PDA

View Full Version : mammoth trip

mr. trout
07-28-2009, 03:32 PM
hey everyone. My family is heading up to mammoth from the 2-5th of august. I been up before in the summer to fish a few times but i have always done terrible. The again, i have just gone off of what i can see and never really researched where to fish. Im hoping to make this trip a good one in mammoth finally. Can anybody help me out with some locations or anything? also, does anybody whow any good places to fish the mammoth creeek? any help is great. thanks.

-mr. trout

Big Country
07-28-2009, 05:27 PM
During the weekend, the creek is hammered hard, but by Tuesday it should be good. I like the section on the east side of the 395 when I have my family and the Owens south of the Benton Crossing bridge is also real easy to fish with the family.

I lake fish in the June Loop so I don't really fish the mammoth lakes. My only advice regarding any of the lakes this time of year is to follow the 1st hour of daylight and last hour of daylight rule. Use very light line, 2lb and set your drag real loose in case a USS Alpers cruises by and decides to eat your offering.

Otherwise have a great time with your family and remember to pick up your trash regardless of where you go!

troutasaurus
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
I just want to echo what Big Country says about light line. It makes a huge difference in catch rates. I have been in situations were I have out fished my partners just because of using light leaders. When I give them some line or they switch to their own light lines they start catching fish. My last fishing trip I forgot my own rule and got skunked on hatchery trout. Not always as dumb as some people think. Next day I switched to light line (I think it was 3lb line) and slew them.

jmurillo74
07-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Lake George Mammoth, take the trail on the right side of the boat docks.

Saddlebag Lake, Lee Vinning/Tioga Pass, rent a boat and head directly across to the two green strips on the mountain face (springs).

Twin Lakes Mammoth, lower lake either side of footbridge, and upper lake by waterfall with float tube or boat.

Liteweight
08-01-2009, 12:04 AM
hey everyone. My family is heading up to mammoth from the 2-5th of august. I been up before in the summer to fish a few times but i have always done terrible. The again, i have just gone off of what i can see and never really researched where to fish. Im hoping to make this trip a good one in mammoth finally. Can anybody help me out with some locations or anything? also, does anybody whow any good places to fish the mammoth creeek? any help is great. thanks.

-mr. trout

The one thing I've learned over the years, fishing can change day to day, week to week. When you get up there, if you're up there before 6p, check with any of the fishing shops up there.
At the risk of sounding like an ad for them, I've been going to "The Troutfitter/Trout Fly" since they bought out the previous owner. In my observation and experience, I've seen people (myself included) come in just for info and not tried to be sold lots of "stuff" like I've seen @ other shops which I will not mention. They have many guides and regulars that will report in and tell them how fishing was that day on a particular lake or stream.
AGAIN just my experience and observation.

FYI: because of budget cuts over the last few years, DFG has been raising and therefore stocking less fish which has resulted in lower than usual catch rates as compared to previous years. This might account for the lack of success on your previous trips. They almost shut down the Hot Creek hatchery a couple of years ago. (I have contacts that have given me this info.) The many business' in the Eastern Sierra have banded together to supplement the stocking program with fish from Alper's. However with the sale of that operation the future is uncertain after this year (I believe).
It also might help to find out the stocking schedule for that week to see if that area is being stocked. Check the Outdoor News website/fish reports for that information.
Hope this helps.
LW

kaiyasdad
08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
i just got back yesterday from june lake. i was there 5 days at the heidelberg inn right in the middle of june. the weather was very hot the first 3 days but the last 2 cooled off a little and the fishing picked up. if you want to fish gull anchor outside the jetty on the left side, looking out onto the lake in about 30ft of water and cast your baits parallel to the jetty. my son and i fished there and caught a bunch of fish all day long . make sure you use a very long leader 5ft to 6ft minimum.