PDA

View Full Version : The Cost of Fishing Today

low dsrt jon
07-28-2009, 08:02 AM
How much more will the average person be gouged to fish in Southern California. All backslapping aside about the new ramp what will the real cost be? The fees are going to keep going up until only a select few can afford to use the lake. Wait until the next gas crisis. Where does the cost of our state license go to fund? Why doesn't the Met. Water District give the people who it gouges every month a break once every hundred years? I myself love Diamond Valley Lake , I was one of the first one hundred boats to register back when. Really how much more can a working person afford to spend to go fishing? What use to be a serene sport is just a big business built for greed. LDJ

tacklejunkie
07-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Get yourself a poppy pass and hit a state park every day.
Best value out there.

JigStop
07-28-2009, 09:52 AM
They should tax the people that use the lake the most, like they do in Texas. The tournement fishermen need to pay more for the privledge of giving all those bass sore mouths and making the weekends so crappy for the other fishermen. The shore fishermen need to be considered too. Just because they can't afford fancy boats doesn't mean they aren't human beings too. The big bass and striper are an indirect result of putting the feeder size trout in there.

Catrack77
07-28-2009, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=tacklejunkie;372184]Get

tacklejunkie
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Here we go again.
It was just a suggestion.
I pay $90 a year and can fish 365 days a year at Perris or Silverwood with fair fishing and sometimes WFO fishing when I figure something out.

Why support those who you think are ripping you off?

I have no idea what he's talking about but it was merely a suggestion. Definitely wasn't ripping on him. I was trying to help him find a less expensive place to fish.

HEMAN
07-28-2009, 12:47 PM
tacklejunkie, don't rip a guy for stating his opinion. Best value out there would have stated your opinion just fine. Now my opinion, best value out there does not make it a good value at all.

Take care
Desert Cat

i don't think TJ meant it as a rip towards the OP. Just sharing an alternative.

Catrack77
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=tacklejunkie;372295]Here we go a

RamboBoy
07-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Maybe I have it all wrong or I misunderstood. So with that said, I am going to ask the question. What the heck is a poppy pass?

Desert Cat

I think TJ meant a poppy pass for "Poppy Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass."

tenderloin
07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
GOLDEN POPPY VEHICLE DAY USE ANNUAL PASS - $90.00

The "Golden Poppy" Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass is valid for motorcycles or passenger vehicles with a capacity of nine persons or less and is valid at 97 state park units where a vehicle day use fee is collected. The pass must be displayed on the rearview mirror or vehicle dashboard as applicable. See the list of parks that accept the Golden Poppy Pass. To purchase a "Golden Poppy" Vehicle Day Use Annual Pass, please visit us at the California State Parks Store.

Note: The "Golden Poppy" Pass will not be honored at high-demand or locally operated parks or at Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreational areas designated as OHV units. The pass is not valid for camping or other supplemental fees such as for tours, swimming pools, boat facilities, or at parks charging per-person entry fees. Lost or stolen passes cannot be replaced and no refunds can be issued.

riverside_angler
07-29-2009, 12:22 AM
i am on this site almost everyday to see what's going on and it amazes me how ignorant people are on this site. one person complains about the cost of fishing, another makes a suggestion, and someone gets all down his throat when he doesn't even know what he's talking about.

take a minute before you open your mouth and research something you don't know about but are willing to make a judgment about.

maybe it's time to wash the sand out of some of these vaginas and consider different ways things may be interpreted.

OMG!

tackle junkie--it's amazing how you keep your cool with some of these responses/attacks. I got your back man.

