PDA

View Full Version : way below average day

spooks
07-26-2009, 07:19 PM
went out to Oxnard this weekend and found out I'm no Wingnut fish the ventura harbor
for Hali. water was cold, weeds in the water but manageable. saw one jump after bait but to far to reach try Lc,BH, Gulp,and Krocks.
I also fish the rocks for a few sand bass,small Calicos and about 10 Opal eye and butter lips mix in. (I hate fish the rocks. my knees punish for it.)

gotstofish
07-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey spooks what did you catch the opaleyes on.Them halibut in the harbor are not easy because they see alot of pressure.Good luck next time out.gtf

Wingnut
07-26-2009, 08:59 PM
I give you an "A" for trying... keep at it. :Cool: I agree, fishing the rocks can be a pain, literally... and I have a few scars to prove it. :LOL: Hopefully, conditions will improve by next weekend.

spooks
07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
Hey spooks what did you catch the opaleyes on.Them halibut in the harbor are not easy because they see alot of pressure.Good luck next time out.gtf

Mussels on a small treble hook the treble hook holds the mussel better they hold tight to the rooks so you dont have to cast out just drop it as close as possible and game on.

I give you an "A" for trying... keep at it. :Cool: I agree, fishing the rocks can be a pain, literally... and I have a few scars to prove it. :LOL: Hopefully, conditions will improve by next weekend.

i ussually catch one hali on every outing in Long Beach. mostly short one.
Hali is all I fish for, everything else is a by catch. I had never fish for them In Ventura Co.
the weather was horrible fishing was tough I saw lot of people fishing for a skunk
no excuses though. I still have a lot to learn and I did learn some on this trip.

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Mussels on a small treble hook the treble hook holds the mussel better they hold tight to the rooks so you dont have to cast out just drop it as close as possible and game on.

I'm not certain if these bugs are available out that way up north there since the weather is slightly colder than san pedro but I'll give you a little tip:

In san Pedro, on the federal breaker wall, I used to go out on the jetty and catch these little green bugs (not sure whyat they are called) but they look like green cockroaches they are tricky to catch until you find the secret, then it's easy..

Anyway, hook em on a #6-8 short shank hook and dangle 'em 4' to 8' under a bobber and fish e'm right near the rocks, where the the water is in a torrent or eddy (usually 2-6' from the rocks)...I used to slay 2-3 lb opalye there regularly and it's common to nail a few 3-5 lb garabaldi too...I'm not kidding, these things are deadly and those opalye there are ALL TOADS !

try it out sometime, opalye are some good eats too !

Check it out !

Gary

spooks
07-27-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm not certain if these bugs are available out that way up north there since the weather is slightly colder than san pedro but I'll give you a little tip:

In san Pedro, on the federal breaker wall, I used to go out on the jetty and catch these little green bugs (not sure whyat they are called) but they look like green cockroaches they are tricky to catch until you find the secret, then it's easy..

Anyway, hook em on a #6-8 short shank hook and dangle 'em 4' to 8' under a bobber and fish e'm right near the rocks, where the the water is in a torrent or eddy (usually 2-6' from the rocks)...I used to slay 2-3 lb opalye there regularly and it's common to nail a few 3-5 lb garabaldi too...I'm not kidding, these things are deadly and those opalye there are ALL TOADS !

try it out sometime, opalye are some good eats too !

Check it out !

Gary

THANKS FOR THE TIP.v
I know the bugs you are speaking of,I didn't see any in Ventura.
I don't go out there much, since I live in Azusa. any ways great tip,only one problem you left out the secret on how to catch them.