PDA

View Full Version : 14 Mile Drop Off

Mojave River Angler
07-30-2009, 02:07 PM
It looks like I'll be fishing saltwater next weekend with a small group of friends. We'll be heading out of Newport to what they call the "14 mile drop off". What do I need to know about fishing this area? Any clues will be appreciated.

MRA

PUDD MASTER BAITER
07-31-2009, 07:00 AM
If your talking about 14mile bank. We use to go after makos out there.i caught my first mako there. I hooked ,and lost my first ever marlin, free lining a big makerel,while fishing for makos.i believe the tuna, will be in there some times .good luck on your adventure.

HESBROS
07-31-2009, 08:25 AM
There have been some Marlin out there and Dorado under the kelps. Depends on what your group plans on fishing for as far as what you need to know.

It is also called the 14 mile bank. It is not a drop off, it is a high spot or a bank 14 miles off the coast, between Cat Isl. and the coast.

Good luck out there.

Mojave River Angler
08-02-2009, 09:00 PM
Ok, I got it that it is a "bank". Not sure who I was talking to that called it a drop off. I'll report on what happens out there. I'm also looking at a run to the Sea of Cortez in a couple of weeks. Never been there before either. I love new adventures.

MRA