PDA

View Full Version : Shelter Island Pier

desertdropshot
07-29-2009, 08:48 AM
going to be staying very close to Shelter Island Pier this weekend. Any suggestions on tackle and bait. Taking a couple of kids and just want to catch a few fish. Also, any other areas around there in the harbor to catch fish?

sweetfish
07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
All along that stretch is great for fishing spotted bay bass, sand bass, halibut, barracuda, mackeral, and occassional bonefish. Try using 3 - 4 inch grubs on 1/4 to 1/2 round jig heads. Best colors are silver flake, rootbeer, hot pink, white, and chartreuse with silver flake.

If you are using a boat, there are some structure by the navy base that has some sculpin along with bass swimming around them.

For bait fishing, try frozen anchovies, ghost shrimp, bloodworms, and frozen squid.

P.S. Be careful if you catch a mantis shrimp. They are capable of cutting off your finger if not careful with these cats.

TroutOnly
07-30-2009, 07:27 AM
Chovies,,,,,,,

fisherman from long beach
07-30-2009, 07:55 AM
get you some ghost shrimp if you gonna bait and wait its the best bait,imo.

Johnnyblaze2009
07-30-2009, 09:08 AM
i've had the most luck with frozen squid but more luck fishing off the rocks where the parking lot ends and where they launch the boats... remember there is another pier by the convention center and another pier on coronado island that is nice for the family

desertdropshot
08-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the input last week regarding our trip to the pier. We had a great time and caught 10-12 small Sculpin and Rock Bass/Spotted Bass and 1 good size unidentified fish caught by my son. The small strips of squid worked really well. The staff at the baitshop/restaurant were very helpful and helped make the day an outstanding success. I have tried to attach a picture.

DDS