PDA

View Full Version : szechuan green beans

Oz
07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
for the vegetable lovers. great side dish here.:Cool:

1 pound Chinese longbeans
(also called yardlong beans or just longbeans)
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
2 scallions (spring onions, green onions),
white parts only
1/2 teaspoon chili paste
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Pepper to taste, optional
2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil for stir-frying,
or as needed

Wash the longbeans, drain thoroughly, and trim the tops and bottoms.

Cut the longbeans on the diagonal into slices approximately 2 inches long.

Chop the garlic, ginger and white part of the scallions.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the longbeans and stir-fry
until they start to shrivel or "pucker" and turn brown (5 - 7 minutes).
Remove the long beans and drain in a colander or on paper towels.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the wok on high heat. Add the garlic, ginger and
scallions. Stir-fry for a few seconds, then add the chili paste and stir-fry
for a few more seconds until aromatic. Add the longbeans and the remaining
ingredients. Mix together and serve.

Troutman65
07-30-2009, 12:11 AM
What would you think if one would substitute the veg. or peanut oil for some sesame oil?

Thanks for the post :Cool:

Oz
07-30-2009, 02:11 AM
i dont think it would matter. oil is oil lollll just depends on your preference on that.

LA Smoker
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
i dont think it would matter. oil is oil lollll just depends on your preference on that.

Hmmm... I disagree. The reason why you would use peanut oil is because of it's high smoke point, same thing with Canola and Vegetable oil, when wok-ing. Wok-ing requires very very very high heat. Running requires even more heat. Sesame Oil has a low smoke point and plus it would change the flavor of the dish. Dont get me wrong, sesame oil is my favorite oil but it will change the flavor quite significantly. And Sesame oil tends to taste a little bitter and metallic after it burns, therefore I do not recommend wok-ing with Sesame oil. Skipping however is definately encouraged.

Wow never even knew about this section...

Oz
07-30-2009, 05:15 PM
lolll okay bob. now u know about it.

guess i should have said i dunno cuz i only use canola, vegetable or peanut oil. i like to use chili oil also. it gives it more of a kick on anything :Cool:

Troutman65
07-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Hmmm... I disagree. The reason why you would use peanut oil is because of it's high smoke point, same thing with Canola and Vegetable oil, when wok-ing. Wok-ing requires very very very high heat. Running requires even more heat. Sesame Oil has a low smoke point and plus it would change the flavor of the dish. Dont get me wrong, sesame oil is my favorite oil but it will change the flavor quite significantly. And Sesame oil tends to taste a little bitter and metallic after it burns, therefore I do not recommend wok-ing with Sesame oil. Skipping however is definately encouraged.

Wow never even knew about this section...

Glad you found it. :LOL:

Recipe calls for Med. heat Thats why I thought one might swap out the oil. :Wink: