PDA

View Full Version : Late albacore/yellowtail report (Pics added)

Cabin Fever
06-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Well last weekend we had our annual men's fishing trip for our church. We had chartered our usual boat the Mustang out of H&M landing. The boat left the dock at 9:00 Friday and we headed for the tuna grounds. Our bait consisted of some large sardines and anchovies. At daybreak we set out the trolling rigs as Captain Wayne looked for kelp paddies. It wasn't long before he spotted one. We set up for the drift and it wasn't long before yours truly was the first to be bit which resulted in a nice yellowtail. We continued paddy hopping and picking up a couple of yellows here and there until Captain Wayne metered a school and set up a chum line. Several of us got bit. I hooked up using a large sardine and since my son had never caught a pelagic before I handed the rod to him. He did a fine job and the result was his first albacore which weighed in at 24 lbs. It would have been a contender for the jackpot but since it was a hand off it was disqualified. Oh well the smile on his face is worth it. We ended with 10 yellows, 4 bonito,and 10 albacore (for the boat). The deck hand said that the albacore were some of the first caught on bait instead of the troll this year. I will try to add some pics later.

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/2007-1.JPG

http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/2007-2.JPG

4g63power
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
nicely done!your boy looks stoked..thanks for the report...must be a long drive from running springs to san diego

JapanRon
06-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Hi Cabin Fever,

Great job on the whole deal !!

Appreciate the effort on report and pics.

JapanRon

Cabin Fever
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
4g63power-Thanks, this was definitely the highlight of my son's fishing career, and yes the drive down there is long, but not nearly as long as the drive back :D

Japan Ron-Thank you for the kind words.

one_leg
06-26-2007, 10:15 PM
That is so cool. There will many more jackpots to win in the future.
Landing that fish is worth way more than any jackpot.

One_Leg

riverjoon
What an awesome dad.

Congrads on the nice fishies.

riverjoon
What an awesome dad.

Congrads on the nice fishies.

Greg Madrigal
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Awesome report! Congrats to the boy! He's hooked, look out!

Cap'n Wayne is the cooloest, nicest cap'n I've encountered on any moo moo anywhere.

I also remember a story where they rescued a couple of fishermen who were stranded in the middle of the ocean a few years back.

Way cool report, congeats on the yellers 2!

GM

D-PESCADOR
06-27-2007, 09:59 AM
AMEN TO THAT !! nice pics

Cabodude
06-27-2007, 10:08 AM
First albacore for you son means he had to eat the heart right? :lol:

BBL2Baja
06-27-2007, 10:59 AM
Nice report! Good to see a mountain guy get action on the salt!
:thumb: :thumb:

And it's not THAT long of a drive.
You're right though, the drive back is a killer. :wink:

Later,
Scott

Cabin Fever
06-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Thank you everyone for all your kind words. It is important to spend quality time with your kids and a trip like this is the perfect way to do it.

Cabodude- My son was all set to eat the heart and we had asked the deck hand to get it ready but somehow it ended up going over the side when they filleted it. I guess he'll have to eat two next time.

SanDimasLMB
06-27-2007, 03:59 PM
thats also a very nice Albie :thumb: I'm getting the itch, :lol:

servant joe
06-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Wow!
Fish on my friend. Your son must have a fond memory of this fishing trip. My son and I love go fishing together. Seems like he outfishes me all the time.
servantjoe :lol:

SOSO
06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Congrats on the good quality fish! My son is only 1 1/2 and wants to only play with my calstar 800M rod. Future Tuna/ Yellowtail fisherman!!!