PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mission Viejo

dodgers91485
07-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey there everyone..new member here. I noticed that there are no reports or anything on Lake Mission Viejo (probably because they are so strict with who can fish and stuff). Well anyways, here's some pictures of some catfish I have been catching over the past week. I am still new to this lake and havent had much success with the bass. If anyone here has any information that would help me out, it would be greatly appreciated..thanks!

I also caught an albino catfish the other night..does anyone now anything about these guys? haha thanks

goodguy
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
Albino cats are hard to come by. I like to release them because they are a bit rare... Oh well...

Fisherman57
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the board and thanks for the report & pics!

Albino catfish are like all other albino as a result of a genetic anomaly that causes the fish to lack pigment and thereby appear white. There exists albino specimens of all catfish species in the wild but the light coloration makes them easier to spot by predators and it is therefore uncommon with adult albino catfish in the wild.

Albino Channel Catfish has all the traits of the regular Channel catfish.

They have the same well tasting meat, the same quality as a sport fish and they grow to the same size. In fact the record Channel catfish in some states has been albino Channel catfish.

Albino channel catfish are also preferred by some to stock fishing lakes with since the Albino catfish are more easily spotted and allows the fishermen to see that there are fish in the lake even if they are unsuccessful in catching any.

Quoted in part from:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/albino.php

dodgers91485
07-27-2009, 02:40 PM
ahh I see..thanks. Too late on putting him back, as can see by knife protruding from his skull haha.

tacklejunkie
07-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Nioce big kittie there man!
I love getting out for catfish at night every once in a long while.
Some good night fighters gets you going. Never caught one like that though!

DocHolliday
07-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Those are some nice kitties you got there. Thanks for posting.

dodgers91485
07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I have some questions for all you bass fisherman out there, since I am new to freshwater fishing..Lake Mission Viejo has NO structures or anything...except for the docks that line the shores. Plus, the whole bottom of the lake is covered with a LOT of algae. When I rent out a skiff, I usually go from 4-8 pm. What would you recommend is the best way to go for big bass? The thing thats worked best for me is the drop shot with a 5 inch roboworm positioned about 2 feet above the weight in deeper waters and around and between the docks. This has resulted in mostly small bass that range from 1-2 pounds. I've had no luck with the Senko's, artificial hard lures, and nightcrawlers. So from the basic information I've posted about LMV, what would you use for fishing this lake?

Sorry this is a long post, but I hope someone out there has some information to help me become a better bass fisher! Thanks!

basschin
07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Lets those cats go!!!

beerman420
07-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Is mission viejo a private lake or can anybody with a fishing license

goodguy
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
residents and guests only

dodgers91485
07-31-2009, 03:04 AM
yea..residents and guests only. It's like a country club over there, so strict!

Rambogottafish
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Dodgers,
I have fished MV lake on numerous occasions. There is structure all over the lake...tires, blocks, rip rap, docks, etc. If you are going to fish bass use light line 4-6# flourocarbon. If you are in a boat just drive around and look into the water...if it's still as clear as it was...15-20' visibility. For the spawn upgrade to 10#.
RGF

dodgers91485
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Dodgers,
I have fished MV lake on numerous occasions. There is structure all over the lake...tires, blocks, rip rap, docks, etc. If you are going to fish bass use light line 4-6# flourocarbon. If you are in a boat just drive around and look into the water...if it's still as clear as it was...15-20' visibility. For the spawn upgrade to 10#.
RGF

Thanks Rambo,

Yea I have seen the couple of tires out there, some huge tractor tires or something. What are and where are the blocks and rip rap you are talking about? Rip rap by Alicia? And what do you use out there? Thanks

ToadsToadsOnly
08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Dodgers,
RGF

I second that Mission Viejo has alot of structrue plenty of docks, huge tires, cement, rock piles, go buy some polarized sunglasses it would help drastically the visibility at that lake is amazing you would be able to see a lot of bottom structure.

dodgers91485
08-03-2009, 11:40 PM
ahh I c..thanks, I will definitely invest in some polarized sunglasses.. I just hate getting those tanlines haha

camrydad
08-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Tan lines are worth it if you pull one of the nicer size ones. :LOL:

Good luck.