Lunker1979
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Shut up RiversideAngler! You're just jellous I catch 10x more fish then you everytime we go anywhere. If you can't take any contructive criticism get the hell off here! I know, I
m actually agreeing with you! Ha, you're gay!

fishntime
07-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I for one am willing to fork out a little more to be able to launch my boat, which I specifically bought to be able to fish the "Jewel". Now I understand that not all may be able to afford these high costs, and maybe you could find someone who would be willing to offer you a ride on the back of his or her boat? Or Like TJ said buy a Poppy Pass or buy a year membership to DVL. Just my 2 cents.

diamondbear
07-30-2009, 08:09 PM
I for one love fishing the Jewel and is kinda lucky at this time in my life with this economy to be able to afford the higher prices of fishing nowadays , as this is what is keeping me from selling my paid off boat and get a bigger one . The economy is what kept me from towin my boat up north this summer . things gotta get better , but see you all this spring at the DVL hopefully . // db

Basshole
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
my boat hasn't seen water since last spring. Between Quagga's and low water levels and a crap economy......sheesh!

seal
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Gotta go with TJ, and don't want to get slammed because of it. Fish most everyday at Silverwood on 90 bucks a year. Just bought my new years Poppy in August, think I smiled when I gave the cute chick my 90 bucks. Think it was in one of TJ's posts where I found out about it. Thanks dude!

Fishing can be pricy no doubt, especially if you focus on the pay to fish lakes. But I still say compare it to a night out on the town (movie, dinner, almost anything) it is still a deal. Not to say I accept some of the increases without improvements or government thieves stealing funding for pet environmental projects.

Natural Lefty
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Please understand that what follows is an inevitable rant of mine about DVL (unless the place has a sudden total personality transplant). Personally, I think Diamond Valley Lake is a Rip-Off. That is why I don't go there much, plus whoever I have taken there with me (dad, wife, friend) seem to like DVL even less than I do. DVL seems a fine example of fishing becoming more of a sport for the financially elite. Plus, the people who run Diamond Valley never came through with their promises for fishing facilities and unusual, interesting species there. If you want to see what I mean, check out the article on DVL in Western Outdoors which came out in 1999 or 2000, I believe, or other articles from around that period! It was supposed to have Lake Trout, Sockeye Salmon and Walleye for example in its depths, with several deep water fishing piers, two marinas with adjacent shore fishing, and a second, smaller fishing lake to the east of the main lake. But if you happen to have your own boat and love Bass fishing above all other types of fishing, I suppose Diamond Valley seems really good. Oh that's right, I forgot, I heard the launch ramp is closed due to the low water levels. :Sad:

I get State Parks Sampler passes, which come 7 for $25. That seems about right for me, since I fish lots of different places, but sometimes Perris or Silverwood. I am tempted by the annual State Park Pass, too, which I guess is the same as the Poppy Pass, but I am not sure. TJ, perhaps you can tell me if there is a difference.

Indo-angler
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
I get State Parks Sampler passes, which come 7 for $25........

Where do you get these and do they work for places like Puddingstone and Santa Fe dam?

Natural Lefty
08-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Indo-Angler, to answer your second question first, they do not work at Puddingstone or Santa Fe Dam, because they are not state parks. The State Park Sampler Passes only work at state parks. (I fish Puddingstone sometimes myself, but can't use the passes there.)

The answer to your first question is that they come from the California State Parks Foundation. The address is:

California State Parks Foundation
50 Francisco Street
Suite 110
San Francisco, CA 94133

I copied that address straight from one of their letters to me. I am not sure how they started sending me their invites to donate to them. Perhaps it was because my wife donates money to many causes, so the State Parks came up. Sometimes, they send letters which do not have the option for the State Parks Sampler. Make sure you reply to one that does, and check the box that says you want the State Parks Sampler. About one month later, or less, they will send you a paper which divides into seven little parking passes, all for $25. I think they are happy to recieve the donation. Your going to your favorite state park to fish basically costs them nothing, the State Parks get some funding, and you get cheaper parking, so it is a win-win situation. Good Luck!

P.S. the passes are good for a period of one year. During that time, you cannot get more in your name, but you can have other people in your family get them in their names. For example, mine are good until next April (and only one left), but I was able to get another seven in my wife's name by asking the California State Parks Foundation to give her a gift membership. Thus, my wife and I alternate the parking passes.

Indo-angler
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Indo-Angler, to answer your second question first, they do not work at Puddingstone or Santa Fe Dam, because they are not state parks. The State Park Sampler Passes only work at state parks. (I fish Puddingstone sometimes myself, but can't use the passes there.)

The answer to your first question is that they come from the California State Parks Foundation. The address is:

California State Parks Foundation
50 Francisco Street
Suite 110
San Francisco, CA 94133

I copied that address straight from one of their letters to me. I am not sure how they started sending me their invites to donate to them. Perhaps it was because my wife donates money to many causes, so the State Parks came up. Sometimes, they send letters which do not have the option for the State Parks Sampler. Make sure you reply to one that does, and check the box that says you want the State Parks Sampler. About one month later, or less, they will send you a paper which divides into seven little parking passes, all for $25. I think they are happy to recieve the donation. Your going to your favorite state park to fish basically costs them nothing, the State Parks get some funding, and you get cheaper parking, so it is a win-win situation. Good Luck!

Thanks for the detailed 411!

Natural Lefty
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
And there's even more. See my P.S. We have been doing this for several years and it is still working. :Cool:

Indo-angler
08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Cool way to save money... and help!

SierraSlayer
08-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes I agree, this state is pretty screwed up! After you pay (.36) cents per gallon in fuel tax, pay your car registration (550.00), buy your fishing lisence (50.00), buy all your expensive fishing gear which is also taxed, then have to register your boat, get all your lisences and permits, pay to get in to wherever your going, which isnt cheap, how do they expect someone who doesnt have tons of money to spend on going FISHING! to do? I personally think its ridiculous all these fees and taxes, and permites and lisences to go catch a fish! IMO:Evil:

JL
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Be prepared for bigger increases over the next couple of years. California will tax us through these luxury and use taxes because it cannot raise property or income tax without getting voter approval

Sales tax is up, license fees, state park parking fees jumped $5.00 the Legistature is trying to add several dollars to the cigarette tax, and then this past week they hand out over $300,000 in raises to legistative assistants.

I understand the pain but we live in a state which has spent its way into near bankruptcy and many who live in California have done the same. I spend the money on fishing because I am of the age where I paid out for others for 50 years and now I spend some on me and my wife going fishing.

I understand the pain expressed by the Thread originator. I foresee several years from now the lake opened to recreation boating so MWP can really make a killing on the fees. Lets pay what they ask and hope it is enough to keep the cigar boats and skiers off the lake.

Natural Lefty
08-18-2009, 08:31 PM
JL pretty much hit the nail on the head. Politicians treat tax increases as though they were cancer, and in large part because of the objections of the public over tax increases. Thus, politicians raise other fees and fines instead. This started in earnest in California when Reagan was governor. His preferred way to raise funds was to make students pay for school, licences, registration fees, etc, instead of paying taxes. The problem is that the fees and fines affect the citizens of average means, while taxes are graduated so they affect mostly the wealthy. The reality is that the money must be raised somehow. It is just a matter of how the money is raised, or if not, what to do about the resulting debt.

Recently, Riverside installed cameras at many stoplights in order to give traffic citations. I got one the day after I came back from my trip to Tahoe in the mail. However, after I responded to it, they never gave me an actual citation. I was on the way back from my parents' house, and they said I did not come to a full stop before making a right turn, but apparently, it ended up only being a warning. I wrote about it on my blog. My parents told me that people were getting $400 plus fines from those cameras, so I have been relieved that no actual citation has come in the mail.

smokehound
08-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Man and i thought I was an *******. (referring to riverside angler)

Anywho, with a bunch of parks closing (including pismo beach, BASTARDS) its a good idea to print the list out and make sure your choice is still open before you make a long journey only to find out they gated it off. Of course you could always hop the fence. =D