! Man that must have made you feel awesome for days!

Congratulations!

skunkmaster
08-13-2009, 05:28 PM
Nice catfish. Perfect catch for a new avatar pic eh? :Smile:

Bird dog
08-17-2009, 03:07 PM
I had heard that the local police had been issuing trespassing citations along the canal.Is that not a problem any longer? Thanks

RamboBoy
08-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I had heard that the local police had been issuing trespassing citations along the canal.Is that not a problem any longer? Thanks

I went there before I didn't get a issuing trespassing citations. No problemo! Good luck out there