PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the Bass Pro Shop tank 7-26

tacklejunkie
07-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Stopped by bass pro today again like every day to mess around for a few.
This time I got to watch some dude fish for the fish in the tank with a tiny mini trout jig with no hook on it.

It was pretty cool to watch. Learned a few things as I've never seen someone fish in a clear tank on a demo like that before. Dude "caught" every fish in the tank on just the tube jig in 2 minutes even though the fish had already been fed. One time he threw it in there and one of the massive carp hammered it and sat there whoofing his jaws open and shut on it like he was chewing it down. Pretty cool to see the carp nail the jig like that on the fall! Almost ripped the rod out of dude's hand. :LOL:

Anyways, not sure how often they do this but they have a sign with feeding hours and all that if you want to take the kids down to watch. You can probably call them and find out when they are doing the demos and learn a few things just from watching how the fish act! The striper and catfish were fun to watch as well! Striper are super finicky and sketchy! The gills have to school up to keep from being chased down!
Go check it out if you get a chance and if you have already, sweet! :LOL:
I took some video.. I'll see if I can SSH it out of my iphone later tonight because I took it with a hacked cycorder. :Razz: Sorry for the crumby pictures and you can't see the tube jig but it's out there where all the fish are circling and the bass are eyeballin' it. They all took it on the fall. Didn't even have to jig it..

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BPS%20fishing/bassproandKeithsdog001.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BPS%20fishing/bassproandKeithsdog002.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BPS%20fishing/bassproandKeithsdog004.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BPS%20fishing/bassproandKeithsdog005.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/BPS%20fishing/bassproandKeithsdog006.jpg

steve092
07-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Haha, I thought, damn, some how some way you got to fish in the proverbial barrel!

Cool post!

DccFISHerMan
07-26-2009, 03:31 PM
damn that woulda been cool to see

dropshot king
07-26-2009, 03:46 PM
was theer a hook on the jig and if soo did he pull any of the fish out the tank

mickeysindahouse
07-26-2009, 04:02 PM
was theer a hook on the jig and if soo did he pull any of the fish out the tank

I think he already said it...

Stopped by bass pro today again like every day to mess around for a few.
This time I got to watch some dude fish for the fish in the tank with a tiny mini trout jig with no hook on it.

fishntime
07-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Pretty crazy, to see that I bet? I wonder if those fish act any different, from the ones in our local lakes. Being that they are in a tank, and dont get to hunt their prey. Like the fish in large lakes.

bass assassin#23
07-26-2009, 05:30 PM
not to say that i haven't done this before:Secret: but, i would like to do that with some big swimbaits. (with no hooks of course)

DCCTrouserTrout
07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been there when they were throwing crawdads in and that was pretty cool. I wish I could see them do a demo like that sometime..

tacklejunkie
07-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Pretty crazy, to see that I bet? I wonder if those fish act any different, from the ones in our local lakes. Being that they are in a tank, and dont get to hunt their prey. Like the fish in large lakes.
I'm sure they act differently.
It's not every day a huge carp will pounce on a trout jig the second it hits the water. If those fish really are from Mathews, then I've heard stories that those fish can fly amongst other wild things.
Probably why they would pounce on the jig, along with many other factors.

I did learn that carp have extremely good eyesight though. For some reason I didn't think that was the case. I know they do randomly bite bass gear here locally but I thought it may have been a scent thing. Now I know differently and they will even readily hit reaction! No surprise why Matt and I foul hook them suckers all the time on hardbaits. I know they're checking them out down there! :LOL: I hooked a big carp on a cricket once but that was bait.

Watching the striper schoolies go for the bait around the other fish was interesting as well. Similar to when I see them follow my bait in at the wood. Very fast and indecisive about their actions. They would only go for the jig when the guy let it fall steadily. If he jigged the jig, they would turn away instantly.

The huge gills wouldn't stop following the bait around but they never went for it while I was watching. Maybe because of the size of the jig or they were nervous about the rest of the commotion going on. I think I saw them nip at the legs on the jig once. Akin to when I bring up bass jigs with missing legs after feeling bluegill nibbles on the water.

The bass were all over the little jig repeatedly. No surprises there, I've caught the same fish twice on the same day on the same body of water in the middle of summer. Same plastic even.

You can learn so much from watching those fish play with baits. If anything, it shows you that you could theoretically catch any fish specie in that tank at your local lake with a trout jig if everything lines up right! Just a simple little jig. I must have a hundred of them and only thrown them once or twice..

HuskerRod
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Is the guy fishing that guide that used to fish out of DVL with the G3 ponton boat with downriggers.......? I think his name was Mark or Mike Franco?

huskerrod

exfactor
07-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I have caught every species of fish in a lake with a crappie jig. I have caught at least a dozen carp on crappie jigs. no surprise there.

Pete Marino
07-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I do seminars and demos in the bass tank at Bass Pro Shop pretty often now... Its alot of fun and a great way for people to learn how fish react to certain baits..
I of course use cut hooks when I do my demos..
The bass grab the baits and hold on to them for a long time sometimes before they let it go...
I had one of the monster bass hold onto my bait a couple weeks ago for like 3-4 mintues while everyone watched in amazement... Finally I was able to shake it off.. It was a blast though..
I'll be doing more seminars and demos there in the coming weeks..
I'll post something here when Im gonna do the next one so you guys can go check it out if you want..

Pete:Cool:

PetemarinoGuideService.com
(909) 510-5679

dragonrpc
07-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Is the guy fishing that guide that used to fish out of DVL with the G3 ponton boat with downriggers.......? I think his name was Mark or Mike Franco?

huskerrod

I suspect your refereing to Mark (dont remember his last name) a few of us used him as a guide 3-4 years ago when I think his nickname was "troutchaser" or somethign close to that, I cant quite tell but it doesn't really look like the guy at the bass pro tank.

A very successfull and fun day if I recall see the catch pict as well