PDA

View Full Version : Looking into flyfishing for panfish

Ifishtoolittle
07-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Well I think it's time and I'm ready to try flyfishing. I will mainly try for panfish at city parks. I just have one question what flies work for panfish in murky city park lakes? Nymphs? I have a cheap fly rod set-up from Big 5. It's a 5 wt flyrod, but as far as the the size reel I'm not too sure what it is. So yeah if anyone can suggest fly types I'd appreciate it, thanks!

-Ifishtoolittle

Natural Lefty
07-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Ifishtoolittle, my fly rod is some old thing my dad gave me a long time ago, but it gets the job done usually. Actually, I find the bobber and fly method more convenient while using flies on most occasions. It certainly casts a lot farther. I use flies pretty frequently for panfish, except during the colder months, and I find that they are usually not very particular about the pattern. The main thing is to make it look alive and within catching range for the fish. Even my 6 and 7 year old nieces were catching them in April at Perris Lake on a fly, just following my basic instructions. My wife catches them too, but she has more experience than my nieces.

Sometimes, they do focus on one type of fly or another that they are feeding on though. If you see swarms of flies, try to find something which resembles them. Some of my favorite patterns for panfish are smaller sizes of: Black Ants, Mosquitos, anything midge-like, Adams, Royal Coachmen, Smaller Wooly Worms and Wooly Buggers, Zug Bugs, Prince Nymphs, and Green or Orange Scuds. Of course, some of these are more subsurface flies, others more surface type flies. I often use the bead-headed forms of Zug Bug, Prince Nymph, or Wooly Worm, but not always. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

NICKYMOUSE8
07-26-2009, 09:13 PM
Please practice catch & release ifishtoolittle!!!!!!!!

Ifishtoolittle
07-26-2009, 09:28 PM

Oh don't worry I only stock up on gills' twice a year and on the outing that I keep fish will normally only take 20. Of the 20 the Bluegills will mainly be in the 6" range, but not larger than 8".

Ifishtoolittle
07-26-2009, 09:30 PM
Ifishtoolittle, my fly rod is some old thing my dad gave me a long time ago, but it gets the job done usually. Actually, I find the bobber and fly method more convenient while using flies on most occasions. It certainly casts a lot farther. I use flies pretty frequently for panfish, except during the colder months, and I find that they are usually not very particular about the pattern. The main thing is to make it look alive and within catching range for the fish. Even my 6 and 7 year old nieces were catching them in April at Perris Lake on a fly, just following my basic instructions. My wife catches them too, but she has more experience than my nieces.

Sometimes, they do focus on one type of fly or another that they are feeding on though. If you see swarms of flies, try to find something which resembles them. Some of my favorite patterns for panfish are smaller sizes of: Black Ants, Mosquitos, anything midge-like, Adams, Royal Coachmen, Smaller Wooly Worms and Wooly Buggers, Zug Bugs, Prince Nymphs, and Green or Orange Scuds. Of course, some of these are more subsurface flies, others more surface type flies. I often use the bead-headed forms of Zug Bug, Prince Nymph, or Wooly Worm, but not always. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Thanks for the info man!

smokinflies
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
have fun with that fly rod ifish.

i've read his past reports and he does practice cpr. doing it safely is another story. j.k ifish.

Natural Lefty
07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Actually, keeping some fish can be good for the fishery (and your diet) where they are numerous. It prevents stunting. Just don't be a pig about it.

Ifishtoolittle
07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Actually, keeping some fish can be good for the fishery (and your diet) where they are numerous. It prevents stunting. Just don't be a pig about it.

Yah definitely.