PDA

View Full Version : What flies are good to use around the inland enmipre

christainmetalhead909
07-26-2009, 10:39 AM
im new to fly fishing and was wondering what flies worked around the inland empire area, like big bear, sar, gregory, ect. what size also.

smokinflies
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
what type of fish are you targeting?

christainmetalhead909
07-26-2009, 04:32 PM
o ya that may be important lol. trout sory.

rusty6
07-26-2009, 04:42 PM
i've found taht a small caddis flie works about anywhere haha so my assumption is that it will probably work there too

tacklejunkie
07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
"Stimulator" flies work just about anywhere. All different sizes for all kinds of fish. The ol reliable "Elk Hair Caddis" is a good go to surface fly for trout.

I usually like a size 14 or 16 for creek trout. You might try something a little bigger at the lakes and fall back to 14-16 if you don't get hit.

"Parachute Adams" works on gills on the surface in catfish cove at Gregory. Lots of things do actually.

DCCTrouserTrout
07-26-2009, 06:33 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the good ol' wooly bugger. They will pretty much catch anything...

tacklejunkie
07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
The wooly bugger is another great one.
It helped me learn my confidence in fly fishing all together.
I used to tie little tiny red bead head wooly buggers in size 14 for the creek when I first started.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/tacklejunkie/Tiny%20Wilds%2012-20/CIMG2163.jpg

Natural Lefty
07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Christainmetalhead, see my answer to the flyfishing for panfish post in this section. The same patterns that work for panfish also usually work for trout. A couple of my favorites were already mentioned -- the Adams and Wooly Worms.

Tackle Junkie, I have also caught Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds on flies at Catfish Cove in Lake Gregory on occasion, but usually I catch a bunch of small Crappies on jigs there. Unfortunately, I have developed a really bad allergy to the Cottonwood Trees there while they are blooming, so I haven't gone that much the past few years. :Crying:

christainmetalhead909
07-26-2009, 10:56 PM
thank you so much for all the good information, ill go buy some more flies to replace the ones i lost in the trees at rock creek, haha. thanks again. i love fly fishing but im still getting used to it. also where is the cheapest place to get some waders? if there is a place to get cheap ones.

DCCTrouserTrout
07-27-2009, 07:45 AM
thank you so much for all the good information, ill go buy some more flies to replace the ones i lost in the trees at rock creek, haha. thanks again. i love fly fishing but im still getting used to it. also where is the cheapest place to get some waders? if there is a place to get cheap ones.

Bass pro has some cheap ones I think. I actually got mine at Sports Chalet awhile back for about 80 bucks. I have had them for about 2 or 3 years now and haven't leaked a drop of water... I think they are the Hodgman Wadelites...

Skyler
07-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Around here I find Mayfly imitations outfish caddis imitations, mainly because there are way more mayflies around here. Any Adams or baetis pattern will work well for dries. As for wet flies, wet Hendricksons and San Juan worms own up in these hills. For lake fishing, streamers like woolly buggers and muddler minnows are the hot ticket.

christainmetalhead909
07-27-2009, 08:29 AM
thanks man ill start looking around im suprised that sports chalet it was cheaper there stuff is a little more expensive. but they have some really good deals some times.

christainmetalhead909
07-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Around here I find Mayfly imitations outfish caddis imitations, mainly because there are way more mayflies around here. Any Adams or baetis pattern will work well for dries. As for wet flies, wet Hendricksons and San Juan worms own up in these hills. For lake fishing, streamers like woolly buggers and muddler minnows are the hot ticket.

thanks skyler, ya i have seen a lot of mayflies at my work just chillen on the wall wich i thought was funny there is no water by where im working at. but at one time the walls were covered with them they were every where.

steve092
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Bass Pro sells the Bone dry waders for a decent price. I bought one pair with boots for about $90, and I bought another pair without boots for 70 or so (and last time I saw them, they were on sale for $40 in an ad!)

tacklejunkie
07-27-2009, 05:10 PM
Tackle Junkie, I have also caught Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds on flies at Catfish Cove in Lake Gregory on occasion, but usually I catch a bunch of small Crappies on jigs there. Unfortunately, I have developed a really bad allergy to the Cottonwood Trees there while they are blooming, so I haven't gone that much the past few years. :Crying:
Ah yes, I do believe a few of us here have spent a warm summer evening or two jiggin' crappies out of the cove. I went looking for a picture, but the collection is getting vast. Maybe next trip :Wink: