PDA

View Full Version : hiro @ gary pound the surf-the surf pounds back

gletemfeelsteelgary
07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
we went out there with full knowledge that the nhigh surfs were going to be hell to contend with......

BUT 5 ninutes into it, I told Hiro "what the hell were we thinking "

we got pounded by the surf at the 1st spot b4 we could get into casting range..

2nd spot we managedthrough allot of driving, to find slightly more access...

10 casts into it, I nailed a nice fat barred surfperch on a LC...
(sorry no pic,didnt carry the camera in this harsh enviroment)

off to new shores we went...trying to scratch some fishability out of our trip..

I was BEAT down....I fished at 6 am b4 work friday, after work at the duct till 2am then metup with Hiro at 4am for this pounding.....

We discussed a new gameplan seaching out some protected waters we found a spot 20 minutes away or so...I took a quick nap on the ride which which tallied my sleep for the night to an hour or less..

we got to a protected little beach out in channell islands harbor, fished it and got a few bites but no fish, we worked our way out onto the short jetty for about 10 more strikes but still no fish..

back to the car and off to different zone we fished about 4 other zones for no fish..

then I saw a cool little crecent bend of the beach that met the jettyline, my spidey senses were tingling as I didnt say a word just started fishing, right where the rocks started I walked out about 30 yards which allowed me a parralel cast to the surfline and into a little trough I could feel that had formed from the inflow right flowing current and the outgoing hard left rip current that was STRONG.....

I fished the gulp alive minnow on a jighead through and over the trough...the waves were HUGE ! the incomming tides wer drivin them into a frenzy and they were crashing into the rocks and surfline with no level of predictabilility, this area had a small t-jetty in the area but it still had a partial face to open water....

Hookup !.......I look over at Hiro as he looked at me in disbeleif, I felt that familiar thumping and it was kinda weighty...

as the battle went on I looked over at Hiro and gave him a huge nod of my head in confirmation....ahhh yes, this looked to be in legl range...

after a wonderous challengin battle in the heavy surf and rock, right in the footer of the rocks Hiro aids me in landing him (thanks buddy)

turns out to be a legal and I am freaking shocked that I actually pulled it off !
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/garywuebben/channelislandsharborhalibut7-25-200.jpg

another 15 minutes of working the gulp didnt produce anything else so I thought I
d expand my cast zone so I fished a crocodile....about 30 casts or so revealed a vilolent stike and when I felt the hook seat well, I instantly saw halibut color...that sucka came up HIGH for it...I was fishing maybe 6-10' of water and that sucka came up high cause I was unning it at the mid water collum....

I landed it and released ....it was about 1an 18 incher
(sorry no pic)

another 50 casts or so revealed another HUGE strike !

Hookup ! thumping away, this sucka was Huge ang weighty ! I couldnt get the upper hand on 'em as he peeled some drag...shakin; away, that fishy got the upper hand on me and shook my croc...(next outing I am changing those stock hooks !)

Dayam, that sucka felt to be in the 15 lb class or better easy.....oh well...another fish story I guess and again the feesh won ! (dayam !)

I had 1 other other violent strike but no hookup !

Sorry for not taking more pics but I got hammered by the waves and actually 3 HUGE waves swamped me at 3 different times leaving me COMPLETELY soaked !

I did take a photo of the legl which I'll add later..

I was happy to be able to scratch anything out at all in those conditions, it was TOUGH going out there, I wouldnt recomend anyone else try that !

Unfortunatly Hiro didnt get any action but I'm sure he'll make those suckas pay on the next outing

Gary

BIGRED KILLA
07-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Wow you pulled it off:Thumbs Up: .. Nice job out there Gary you got on the flat fish and a legal despite the nasty weather you earned those fish good call on the spidey senses. Thanks for the report cant wait to see the pics better luck next time Hiro.

Bigred

bones
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Great Job Gary!

CI harbor has been a tough place to catch fish this year but it looks like you had the touch!

Wingnut
07-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I tried to warn you about trying to fish the open beaches Gary. :LOL: Glad you retreated and found some protected areas to fish. Too bad aboutt he lost fish... sounds like a big Hali. :Neutral: