PDA

View Full Version : Old Station/Burney trip 7/25-29

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
07-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Just returned from fishing the Mt Lassen/Old Station and Burney lakes and streams fishing trip.
We fished Hat Creek, Power Stations 1 and 2, Baum Lake, and Battle Creek Resevoir. Fishing Hat Creek was fun wading through and catching lots of small planted rainbows using nightcrawlers and salmon eggs. Both Power Stations both above and below them produced many fish mostly in the 1.25 lb range except for a 4.25 lb brown in the Forebay above Station 1 on a nightcrawler. It was the first time I've been to Battle Creek Res, but we float tubed it and only caught a couple small 10" browns using nightcrawlers. I've heard stories of big fish being caught there so I had to try it.
The best fishing spot of the trip was at Baum Lake. It didn't matter what time of day it was, and since daytime temps got up to over 100 degrees, those fish were on the chew all day long! Using waders or going out in a float tube we were catching up to 25 rainbows in 2 hours of fishing using anything! Since it was so hot out and not much shade to rest in, we fished on and off 2 hours at a time. Lures, baits, or flies, you just couldn't miss. Most of the rainbows were 1.5 to 2 lbs each, great eating fish since they were the holdovers of the Eagle Lake strain of hatchery fish from they year before. The DGF still plants that strain of rainbows at Baum Lake and many other lakes/streams in the area.
The wife and I make this trip every year at the end of July. Having a place to stay for free helps and the last Saturday of July there's a fund raising chicken bbq lunch put on by the Old Station Fire Dept. Small town hospitality at it's best and great food also ! If planning a trip up that way, you've got to try JJ's in Old Station.....Great home style cooking with the best pies you'll ever eat !
All in all another great trip to northern Calif. Hopefully will be returning in October to fish the Pit River.
TTFM

Liteweight
08-01-2009, 12:49 AM
WOW! Sounds like it was a good trip.
I usually make a trip in early June for the Salmon Fly and PMD hatches. Then again in mid-October for the October Caddis hatch and the Brown trout migration.
I love Burney. It's a great little community. I always feel welcome whenever I'm up there. And the scenery can't be beat!!!
LW

FISHNCHIPS
08-07-2009, 10:40 PM
You were right in my back yard. I'm in Hat Creek but I was on the coast that weekend.
Old Station,Hat Creek,Cassel and Burney were all threatened by fires this week but I've heard of only one house being burned. Sugarloaf peak won't look the same for about 100 years.
The fishing is great around here but sorry to say the crappie have vanished from Lake Britton again after being so good last year. 5 times out for one fish.
Bidwell Road trout farmer!
FISHNCHIPS

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
08-11-2009, 08:05 AM
Got the update about those fires....all lightening strikes. One fire started started just on the south side of Old Station, missed my relatives new home which is just below the fire chief's place on top of the hill.....nice to have friends who live near you. There was minor damage since the power was out for 5 or 6 days, everything in the fridge was trash and melted all over the kitchen into the living room. Otherwise glad there was no fire damage. I also heard that the locals that live there year round pooled together with their generators and supplies to survive....what a great bunch of ppl. I hope to be back up there in October to see aftermath and fish the Pit River.
Again, the fire crews did a great job, that's why I wholey support them and their charitable events.
TTFM

sky
09-04-2009, 01:10 PM
On my last trip to Baum Lake I slipped on the goose poop, which covered the dock similar to stepping on a land mine....

I fell on my behind, and ended up smelling like goose poop the rest of the day....

:Razz:

Trout-Tuna-For.Me
09-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I hate it when that happens !!!!!!!!!!