PDA

View Full Version : eating sharks

Poseidon
06-26-2007, 07:26 PM
What kind sharks can you eat if you catch it off the surf or from a boat??
If you can post a image to with your reply that would be great.

cappo
06-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Leopards, smoothhounds,shovelnose. And also these but dont think you'll get them from the surf, Mako, thresher, sevengill. I heard also soupfin.

sonarbp
06-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Leopards, smoothhounds,shovelnose. And also these but dont think you'll get them from the surf, Mako, thresher, sevengill. I heard also soupfin.

cappo is right but there are several more that are edible!!!!

Skates and Rays (not really a shark)

Skates and rays are frequently caught. Unfortunately, their appearance is so unusual that they are commonly killed and tossed overboard. They are, however, established in the European and Asian culinary traditions. They can be used interchangeably, although some species are considered superior to others.

The wings are the only edible part of both skates and rays. Remove them promptly and discard the rest of the body or use it for bait or chum. A sharp knife and a flat surface are required for removing the wings

Basically all sharks are edible if you handle and clean them right.....bleed and gut the fish as soon as possible.

sonarbp

catchandfree
06-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I heard the reason why blue sharks are no good to eat is because they don't have a urinary track and as a result they urinate through their flesh. That is why Maco and thresher sharks are are good to eat because they have a urinary track. I wonder if that is in fact true. Anybody anybody :?

BBL2Baja
06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
I heard the reason why blue sharks are no good to eat is because they don't have a urinary track and as a result they urinate through their flesh. That is why Maco and thresher sharks are are good to eat because they have a urinary track. I wonder if that is in fact true. Anybody anybody :?

I thought that was true of all sharks? No bones, no urinary tract.
No?

Later,
Scott

sonarbp
06-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Very true about the blue sharks pissing throught there skin......The flesh is edible, but not widely sought after the fins for shark-fin soup and the liver for oil. Be careful if you plan on eating a blue shark they are host to several species of parasites. The blue shark is the definite host of the tetraphyllidean tapeworm.

sonarbp

catchandfree
06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
"Very true about the blue sharks pissing throught there skin......The flesh is edible, but not widely sought after the fins for shark-fin soup and the liver for oil. Be careful if you plan on eating a blue shark they are host to several species of parasites. The blue shark is the definite host of the tetraphyllidean tapeworm."

sonarbp

Ahh I see. So it is more of a parasite and tapeworm issue with the blue shark not a pee pee problem since they all go pee pee through their skin. Thanks for the insight. :lol:

hartattack13
06-28-2007, 08:52 AM
How hillarious would that be if we all pee'd through our skin. :oops:

bigfishlittlefish
06-28-2007, 05:18 PM
How hillarious would that be if we all pee'd through our skin. :oops:Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, "I peed in my pants." :lol:

bflf

Troutman65
06-28-2007, 06:30 PM
:rofl:

catchandfree
06-28-2007, 10:09 PM
He buddy why are you sweating? I'm not, I am going pee pee. :oops: