PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Special 7/27/09

Jackpot Jimmy
07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
The Tradition didn't make it out today, so I decided to hop on the Redondo Special for some good local bass action. The counts for the weekend were pretty good on the calicos, as well as a sprinkle of the exotics. We got our tickets from the office, and the boat arrived at the sportfishing pier to load all the passengers. Our crew today consisted of Captain Eric Hobday, Martin in the galley, and Taras working on deck. Eric advised that we use 20-25# string with a leadhead or a light slider. In addition to that, I also set up my bass rod with a plastic. We headed on down the line soon after.

We arrived at our first spot, where there was little current. I was using my plastic, letting it sink to the bottom, and trying a popping action, which enticed the rockfish. However, this was not what we were looking for, so we went back up the line, and found some good bass fishing. They wanted the squid tipped plastics, or just a leadhead with squid. Taras told us that he tried a shorter shank leadhead the day before, but the fish would get the whole leadhead down inside of the mouth, so he recommended a leadhead with a longer shank, and he said that you may not catch as many bass, but you have a better chance of landing an exotic. We tried a couple more spots yielding some more bass, rockfish, whitefish, and some really nice sargo before Eric called it a trip and we headed for the barn.

After we got back to the pier, a few of us got reride tickets from John in the office, and everyone boarded the boat. We headed down to the same area that produced fish for us in the morning. At our first couple of spots, some guys got some really nice sheephead. We also continued to catch some more bass in addition to the rockfish. We then moved to the best spot of the afternoon, where the squid tipped plastic worked very well. Eric tried a couple more spots after that, which produced little.

Overall it was a good day. We got some nice bass, rockfish, and other bottom grabbers for dinner. Eric did his best putting us on the fish all day, Martin cooked up some really good food in the galley, and Taras was always hard at work on deck. Great times, great fishing!!

Pictures from the afternoon 1/2 day trip.

Bounty o' Bass
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/001-16.jpg

Jackpot Winning Sheephead
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/002-19.jpg

Taras Filleting Fish
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/Jackpot-Jimmy/003-15.jpg

JapanRon
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Hi JackpotJimmy,

I'm kinda disappointed in ya buddy. Why didn't ya go out on the twilight to boot !! j/k well .... kinda j/k !! Used to do it all the time myself ..... especially when the re-ride was only 1/2 price and often free on the last ride if I did the twilight !! They said anybody that fish crazy .....

As always great report .... especially considering how tired you must be !! Good effort on the plastics ! Remember though .... using Squid strips on plastics is CHEATING !! :)

Thanks,

JapanRon

supasportkid
07-28-2009, 07:42 AM
nice detailed report. nice to see all the boats hookin up locally

ghetto dad
07-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice job kid.....we will fish together again soon i hope.....

GD

kill_obet
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
greta job out there bru!

gman444
07-28-2009, 01:43 PM
were there not enough customers for the tradition to run, or was it the bait situation again? Looks like the local fishing has turned on quite a bit though, cool report