PDA

View Full Version : boat registration?

fisherman from long beach
07-28-2009, 11:08 AM
i bought a boat from the second owner.he never registered the boat in his name he had the boat for a month when i bought it from him,i have the pinks for the boat and trailor,and the original bill of sale from first owner ,im having the the person sign a bill of sale that i bought the boat off him ,is that all i need to register the boat in my name. please advise

sonarbp
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Not to sure about this but as long as you have the pink and the bill of sale you should be fine. You might need the hull# also.

Requirements and Procedures
If you bring a vessel into California and plan on primarily using it here, you must register it first.
Here's how:

In Person
1:Complete the boat application. Locate your bill of sale, invoice, out-of-state title, certificate of origin, or bill of lading.

2:Have your application fee ready.

3:Take all the necessary paperwork to any California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) local office.

4:Display your vessel registration number (CF number) on both sides of the front half of your boat in, at least, 3" block letters that contrast with the color of your boat for easy visibility.

5:If you can't produce some sort of proof of ownership and the vessel's value is at least $2,000, a bond will suffice.

Take a look at this site...it has all the info you will need.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

sonarbp

sonarbp
07-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Oh yeah.....you will need to register the trailer also!

07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
i have pink slips for both trailor and boat,also bill of sell ,but from original owner

07-28-2009, 11:53 AM
a thanks sonarbp,i think i might be alright with everything that i have.

sonarbp
07-28-2009, 11:54 AM
As long as you have the guy you got the boat from sign a bill of sale and you have all the pinks you should be fine.

Sparky70
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Don't worry FFLB, you have all the papers necessary to register your boat.
Just a hint though...Call the DMV and make an appointment, you'll get in and out of there faster that way.

07-28-2009, 06:25 PM
a thanks alot sparky70 ,i got the middle man also to send me the bill of sell